Why is a Referee from Quebec running this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am not putting this in the GDT because it's a general question, not just for this game. How is it that a ref from the same region as one of the teams, which is the case tonight, allowed to run the game?

In the Olympics, if Team USA plays Team Russia, do we have refs from Moscow or from DC? No, they make sure that the judges are from neutral nations. Why shouldn't that be the case here? Why are refs allowed to run games where one can have a reasonable suspicion of bias?

In court, a judge must recuse himself (withdraw) if a reasonable person may suspect there is bias, whether it exists or not. You can't as a judge preside over a case involving your cousin or ex-girlfriend. This is true even if you do not rule in any way that would show bias because courts do not want people to go around saying that judges are biased.

Why isn't that the rule here?

P.S. This is the worst ref'ed game ever. Just blatant bias. Honestly, when refs are THAT unable to keep their bias in check, they need to be fired. They have to at least be able to pretend to be at least somewhat fair.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Because they are the best refs in the world, no matter where they're from.

And you're wrong about the Olympics btw, there were Canadian refs in the final between Sweden and Canada.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
c'mon dude - you really wanted them to import refs from Jamaica for the game?

and Carbomb hit the ref - a big nono

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
I am not putting this in the GDT because it's a general question, not just for this game. How is it that a ref from the same region as one of the teams, which is the case tonight, allowed to run the game?

In the Olympics, if Team USA plays Team Russia, do we have refs from Moscow or from DC? No, they make sure that the judges are from neutral nations. Why shouldn't that be the case here? Why are refs allowed to run games where one can have a reasonable suspicion of bias?

In court, a judge must recuse himself (withdraw) if a reasonable person may suspect there is bias, whether it exists or not. You can't as a judge preside over a case involving your cousin or ex-girlfriend. This is true even if you do not rule in any way that would show bias because courts do not want people to go around saying that judges are biased.

Why isn't that the rule here?

P.S. This is the worst ref'ed game ever. Just blatant bias. Honestly, when refs are THAT unable to keep their bias in check, they need to be fired. They have to at least be able to pretend to be at least somewhat fair.

Anyone remember the Rangers - Chicago game 2-3 years ago where we were short handed like 8 times throughout the game. It was epic BC we actually won in an unbelievable fashion. Anyways, yeah that was the worst officiated game ever.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
c'mon dude - you really wanted them to import refs from Jamaica for the game?

No, but how about from Vancouver or Chicago or Florida?

Because they are the best refs in the world, no matter where they're from.

Clearly the refs today are the best in the world...

The NHL has plenty of refs to choose from, particularly during the playoffs when most of the refs have nothing to do. Boston fans complained about this guy from Quebec being blatantly biased and now it's the same crap in this game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The gold medal game between Canada and Sweden had exclusively Canadian officials

That's ridiculous. There is no reason for it. There are plenty of terrific officials who are neither Canadian nor Swedish.

That said, I don't remember that game being this blatantly biased. I'm just furious over what's going on here. According to Bruin fans, the same thing took place the last round with this ref.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It's honestly not that bad guys. Totally unfair to think that there's some hometown bias at play when these refs are criticized by every team, every game, all the time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
1. missed call on Prust's high hit on Stepan.
2. no call on Dorsett being slew foot by Subban.
3. Pierre McGuire started yelling about a too many men by Montreal in the second that Olczyk backed him up on--no call on that either.
4. the Carcillo charge was not much of a charge IMO.

So--did they do a good job?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's honestly not that bad guys. Totally unfair to think that there's some hometown bias at play when these refs are criticized by every team, every game, all the time.

Sorry, but everything changes everything. That Prust cheap shot just minutes in could have very well lead to the Rangers being up 1-0. Instead, what was clearly at least a minor penalty went uncalled and the entire game unfolds differently. In the regular season that is often a 5 minute major...what happens if the Rangers score twice on that power play? Terrible officiating. Period.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
1. missed call on Prust's high hit on Stepan.
2. no call on Dorsett being slew foot by Subban.
3. Pierre McGuire started yelling about a too many men by Montreal in the second that Olczyk backed him up on--no call on that either.
4. the Carcillo charge was not much of a charge IMO.

So--did they do a good job?

that was NOT a slew foot. Dorsett clearly took a dive there.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
This game was one of the worst officiating games that I have watch in a long time. Even the linesmen I felt were getting a lot of wrong calls

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
If he was from Vancouver you'd ask why a Canadian was reefing.
If he was from California (random pick) you'd ask why is a guy who grew up a Habs fan was reefing.
If he was from Argentina you'd ask why he was chosen when his father is a Habs fan.

Just trying to illustrate there's an infinite number of possible bias. No matter where you draw the line there's another right behind it. You either trust all referees to be unbiased or you don't bother playing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i agree with the general premise of the post though...its ridiculous. you CAN NOT have refs from the home town of EITHER team reffing a playoff game. there are more than enough refs in the league to get this done right.

reffing was brutal...

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
All I know is, how the **** did they not call Prust on that Stepan hit. That non-call is an harassment to hockey. Youth coaches all over the world will be using that clip to teach kids what interference is

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If he was from Vancouver you'd ask why a Canadian was reefing.
If he was from California (random pick) you'd ask why is a guy who grew up a Habs fan was reefing.
If he was from Argentina you'd ask why he was chosen when his father is a Habs fan.

Just trying to illustrate there's an infinite number of possible bias. No matter where you draw the line there's another right behind it. You either trust all referees to be unbiased or you don't bother playing.

yeah ok.

so if a guy from NY refs game 4, ignores all the crap that got ignored tonight, youd be fine right?

yeah ok. the same fan base that moans at every little thing has the balls to come here and post crap like this. get the heck outta here.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Calls tend to even out over time but they can def influence the outcome of a series.

The problem I have is that they interfere with the flow of the game. It's infuriating. Too many unnecessary stops and face off antics. Drop the puck for gods sake.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
yeah ok.

so if a guy from NY refs game 4, ignores all the crap that got ignored tonight, youd be fine right?

yeah ok. the same fan base that moans at every little thing has the balls to come here and post crap like this. get the heck outta here.

I wasn't defending the calls, they were brutal.

What I'm saying is that even if you remove place of birth as a factor a person can always find another reason to claim a referee is biased.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
How do they handle it in other professional sports leagues? Micro managing the assignment of officials based on birthplace and heritage is the wrong angle, in my opinion.
Reviews of officials by an independent auditor would be much more helpful. Would it really be so wrong for an overseeing body to ask the officials tonight how they 'missed' Prust's predatory attack on Stepan, right out there in open ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad