Why is Howie Rose pretending to be an Islander fan now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Jack*

It's really a joke listening to him when the Isles play the Rangers. He grew up a Rangers fan, we all know this. And you can't just "forget" your favorite team and start rooting for their hated rivals, no less. Yet that's what Howie wants us to believe. It's kind of silly listening to him try to sound "depressed" when the Rangers score against the Isles, and sound "excited and happy" when the Isles score against the Rangers.

I think he is really a sellout for leaving his "dream job" of doing Rangers games on the radio. I know it's a TV job...but the Islanders? Seriously? I think he sounds silly doing Islanders games and pretending to like them now.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
The same way that players forget their childhood allegiances once they enter another organization: they're professionals. The paycheck changes everything. In a way, you're right, he is a sellout - but that's ok, because it's his job. The fan perspective does not apply once it's your living. And the Mets fan in me (yes, I'm the rare Mets/Ranger fan) would like to fight you for daring to disparage the amazing Howie Rose - but that's because I'm a fan and fans are irrational. This isn't our livelihood, we're allowed to hold such silly feelings.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Howie's been commentating for the Isles for 20 years. Plus, he got to witness his Rangers win the Cup in '94, and I imagine that gave him some amount of peace moving forward. I would probably guess that he finds a way to root for both teams.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Considering how he trashed the islanders "off air" awhile back i would guess he's just doing his job like they want him to and that's to homer it up for them and no one else. You probably don't want your announcer rooting for your fanbase's most heated rival, right?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'll hook you up with something I thought would be common sense. Howie has said before that he's a New Yorker first and he loves the state. He likes the way the Islanders are playing and he obviously appreciates the dynasty years. He talks in depth about how nice Arbor was to him as a young intern. So I imagine he finds a way to root for both teams. It's his job. It's like saying that JT wants the Leafs to win more than the Islanders because he was a Leafs fan as a kid.

I think you are just being obtuse at this point.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I'm more concerned with the fact that Micheletti is the ANTI-homer. Sometimes, I just want to hear how good the Rangers' players are, and he just can't shut the **** up about the opposition.

I ultimately prefer objectivity to homerism, but sometimes, Christ. If you watch any other team in the league's games, it's full on homerism, but not with Joe. No. Every player that plays in the NHL is an amazing player having an amazing season.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
I hope Kenny Albert gets Sam's job when he retires. I've become averse to the sound of Howie's voice. Probably because he's done the Isles for so long.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't know I hate homers. If the team is playing like garbage, I don't need someone to hold my hand and tell me everything is going to be ok. If I wanted someone to lie to me I can go to a strip club, no thank you.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm more concerned with the fact that Micheletti is the ANTI-homer. Sometimes, I just want to hear how good the Rangers' players are, and he just can't shut the **** up about the opposition.

I ultimately prefer objectivity to homerism, but sometimes, Christ. If you watch any other team in the league's games, it's full on homerism, but not with Joe. No. Every player that plays in the NHL is an amazing player having an amazing season.

At times, it seems like Sam and Joe are the only true professionals in the business.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We won't be having this discussion in its own thread. Please discuss it in Around the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad