Why isn't Pierre Turgeon in the hall of fame?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Sure, Kariya was competing with Gretzky and Messier, but those guys were both 34 when Kariya entered the league! Kudos to him for almost keeping up with them. Turgeon was going head-to-head with both of those great centers in their prime and also was taking on Oates, Lafontaine, Yzerman, Mario et al.

70 points is pretty substantial. And the fact that Turgeon had 15 of these seasons (adjusted for era) and Kariya only eight (adjusted for era) is pretty remarkable. That shows how Turgeon's career really dominates Kariya's. Again, these totals are adjusted for era so you can't whine about the DPE.

And just give it up with the AS voting already. OK, he edged out Ryan Smyth or John LeClair for a few years but really this actually detracts from your argument of Kariya's "greatness" the fact that you have to bring this up over and over again.

My Best-Carey
Why just focus on messier and Gretzky and completely bypass all the other great centers while he was playing?....

Turgeon didn't go "head to head" with anyone. That's my point. Jeremy Roenick had more AS recognition than Turgeon did for crying out loud, so did Sundin....but your still hooked on this idea that Turgeon was somehow in the mix with guys like Lemieux and Yzerman...he wasn't going to catch those guys, he could barely keep up with Gilmore and LaFontaine.

It's only "substantial" because you say it is and are once again trying to make something insignificant, significant. Of course Turgeon had a better CAREER production wise, he played in a higher scoring era and played much longer....we are talking about peak/prime. I feel like I'm talking to a wall...

Belittle it all you want. Make it seem less important, it still happened, hey was still recognized. Get over it

Kariya beat out guys like LeClair, Shanahan, Tkachuk, Demitra, and Robitaille....all while Turgeon was sharing votes with Mike Ricci, and Victor Kozlov....but please continue to name drop...

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Why just focus on messier and Gretzky and completely bypass all the other great centers while he was playing?....
In Kariya's famous 2nd place Hart trophy year the big time C he beat out were Gretzky (age 36), Messier (36), Lemieux (31-last year before retiring, had 28 points more than Kariya), Francis (33), Oates (34), Yzerman (31), Gilmour (33). So by insinuating that Kariya was better than Turgeon because he outplayed these guys while Turgeon didn't is false.

Turgeon's best years were lined up smack in the middle of the aforementioned players mid to late 20's peak and AS votes were on the old 1-2-3 system. Turgeon at LW would've made multiple AS teams.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'm not seeing the numbers posted above.

Looks like HR has it as:
70+ point seasons
Turgeon = 9 (raw) / 13 (ea)
Kariya = 7 (raw) / 9 (ea)
Sorry. That's right. 13-9. I was double-counting a couple of years when Turgeon was dealt mid-season. I apologize.

My Best-Carey

decma

Feb 6, 2013
The whole debate in general was peak vs peak anyway, and in his peak, Kariya was a Hart Nominee. Turgeon never was. You of course decided to belittle that because once again, it hurts your argument so you justify it with "well both were in the top 5." As if that warrants. Similarity between being 5th and 2nd in Hart voting.

So no, no one is ignoring anything. The main focus was their primes. Even when they were in the league together...
Kariya: 95-07: 821-366-500-866
Turgeon: 95-07: 751-259-432-691

The whole debate was not peak vs. peak. This thread is about why Turgeon is not in the Hall and during the debate Turgeon's credentials have been compared to various HoF players including Sittler, Sundin, Oates, Modano, and, most extensively, Kariya.

Peak vs. peak is part of the comparison, but it is by no means the be all and end all.

Reactions: frisco

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Kariyas point totals were actually already proven to be more valuable due to the lower scoring era he played in. You got a taste of your own medicine and didn't like it. Adjusted points once again aren't the actually point totals or finishes that were indicated.

When were Kariya's point totals already proven to be more valuable due to the lower scoring era he played in? In the adjusted points metric favored by you and RB, VsX, Kariya comes out ahead in shorter-term comparisons and Turgeon comes out ahead in longer-term comparisons. On a comparison of best 10 seasons using VsX, they are nearly identical (slight edge to Turgeon).

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
When were Kariya's point totals already proven to be more valuable due to the lower scoring era he played in? In the adjusted points metric favored by you and RB, VsX, Kariya comes out ahead in shorter-term comparisons and Turgeon comes out ahead in longer-term comparisons. On a comparison of best 10 seasons using VsX, they are nearly identical (slight edge to Turgeon).
It was a few pages back, feel free to browse. And it was comparing their best seasons

In Kariya's famous 2nd place Hart trophy year the big time C he beat out were Gretzky (age 36), Messier (36), Lemieux (31-last year before retiring, had 28 points more than Kariya), Francis (33), Oates (34), Yzerman (31), Gilmour (33). So by insinuating that Kariya was better than Turgeon because he outplayed these guys while Turgeon didn't is false.

Turgeon's best years were lined up smack in the middle of the aforementioned players mid to late 20's peak and AS votes were on the old 1-2-3 system. Turgeon at LW would've made multiple AS teams.

My Best-Carey
It has nothing to do with them being old, it's the simply fact that he was recognized as a Hart Nominee. But once again, let's ignore guys like Sakic, Lindros, Forsberg, Sundin, and Modano. Lemieux won the Art Ross that year, Gretzky was a 2nd team AS....age literally had nothing to do with where Kariya ended up.

Ok then, keep living in your alternative hockey world where everything falls perfectly with your argument and where all your excuses actually make sense.....but this is the real world.

Turgeons best years where he could barely get more than one vote? Once again, age had nothing to do with it, he just simply wasn't a stand out player.
The whole debate was not peak vs. peak. This thread is about why Turgeon is not in the Hall and during the debate Turgeon's credentials have been compared to various HoF players including Sittler, Sundin, Oates, Modano, and, most extensively, Kariya.

Peak vs. peak is part of the comparison, but it is by no means the be all and end all.
Yes It was, that's where the roots of the debate between Frisco and I stem from which one had the better peak. Frisco is under the impression that Turgeon had the better peak.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Yes It was, that's where the roots of the debate between Frisco and I stem from which one had the better peak. Frisco is under the impression that Turgeon had the better peak.
Yet, the player that "clearly" had the more valuable peak had best finishes in points/game of 4th, 5th, and 7th while the other had five top ten finishes of 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th. Kariya is the former, Turgeon the latter. At best you could say Kariya's peak is about the same as Turgeon's while Turgeon had a few more big years. In no way is Kariya's peak superior. If anything, the other way.

That being said, Kariya and Turgeon both played 15+ years in the league. To focus on just the best three, five, or seven of them is ignoring half or more of their careers. When is a smaller sample size better?

My Best-Carey

decma

Feb 6, 2013
It was a few pages back, feel free to browse. And it was comparing their best seasons

RB posted the VsX data in posts 618 and 723 of this thread. Turgeon has the better adjusted points totals (using VsX) for periods of ten seasons or longer.

If you want to restrict the debate to seven seasons or fewer, then, yes, Kariya had the better adjusted points peak using VsX.

But (as Frisco just said) why restrict the comparison to best seven seasons? If we are trying to evaluate whether Turgeon belongs in the HofF, and to compare his credentials to Kariya's, wouldn't it be better to examine their entire careers? Or at least a period longer than seven seasons?

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
It has nothing to do with them being old, it's the simply fact that he was recognized as a Hart Nominee. But once again, let's ignore guys like Sakic, Lindros, Forsberg, Sundin, and Modano. Lemieux won the Art Ross that year, Gretzky was a 2nd team AS....age literally had nothing to do with where Kariya ended up.
Age has everything to do with it. If Kariya was actually up against prime Gretzky, Messier, and Lemieux (and Yzerman, Oates, Lafontaine, Turgeon) he wouldn't have garnered Hart votes. Even in his one top five finish he still was outpointed on a per game basis by Jagr, Lindros, Lemieux. Considering that one season is the sum total of your Kariya argument it falls very flat.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
If you want to restrict the debate to seven seasons or fewer, then, yes, Kariya had the better adjusted points peak using VsX.
Of course, VsX (seven years or shorter) is the only "advanced" statistic that is deemed valid. All the others are conveniently ignored.

My Best-Carey

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yet, the player that "clearly" had the more valuable peak had best finishes in points/game of 4th, 5th, and 7th while the other had five top ten finishes of 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th. Kariya is the former, Turgeon the latter. At best you could say Kariya's peak is about the same as Turgeon's while Turgeon had a few more big years. In no way is Kariya's peak superior. If anything, the other way.

That being said, Kariya and Turgeon both played 15+ years in the league. To focus on just the best three, five, or seven of them is ignoring half or more of their careers. When is a smaller sample size better?

My Best-Carey
Why is PPG a "clear cut" way to decide? Why throw out Hart and AS voting, and Kariyas better finishes in points, goals, and assists....and focus on PPG? I wonder why....

Kariyas peak saw better offensive production, better point, goal, and assists finishes, while being a multiple time AS, and a Hart Nominee....they aren't close. What did Turgeon do in his peak that makes it close OUTSIDE of PPG? It's only close to you because you like to play the "should of could of and would have" game, all while belittling anything that hurts your argument.
RB posted the VsX data in posts 618 and 723 of this thread. Turgeon has the better adjusted points totals (using VsX) for periods of ten seasons or longer.

But (as Frisco just said) why restrict the comparison to best seven seasons? If we are trying to evaluate whether Turgeon belongs in the HofF, and to compare his credentials to Kariya's, wouldn't it be better to examine their entire careers? Or at least a period longer than seven seasons?
I never restricted anything to 7 seasons, I have no idea where your getting that from. I've always compared their peaks to 96-00 and 90-94, 5 years a piece, where within those 5 years, they were at their best. Kariyas top seasons within those 5 years are statistically better than anything Turgeon did within his 5 year span.
Age has everything to do with it. If Kariya was actually up against prime Gretzky, Messier, and Lemieux (and Yzerman, Oates, Lafontaine, Turgeon) he wouldn't have garnered Hart votes. Even in his one top five finish he still was outpointed on a per game basis by Jagr, Lindros, Lemieux. Considering that one season is the sum total of your Kariya argument it falls very flat.

My Best-Carey
No, age has nothing to do with it when those players your listing were still relevant and being at the top...it's just another excuse for pulling to try to build up Turgeons credit as a center.

Your probably right, but again, that's not how it happened, and Turgeon put up some great seasons around that same time frame we are talking about...
1996: 80-38-58-96
1997: 78-26-59-85
1998: 60-22-46-68
1999: 67-31-34-65
2000: 52-26-40-66
2001: 79-30-52-82
That's him from ages 26-31, while all those players you listed were past their primes and in their 30s, Turgeon STILL had no Hart recognition and very very little AS votes.

So if Kariya took advantage of those players being "over the hill", he did a fairly good job of it. Because Turgeon had the same opportunities, but he still couldn't distinguish himself.

Your running out of excuses.

decma

Feb 6, 2013
For Modano's first 6 seasons he received zero Selke consideration, his first full season with Hitchcock as coach he began receiving praise. The ATD board has quotes from scouting books and newspapers etc that talk about his strong two way play. Now since some people here are simply looking at calculated numbers which can miss aspects of hockey (shocker) they simply ignore the people who actually watched the bloody players play. That's the issue

On page 3 of this thread I provided exceprts from newspaper articles re Turgeon, including lots of quotations from players, coaches, and others "who atually watched the bloody players play". This was in response to questions about his leadership, whether he made teammates better, and other intangibles, so the quotations focus on those elements rather than his scoring. Here they are again, in chronological order.

Associated Press, April 12, 1988:

Sabres' coach Ted Sator said: "The kid's gone from 18 to 28 in the span of four playoff games. Pierre’s always been a big-game player and I think this is his element now."
In the first game of the series, Turgeon had a hand in all three goals. In Sunday's fourth game, he scored Buffalo's first goal and assisted on Tucker's winning goal 5:32 into overtime.

Montreal Gazette, October 6, 1988:

"He's going to be a star in this league," Sator said yesterday. "He worked very hard - both on and off the ice during the off-season. He has one more year of maturation and his command of English is much better now.

"He's got a year under his belt and he's grown into a leadership role. I think he's going to have a banner year this season."

"He's just a tremendous athlete and a tremendous competitor," Sator said.

Edmonton Journal, Feb 22, 1990:

"He's a very talented hockey player," said linemate Dave Andreychuk, who had helpers on both of Turgeon's goals. "He does things with the puck we just shake our heads at."

"People can see he's got great offensive skills. I know that from playing against him," said blueliner Doug Bodger, a former Pittsburgh Penguin.
"We call him Sneaky Pierre the way he goes out there and hides, but he leads out on the ice in other ways.
"He's playing with confidence. He leads out on the ice. …He's playing like a leader."

"He's putting in the work and getting back into the defensive end of the game," Andreychuk said.
"You can really see that from the first year. He knows he has to work hard and he's doing it night after night."

Montreal Gazette (Michael Farber), April 7, 1990:

“Turgeon is one of those players who makes everyone around him better.”

Toronto Star April 19, 1990:
(after Turgeon had 2 goals and an assist in win over Habs to tie series at 2):

"We had to get our big guns gunning but that's how it is on any winning team, your shooters must do the shooting," Dudley said. "But Pierre doesn't have to prove anything to me or anyone else. I know how good he is and how he's showed up in the big games all season."

Vancouver Sun, March 20, 1993

"He's not an outspoken guy. But in his own way, he's become a leader," coach Al Arbour, who has had some great ones, said Friday. "He's a silent leader.

"He has progressed and he's going to keep progressing. Everything we've asked him to do, he's done."

"He's a real team guy," Islander captain Patrick Flatley said. "He's still young, but he's starting to assume a leadership role. Even last year to this year he's taken on more of a leadership role, and I think that progression will continue."

"He's had an MVP season," Flatley said. "He has produced in big games, important games. He has come up big for us all season. He takes losing very hard."

Associated Press (May 6, 1993):

“One reason they didn’t [win] was the fact that their missing superstar, Pierre Turgeon, just might be more vital to the Islanders’ success in the short run than Lemieux is to the Penguins in the long run.”

Montreal Gazette (May 6, 1993):

Pierre carried this team all year," said goaltender Glenn Healy, who stopped 22 shots Tuesday. "He's the big piece of the puzzle, no doubt. When Pierre scores, we usually win."

Don Maloney (September 16, 1993):

“Pierre is our Mario Lemieux, our Eric Lindros, our superstar," general manager Don Maloney said. "His on-ice accomplishments speak for themselves."

Jack Todd (Montreal Gazette, April 22, 1995):

The implication, that he had no heart, is simply not borne out by the numbers. Turgeon’s playoff stats have been good throughout his career, including the '92-93 season when he had six goals and seven assists in 11 games despite being bushwhacked by Dale Hunter.

Montreal Gazette (April 19, 1996):

"With the team dying around him, Turgeon all but loaded the Canadiens on his back and dragged them into the playoffs in `95."

Canadian Press, May 2, 1996 (quoting Tremblay):

“Pierre Turgeon is a great captain. Twice he took the whole team out for dinner on the road. When someone was having trouble, he would go talk to the player. I call that good leadership.”

Mike Keenan (Nov 3, 1996):

"A superstar centre doesn't come available that often. But he is a player you can build a franchise around."

"In my opinion, with all due respect to Bernie Federko and perhaps Red Berenson, I don't think there's ever been a better centreman in this organization, including Adam Oates.”

"Red Berenson and Bernie Federko had the numbers but not the speed. They were a different generation."

"He has to be considered at least among the best. He's 27, in the prime of his career. He's never had a winger to work with like Brett Hull. He's played with teams that never made the playoffs.”

“He's not the best centreman in the league - (Mario) Lemieux is the best, there's still Gretzky and Messier - but he's in the top group.''

Brett Hull (Nov. 6, 1996):

"He is your typical superstar centreman. He can handle the puck, he can shoot it, he can make the play late to guys. He does everything you want.”

Edmonton Journal, Nov 16, 1999

"It was a great effort," Quenneville said. "He beat the guy to the icing and pretty much got the job done on a second and third effort. It's nice to see him produce again, and he continues to provide a lot of determination."

"He's been great all year, and he's fun to watch out there," McAlpine said. "He's working hard, and he's so skilled. He's been big for us."

Globe and Mail, Nov. 18, 1999:

Simply put, there's an edge to Turgeon’s game now, one that emerged during the Stanley Cup playoffs last spring.

"Yeah, I think his play, particularly in that Phoenix series, showed a lot more leadership," said Quenneville

National Post, Jan 15, 2000:

On the eve of last year's NHL playoffs Turgeon asked for an audience with Blues coach Joel Quenneville. He told Quenneville that he wanted more responsibility, to be the guy on the ice in the last minute of the period or last minute of the game, to be the go-to guy.

"It showed that he felt that he had more to offer. And he delivered," Quenville said.

Midway through the Blues' first-round playoff series against the tough Phoenix Coyotes, Turgeon began to reinvent himself in front of his teammates' eyes.

He played tough along the boards. He took the big hits and, after being down 3-1 in the series, the Blues won the series in a heart- stopping seventh game in which Turgeon scored in overtime.

Turgeon continued his fine play in the next round against Dallas. He took a brutal slash from Pat Verbeek and kept the Blues alive in the series with critical playmaking. He added five more points (he had 13 in total), including an overtime winner in Game 4. If not for mediocre goaltending from Grant Fuhr, the Blues may well have upended the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

"He was determined to make the team win," Quenneville said. "That's a sign of the elite players."

You could always count on the points, said Quenneville, "but he raised his game to a higher level."

That brand of play did not disappear with the playoffs. Turgeon scored a handful of goals in one of the first training-camp scrimmages and has not backed off since. He has consistently been in the top three or four scorers this season and will return to the NHL All-Star Game on Feb. 6 in Toronto, his fifth all-star appearance.

His 23 goals and 55 points leads the Blues and marks the 12th consecutive season with at least 20 goals. More significantly, the 30-year-old continues to play the important minutes of St. Louis games. Where he was sometimes hidden from other team's top lines earlier in his career, he is now matched against them. He is a central figure on the power play, of course, but he also kills penalties. He has answered his detractors while becoming a complete player.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Why is PPG a "clear cut" way to decide? Why throw out Hart and AS voting, and Kariyas better finishes in points, goals, and assists....and focus on PPG? I wonder why....

Kariyas peak saw better offensive production, better point, goal, and assists finishes, while being a multiple time AS, and a Hart Nominee....they aren't close. What did Turgeon do in his peak that makes it close OUTSIDE of PPG? It's only close to you because you like to play the "should of could of and would have" game, all while belittling anything that hurts your argument.

I never restricted anything to 7 seasons, I have no idea where your getting that from. I've always compared their peaks to 96-00 and 90-94, 5 years a piece, where within those 5 years, they were at their best. Kariyas top seasons within those 5 years are statistically better than anything Turgeon did within his 5 year span.

No, age has nothing to do with it when those players your listing were still relevant and being at the top...it's just another excuse for pulling to try to build up Turgeons credit as a center.

Your probably right, but again, that's not how it happened, and Turgeon put up some great seasons around that same time frame we are talking about...
1996: 80-38-58-96
1997: 78-26-59-85
1998: 60-22-46-68
1999: 67-31-34-65
2000: 52-26-40-66
2001: 79-30-52-82
That's him from ages 26-31, while all those players you listed were past their primes and in their 30s, Turgeon STILL had no Hart recognition and very very little AS votes.

So if Kariya took advantage of those players being "over the hill", he did a fairly good job of it. Because Turgeon had the same opportunities, but he still couldn't distinguish himself.

Your running out of excuses.
Listen, if you can't distinguish LW AS votes from C, or prime Wayne Gretzky from 36 year-old Wayne Gretzky it is tough to have a meaningful discussion. Turgeon was competing with prime Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Oates, Lafontaine, Messier. That's a lot different than hanging with Pavol Demitra, Ryan Smyth, and Keith Tkachuk.

As far as points/game and top ten or whatever finishes what other method has no positional bias (unlike AS votes) and adjusts productivity for era and dominance vs. peers while not penalizing a player for being injured?

My Best-Carey

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think there are several ways of interpreting all those quotations above. some of them are pretty garden variety; no one has ever questioned turgeon's talent and a lot of those quotes you would hear about any team's best player, whether that player was doug gilmour or alexei yashin.

but for a lot of the other ones, you kind of have to ask: why are all of these teammates, coaches, and general managers going out of their way to say "he's trying really hard," "he's playing with heart," "he's showing more leadership now," or in the weirdest case "he took the team out for dinner... twice. and he made a point to talk to a young guy who was struggling"? part of it is the reputation and stigma of turgeon that they are arguing against, for sure. but part of it also seems to doth be protesting too much, don't you think?

three choice ones--

Associated Press (May 6, 1993):

“One reason they didn’t [win] was the fact that their missing superstar, Pierre Turgeon, just might be more vital to the Islanders’ success in the short run than Lemieux is to the Penguins in the long run.”

Jack Todd (Montreal Gazette, April 22, 1995):

The implication, that he had no heart, is simply not borne out by the numbers. Turgeon’s playoff stats have been good throughout his career, including the '92-93 season when he had six goals and seven assists in 11 games despite being bushwhacked by Dale Hunter.

Mike Keenan (Nov 3, 1996):

"In my opinion, with all due respect to Bernie Federko and perhaps Red Berenson, I don't think there's ever been a better centreman in this organization, including Adam Oates.”

the first one proved to be untrue; the second one gets to the heart of this whole discussion, that the turgeon we saw on the ice and the turgeon we see on paper don't square up; and the third one, well that's just a coach lying out of his teeth right?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Listen, if you can't distinguish LW AS votes from C, or prime Wayne Gretzky from 36 year-old Wayne Gretzky it is tough to have a meaningful discussion. Turgeon was competing with prime Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Oates, Lafontaine, Messier. That's a lot different than hanging with Pavol Demitra, Ryan Smyth, and Keith Tkachuk.

As far as points/game and top ten or whatever finishes what other method has no positional bias (unlike AS votes) and adjusts productivity for era and dominance vs. peers while not penalizing a player for being injured?

My Best-Carey
It has nothing to do with being able to tell the difference, it has to do with this ridiculous notion you have that Kariya only had so many Hart votes and point finishes due to all those guys being older, except Turgeon was still a relevant player and had all the opportunities as well to do the same, he didn't....and quite simply, he couldn't.

He was competing with Mike Ricci and Victor Kozlov for one vote, he was never close to those guys in the AS voting......do you understand? Turgeon NEVER got more than a handful of votes EVER in his career. Roenick, Sundin, and Gilmore had more votes than Turgeon, but you want to continue to name drop. It's sad

What positional bias is their for LEAGUE WIDE top 10 statistics? Kariya had more top 10 finishes for goals, assists, and points among EVERYONE in the league, not LWers.

From 95-10, Kariya sits 6th in points, 9th in assists, and 9th in goals. It has NOTHING to do with the position(where he also sits 1st in points, 1st in assists, and 3rd in goals).

He wasn't just some left winger, he was one, if not THE best Left winger a majority of his career, as well as being one of the best players. We can't say the same about Turgeon.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

My Best-Carey
You continue to bring up the idea that it isn't fair to compare AS voting between the two because Turgeon was a center and Kariya was a LW.

You then go on about how Kariyas multiple First team and second was Honors shouldn't count because Turgeon had so much "competition", that his 6,6,8,8 finishes are actually more valuable because you give him the benefit of the doubt that he "could have."

You name drop guys like Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Lemieux all while ignoring the fact that he shared votes on 2/4 AS years with Mike Ricci('93) and Victor Kozlov('00).

You then decide to which the position on each player, making fantasy AS votes for Turgeon at LW.....not understanding that Kariya(if at center) would have still had a better AS voting resume than Turgeon.

My question to you, and it's a very simple question is can you in fact prove that Turgeon would have had more AS votes if the center position wasn't so deep?....

Just to give you some info: Turgeon beat Oates a total of one time(1990) and Tied Francis another time(1997). He never beat LaFontaine, Gilmore, Roenick, or Sundin in the AS voting.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Turgeon was on BAD teams until he got to St.Louis. The Sabres were last overall (which gave them the right to take Turgeon), the Islanders starting goalie was Glenn Healy when Turgeon was there, and the Canadiens weren't much better, if at all.

The Sabres drafted Turgeon because they finished last overall, but surely you understand that happened *before* he played for them. They made the playoffs every year he played for them. He played two full-seasons with the New York Islanders, and in those two seasons, they made the playoffs each year. He played one full season with the Canadiens, and, again, they were a playoff team. Pretending theses were "BAD" teams, as you claim, is quite simply revisionist history.

No matter how you break it down on a yearly basis the fact is Turgeon was plus +100 better than Kariya. That's massive. Turgeon played from 1987-2007 and the worst plus minus he had ever was -8 playing for a team that was last overall the year before.

This is just silly. Kariya spent several years with a newly minted Expansion team and you want to use plus/minus as a measuring stick? Turgeon walked into the NHL and joined a playoff team. Kariya joined a struggling expansion team that seriously struggled to score. This is a joke.

Last edited:

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
It has nothing to do with being able to tell the difference, it has to do with this ridiculous notion you have that Kariya only had so many Hart votes and point finishes due to all those guys being older, except Turgeon was still a relevant player and had all the opportunities as well to do the same, he didn't....and quite simply, he couldn't.

He was competing with Mike Ricci and Victor Kozlov for one vote, he was never close to those guys in the AS voting......do you understand? Turgeon NEVER got more than a handful of votes EVER in his career. Roenick, Sundin, and Gilmore had more votes than Turgeon, but you want to continue to name drop. It's sad

What positional bias is their for LEAGUE WIDE top 10 statistics? Kariya had more top 10 finishes for goals, assists, and points among EVERYONE in the league, not LWers.

From 95-10, Kariya sits 6th in points, 9th in assists, and 9th in goals. It has NOTHING to do with the position(where he also sits 1st in points, 1st in assists, and 3rd in goals).

He wasn't just some left winger, he was one, if not THE best Left winger a majority of his career, as well as being one of the best players. We can't say the same about Turgeon.
Turgeon's rank amongst LW in his 10 best years:

1st (2)-1990, 1993.
2nd (2)-1994, 1998.
3rd (3)-1988, 1992, 1995.
4th (3)-1991, 1996, 2001.

Kariya's AS votes at LW in his 10 best years:
1st (3)-1996, 1997, 1999.
2nd (2)-2000, 2003
3rd (0)
4th (0)
5th (0)
6th (1)-2006
7th (2)-2002, 2007.
8th (1)-2001.
Not on ballot (1)-Every other year.

My Best-Carey

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Turgeon's rank amongst LW in his 10 best years:

1st (2)-1990, 1993.
2nd (2)-1994, 1998.
3rd (3)-1988, 1992, 1995.
4th (3)-1991, 1996, 2001.

Kariya's AS votes at LW in his 10 best years:
1st (3)-1996, 1997, 1999.
2nd (2)-2000, 2003
3rd (0)
4th (0)
5th (0)
6th (1)-2006
7th (2)-2002, 2007.
8th (1)-2001.
Not on ballot (1)-Every other year.

My Best-Carey
So your going to once again ignore my question and continue to bombard he topic with your fantasy world stats?

I noticed you didn't take into account Kariya if he would have been a center....is it because you know he still would have had more votes than Turgeon?.....

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Sabres drafted Turgeon because they finished last overall, but surely you understand that happened *before* he played for them. They made the playoffs every year he played for them. He played two full-seasons with the New York Islanders, and in those two seasons, they made the playoffs each year. He played one full season with the Canadiens, and, again, they were a playoff team. Pretending theses were "BAD" teams, as you claim, is quite simply revisionist history.
Buffalo was dead last when he joined. Yes, they made the playoffs after he was selected but that was a "bad" team. The worst in the league in fact. That's indisputable. You could easily say, WITHOUT Turgeon, most of those Sabre, Islander, nor Canadien teams make the playoffs.

My Best-Carey

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Buffalo was dead last when he joined. Yes, they made the playoffs after he was selected but that was a "bad" team. The worst in the league in fact. That's indisputable. You could easily say, WITHOUT Turgeon, most of those Sabre, Islander, nor Canadien teams make the playoffs.

My Best-Carey
Can we really "easily" say that?.....I doubt it.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
So your going to once again ignore my question and continue to bombard he topic with your fantasy world stats?
That's not fantasy world. That is exactly where Turgeon finished in scoring compared to the LW in each particular year.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad