Why is Jesper Fast an Automatic ?

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
I was wondering what your take on HF was on Fast's seemingly having not to battle for a spot on the team? I'm not saying the guy is horrible but he certainly shouldn't be a gimme for the opening night roster every year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Probably because AV seemingly trusts him a lot.

Not that big of a stretch to think that Fast would be on the opening night roster, IMO

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This year, the guy has paid his dues with the coach, and with the exception of Pirri, it isn't like any of the other 4th line wing candidates have been better than him. He's a good PKer and has good work ethic and isn't useless in the offensive zone.

I disagree with your premise about him being automatic anyway. Last year he barely made the team and his struggles were the only reason it took 7 games for Glass to get sent down.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
He was never even in the discussion about being perhaps sent down. Also I remind you the rangers PK was awful last year ranked 27th. I think the first poster might be onto something that AV trusts him.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Out of our big group of preseason depth forward mishmosh no one impressed besides Pirri, who's not a checking line guy, and Nieves, who was only really in the last game. So with Jooris, Grabner, Fast, Gerbe and Glass they cut the last two guys, which was fine, they'll probably try to put Pirri on a scoring line, and I'm sure Nieves is the next guy up if he does okay in Hartford.

I didn't like Fast last year. He'll look better if he's kept to the 4th line (3rd with injuries) and the entire PK (including him) improves, which statistically it probably will, you don't get much worse than around the bottom.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
103 forwards have played over 200 shorthanded (4v5) minutes since the start of the 2014-2015 season.

Fast is one of 11 without a shorthanded point.

He is tied for the 2nd worst shorthanded shot rate (3 shots in 225 minutes).

The above do matter. There are some players who are legitimately good shorthanded scorers and shooter. Nash and Stepan are two. Some players actually shoot more shorthanded than even strength. Toews actually has almost a 30% GF% shorthanded in his career (1055 minutes played) which is absolutely ridiculous. The average of guys with 1000+ mins since 2007 is only 11%. That makes a HUGE difference. Shorthanded offfense is one o the more underrated things in the game I believe.

He's 77/103 in SH CA60.

He's 96/103 in SH CA60RelTM so it's not a function of being with Glass or something.

He's 74/103 in GA60 and 78/103 relative to the team.

He's 33rd in blocked shot rate so he does do that though it doesn't seem to be doing much. Likely because a lot of the time you block a shot on the PK it just deflects right back to the other team anyway and you end up taking yourself out of the play.

There's basically nothing he's good at doing shorthanded other than blocking some shots.. He doesn't prevent shot attempts. He doesn't prevent goals. And he doesn't create shorthanded scoring chances.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Aside from Pirri, no one has taken his job

I agree...But with that said. Who good does it do to employ a sniper(Pirri) on a 4th line with a pair of grinders? I'm guessing that is why Pirri never seems to stay with one team too long.

Love Pirri here. Hoping he stays on the 3rd line with top PP minutes.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Fast was a offensive player in Sweden. He also scored goals in the AHL. Quickie had 30 points last season which is not terrible. 10 goals. He should have more than 10 goals.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't shoot enough. Has the ability to generate something between 2-3 shots a game but is always passive.

Needs to average two shots a game to see some more offense out of him.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
We have continued to get rid of top defensive forwards like Callahan, Hagelin, Moore. Fast may be our best defensive forward. He is an absolute lock.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Fast may be our best defensive forward. He is an absolute lock.

Yeah, no way in hell Fast is our best defensive forward. I was quite unimpressed with him in that bit of PS I caught from him. To me he's not a lock at all.

Pirri-Jooris-Grabner as a 4th line. I'll take Grabner's speed and back-check over Fast's.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Fast makes no mistakes. He doesn't do anything fancy, but he can be relied on to make the right little play. He can skate, chip in a goal sometimes, make the right little play. He's the perfect bottom-6 guy.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Fast makes no mistakes. He doesn't do anything fancy, but he can be relied on to make the right little play. He can skate, chip in a goal sometimes, make the right little play. He's the perfect bottom-6 guy.

I'm completely fine w fast as the 4th line rw .

Vickers8

Yeah, no way in hell Fast is our best defensive forward. I was quite unimpressed with him in that bit of PS I caught from him. To me he's not a lock at all.

Pirri-Jooris-Grabner as a 4th line. I'll take Grabner's speed and back-check over Fast's.

I agree

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

Completely agree. Would like to throw in that despite his size, he likes to throw hits. Quite physical for his size. Perfect 4th line guy.

mti79

May 11, 2007

I think it's a waste to have Pirri on the 4th line. Grabner-Jooris-Fast is what I want to see. Pirri needs to have a more offensive role on this team.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The worst pker on the team

Makes zero sense for him to keep a 4th line job

I'd love to see Nieves or even Lindberg bump him. Jooris we need grabber too

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He is stuck in Korpokoski territory and should probably be traded.

There isn't much Fast brings that a guy like Gerbe can't. Only difference is that Fast has trade value due to age and a deceptive point total last year.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I think it's a waste to have Pirri on the 4th line. Grabner-Jooris-Fast is what I want to see. Pirri needs to have a more offensive role on this team.

I don't think so. Unless there would be severe issues with the defense of that 4th line. Pirri doesn't seem to be all that great at 5v5 backchecking and defense. So the less ice time he get 5v5 vs opponents big time lines, the better.

Use Pirri a lot on the PP, let him get his ice time there. Maybe when Nash disappeares, just throw Pirri in there couple times on the higher lines.

---------

Also Fast a physical player for his size? Maybe ... but still not really physical at all.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I don't think so. Unless there would be severe issues with the defense of that 4th line. Pirri doesn't seem to be all that great at 5v5 backchecking and defense. So the less ice time he get 5v5 vs opponents big time lines, the better.

Use Pirri a lot on the PP, let him get his ice time there. Maybe when Nash disappeares, just throw Pirri in there couple times on the higher lines.

---------

Also Fast a physical player for his size? Maybe ... but still not really physical at all.

Fast is absolutely physical for his size. Finishes checks all the time. Have you forgottgen about the wars he has had with OV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad