Why is a Referee from Quebec running this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cthulu

May 13, 2014
Montreal
so if a guy from NY refs game 4, ignores all the crap that got ignored tonight, youd be fine right?

Sure, how could we know he's from NY? I honestly don't know where the refs are from usually (maybe people from HF boards do, but in the general population it is not the case). Any referee with an english sounding name could be from anywhere...

I find referees with french sounding name are unjustly targeted because they are easy to spot on a referee line-up.

Pretty sure any referee is just thinking all game about making the right calls and officiating professionally, and not about a team to cheer for. Some people are even upset when it's a french linesmen, like they're gonna change the whole game. Come on.

A lot of referees are downright horrible even when they are not officiating a hometown game.

Ps: I agree the missed call on Prust is pretty brutal. That was a dirty hit that should have been punished accordingly. Ashamed for him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If he was from Vancouver you'd ask why a Canadian was reefing.
If he was from California (random pick) you'd ask why is a guy who grew up a Habs fan was reefing.
If he was from Argentina you'd ask why he was chosen when his father is a Habs fan.

Just trying to illustrate there's an infinite number of possible bias. No matter where you draw the line there's another right behind it. You either trust all referees to be unbiased or you don't bother playing.

Don't tell me you guys wouldn't complain. There's still crying over the Kreider hit on Price. Just minutes after Montreal scored their 3rd fluke goal out of 5, Kreider tied up the game, some Habs fan said we're getting all the bounces. I really don't want to hear from Habs fans about complaining, because honestly starting from the fans booing offsides and anything that goes against the Habs in a game, to pretending like Kreider who got tripped ran Price intentionally, to making excuses about every time Montreal either loses or gets outplayed to Price being injured and his amazing playmaking skills, I don't Habs fans have room to talk about other people complaining about something.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Who knows what the deal is, but every ref involved with this game should be absolutely ashamed at how bad they are at their profession.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
you think the NHL doesnt know that info? they should make it a priority to remove the even appearance of bias.

If they were run correctly, they would not have to think about it.
I do not believe that assigning refs based upon perceived lack of bias due to birthplace or life history is the answer.

But the NHL is not a progressive organization.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
It would be very hard for an NHL ref to keep his job if he was biased based on his favorite team or where he's from. You don't make it this far and go unnoticed if a bias truly exists.

Also, suppose he is a habs fan - he is like any other player who may have grown up as a habs fan. It goes out the window the moment your first check clears and your non-habs uniform is on.

Lastly, this is their bread and butter.

Let me ask you this - say you were a ref from NY and die hard rangers fan. And if you had a demanding wife and 3 spoiled kids that need to be put through school, mortgage, etc... would you honestly let yourself become biased if your calling a Rangers game? If anything, you unintentionally compensate and become more harsh on them.

I know you will 'kid' and say yes you will be biased - but imagine yourself in their reality. You most likely wouldn't.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Don't tell me you guys wouldn't complain. There's still crying over the Kreider hit on Price. Just minutes after Montreal scored their 3rd fluke goal out of 5, Kreider tied up the game, some Habs fan said we're getting all the bounces...

Oh we do complain but NOT based on their town of birth. These threads are ridiculous. Your trying to convince yourself that there is a big conspiracy against you guys to explain a game result.

But, in reality, Habs send a cheque to EVERY official in the NHL so all calls go our way...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It would be very hard for an NHL ref to keep his job if he was biased based on his favorite team or where he's from. You don't make it this far and go unnoticed if a bias truly exists.

Also, suppose he is a habs fan - he is like any other player who may have grown up as a habs fan. It goes out the window the moment your first check clears and your non-habs uniform is on.

Lastly, this is their bread and butter.

Let me ask you this - say you were a ref from NY and die hard rangers fan. And if you had a demanding wife and 3 spoiled kids that need to be put through school, mortgage, etc... would you honestly let yourself become biased if your calling a Rangers game? If anything, you unintentionally compensate and become more harsh on them.

I know you will 'kid' and say yes you will be biased - but imagine yourself in their reality. You most likely wouldn't.

I honestly lost a little steam about the reffing in this game after the McDonagh play at the end of 2. That said, I'd probably be more likely to think that the game was fixed, because 3-0 in the ECF is bad for business. The NBA is fixed, I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is too. That said, McDonagh getting away with a slash and then drawing a penalty hurts that theory a bit. It's possible that the refs are just God awful, even though they were more God awful towards the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad