Why no Mike Keenan 2nd tour of duty in early 2000s?

NYRfan11

Jun 20, 2006
OK, so exactly what the thread title says. We all the know the glory and then abrupt break up / hard feelings with Neil Smith in '94.
  • He always said years later that he regretted only being here for one season.
  • We all know about nostalgia and how the Rangers loved bringing guys back in those days for 2nd and 3rd tours.
  • Keenan had 5 subsequent stops after NY.
  • Sather loved nostalgia / a good redemption story and so does the NY media market.
  • Obviously those were the Dark Ages so not like other coaches were having success either.
Why didn't this happen at some point? Was it Sather being loyal to his EDM guys / Ron Low? Was it the Trottier 40 page handwritten note? Are we ever gonna see that note btw? I wonder what it would go for at auction. I'd drop a few hundred bucks.

Do we know if it ever was considered or came close? I was around in those days, and think I remember it coming up from time to time with Brooksie, but don't remember if there ever was a timing fit even.

Reactions: egelband

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
OK, so exactly what the thread title says. We all the know the glory and then abrupt break up / hard feelings with Neil Smith in '94.
  • He always said years later that he regretted only being here for one season.
  • We all know about nostalgia and how the Rangers loved bringing guys back in those days for 2nd and 3rd tours.
  • Keenan had 5 subsequent stops after NY.
  • Sather loved nostalgia / a good redemption story and so does the NY media market.
  • Obviously those were the Dark Ages so not like other coaches were having success either.
Why didn't this happen at some point? Was it Sather being loyal to his EDM guys / Ron Low? Was it the Trottier 40 page handwritten note? Are we ever gonna see that note btw? I wonder what it would go for at auction. I'd drop a few hundred bucks.

Do we know if it ever was considered or came close? I was around in those days, and think I remember it coming up from time to time with Brooksie, but don't remember if there ever was a timing fit even.
I think a lot of it was Keenan wore out his welcome here in a year. It was a huge year, but so much crap happened around the franchise and with the players that it would have been hard to bring him back to the org. He also was notably power hungry and Sather would never bring someone here that he would've had to constantly fight or try to keep in place. Keenan was borderline crazy at times. Sometimes crazy works in spurts, but it isn't what you want at the foundation of your organization.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
There was definitely some buzz when Bure came to New York. He was employed most of that time period though. He was fired by Florida 15 games into 2003-04. If he were available the previous summer, when Sather was turned down by Larry Robinson and I think others, I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been back for a second go.

PAVEL RAVES ABOUT KEENAN

NYRfan11

Jun 20, 2006
There was definitely some buzz when Bure came to New York. He was employed most of that time period though. He was fired by Florida 15 games into 2003-04. If he were available the previous summer, when Sather was turned down by Larry Robinson and I think others, I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been back for a second go.

PAVEL RAVES ABOUT KEENAN

Great find! Especially, the last line, quote from Sather: “I like Mike,” he said. “We’ve worked together in the past and always gotten along. But I haven’t thought about it for a second.”

Also interesting how they were openly talking about Keenan coaching the Rangers while he was still coach of the Panthers coming to the Garden that night.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Read Barry Meisel’s book about the Rangers 1993-94 season and afterwards you shouldn’t find it at all hard to figure out why that ship sailed away forever.

Keenan was trying to sign a deal with the Blues while the Rangers were in the playoffs. That was illegal and that was the last of many straws. He’s basically a backstabbing POS.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he left.
he chose to try to leave.
he had a Cup winning team.
At his direction, long time and/or high-end contributors and future stars were moved out to satisfy
he left.
why bring him back?
"fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me"
I can't think of any coach or player who made it more clear that he should never rejoin

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The dead puck era & 7 years of no playoffs was bad enough. Mike Keenan returning wouldn't have made any difference results wise, but I'm sure there would've been plenty of drama added for the season or two he might've lasted.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I've heard this many times, but never got the details: what is the deal with the handwritten letter? Was it a resume?

Trottier submitted 40 handwritten pages in response to a questionnaire Sather sent out in connection with his coaching search.

Sather wrongfully interpreted this as good hustle, when in reality Trots was just a big dummy that didn’t know how to use a computer.

Reactions: NYR94

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Trottier submitted 40 handwritten pages in response to a questionnaire Sather sent out in connection with his coaching search.

Sather wrongfully interpreted this as good hustle, when in reality Trots was just a big dummy that didn’t know how to use a computer.
Lol "Does this computer come with the internet and email pre-installed and how do I download more RAM?" - Trottier

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
he left.
he had a Cup winning team.
At his direction, long time and/or high-end contributors and future stars were moved out to satisfy
he left.
why bring him back?
"fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me"
I can't think of any coach or player who made it more clear that he should never rejoin
this read like a rupi kaur poem lol

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

Much better than I thought, breathtaking. Thank you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad