Why is TD Garden a House of Horrors for the Bruins?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1716014788462.png

3-8 at home the last two years and 10 times eliminated at home since 2004 including 2 Stanley Cup Finals.

The building is much better than when it opened in 1995 but it has issues.

We know about the ice but both teams have to play on it. It isn't a lack of fan support. The Celtics have their own issues at TD Garden.

How on earth can they lose SIX consecutive home playoff games to the Panthers? The only sure thing we have right now is Toronto can't win a Game 7 at TD Garden.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They’ve been sort of a front running team in the regular season at home. Come out and clobber teams and pile on.

You can also completely throw out the regular season overtime results as the three on three format followed by the shootout might as well be a completely different sport.

Come playoffs, there is a slimmer margin of error. Easier mindset to go on the road, play a tight defensive game, and win 2-1.

We knew the offense would struggle. I don’t think it has much to do with the building. And Florida is a damn good team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They’ve been sort of a front running team in the regular season at home. Come out and clobber teams and pile on.

You can also completely throw out the regular season overtime results as the three on three format followed by the shootout might as well be a completely different sport.

Come playoffs, there is a slimmer margin of error. Easier mindset to go on the road, play a tight defensive game, and win 2-1.

We knew the offense would struggle. I don’t think it has much to do with the building. And Florida is a damn good team.
I will be the first to concede Florida is a more talented team.

But in the last 2 years in the playoffs, the Bruins were 1-6 at home to Florida and 4-2 in Sunrise. :banghead:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Nah Bon Jovi is a league-wide problem

Home ice advantage vanished as the new buildings came online and team benches were side by side instead of across from each other. TV lobbied for that and it became the norm.
As I was watching the game from home last night, it hit me that in many ways if barely resembles the atmosphere from the old playoff series from the 90s and 2000s that I watched so many off.

The building(s) are all so generic and sterile.
I get from an aesthetic standpoint why they did away with the gold seats, but not it looks even less like the old Garden.

It looks like they’re playing on a television set.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Three coaches (I don’t count Dave Lewis) have coached this era of Bruins hockey, so I don’t think it’s entirely on them.

Maybe the Bruins feel the enormous pressure of this fanbase and it’s too much for them. They don’t want to make a mistake and play timid - over-passing and looking for the perfect shot, etc, and they don’t feel that pressure on the road.

Maybe the Bruins believe they’re better than they are, and subconsciously take their foot off the gas at home, while give more effort on the road.

Could be something else entirely.

I’d love to know why.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As I was watching the game from home last night, it hit me that in many ways if barely resembles the atmosphere from the old playoff series from the 90s and 2000s that I watched so many off.

The building(s) are all so generic and sterile.
I get from an aesthetic standpoint why they did away with the gold seats, but not it looks even less like the old Garden.

It looks like they’re playing on a television set.
They league has instituted so many new rules it has changed the way the game is played. Back in the day players were tougher and never rubbed their beaks looking for blood. Embellishment is at an all time high.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The forwards just don't skate well enough to combat the putrid ice conditions that come with April/May hockey at the TD Garden. And they don't finish well enough to capitalize on the chances they do get.

You look at the last two series vs. Florida. With their "throw everything at the net" style, they will get their looks, they'll get their chances, it's inevitable. Both goals last night came off essentially broken plays that ended up on a Panther stick.

How do you combat that? You spend more time in the Florida end of the ice. That's the only weapon you have really to counter Florida's style. The HNIC broadcast last night brought it up several times. And by spending less time in your own end defending, the Bruins were fresher overall. Funny how that works.

Last night, it worked great the first 10 mins. All 4 lines came out flying. But as the game wore on, they couldn't sustain the pressure. You need fresh legs and fast legs to keep up that pressure late in games. By the 2nd period, many of the Bruins forwards looked like they were skating in mud. Florida tightened up defensively, forced the Bruins to beat them with speed they don't have, and you get these long stretches of no shots on goal.

I thought it was clear last year that the Bruins needed to get younger and faster up front. Instead they got bigger, older and slower.

And they don't have enough touch/finish/shooting ability. This front office has NEVER appreciated that skillset. Very few players who can snipe or hammer a puck. D-men struggle to get pucks through traffic. If they capitalize on even a couple of those chances they got in the 1st period of Games 2 and 3, or the chances they did have last night, it's a different game, different series. That game last night we've seen a dozen times at the TD Garden over the last decade. Bruins fail to pull ahead on the scoreboard and the opposing team gets a couple lucky bounces and that's all she wrote.

Honestly I'm sick and f***ing tired of hearing about how the Bruins need to get bigger and tougher up front. It's complete bullshit. They've been chasing that dragon for half a century and it got them 1 championship. This big, bad Bruin fantasy continually bites them in the ass.

You need a good mix of skillsets, can't just be one type of player. 3 of their biggest forwards last night (Brazeau, JVR, Maroon) were their 3 biggest liabilities up front. People lose this series and they think the solution is bringing in a below-average skater like a Tyler Bertuzzi because he's an asshole on the ice. That's not the problem here and a Bertuzzi reunion just compounds the problem, doesn't solve anything.

This summer shouldn't be rocket science for this front office. Get more finish/touch at the top of the line-up, replace some of those below-average skaters with some young, greasy speed. And if you can find young greasy speed that brings some size and physicality, even better.

But the days of icing this line-up where 2/3rd of it are average of below average skaters has to come to an end. Because the ice at the TD Garden ain't about to get any better.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Because they're soft and play a soft game.

Like it or not they are now like the early 00s Habs. No fight, no hitting, "skill" team that you can bully out of the game and get no resistance

Do you honestly think that Florida outmuscled/outbullied this Bruins team? Last year yes. This year? I didn’t see it. Florida is just better.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Do you honestly think that Florida outmuscled/outbullied this Bruins team? Last year yes. This year? I didn’t see it. Florida is just better.

This year too. They were hearing footsteps all series. Just look at the inability to put together a breakout or execute a dump and chase. They were a step behind because they were waiting for the hit.

Not to mention all the borderline things the Panthers/Bennett got away with and got zero push back.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Ya this year too. The discrepancy was less from last year, but it was less of a pure physical sense and much more of an outmuscled along the boards consistently

Reactions: Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This year too. They were hearing footsteps all series. Just look at the inability to put together a breakout or execute a dump and chase. They were a step behind because they were waiting for the hit.

Not to mention all the borderline things the Panthers/Bennett got away with and got zero push back.

Yeah I disagree. The Bruins were struggling to counter a heavy forecheck and penetrate the neutral zone trap when the Panthers implemented it, but I don’t think it had anything to do with “hearing footsteps” or otherwise being afraid. The bruins were just as physical as the panthers this time around. The issue is they still were not the better overall team.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We were gonna win that game until they got a crazy lucky bounce off the debrusk block.

Coinflip close one. Epic bedshottings like G5 Toronto are more likely to be at home.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad