Why has Backstrom never been considered for Selke?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Probably because of reputation. Or lack there of. Selke has no clear standards and has become increasingly difficult to measure due to the advanced statistics and I'm sure it's not as a meaningful of a trophy to try and get a clear cut winner of it. I'm sure there are couple of reporters who are on par about which players deserve consideration.

Backstrom is not only underrated in the Selke consideration but he's been grossly underrated throughout his career. IMO he's one of the best all-around centers of his generation with an insane 0.98 career PPG.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I think Jug makes a good illustration here; at .98 ppg career average, Backstrom is viewed mostly as an offensive player.

Vesperia - you need to campaign more for him!

2y45jy.jpg

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Reputation owns this award.

Since the mid 00's lockout (13 seasons) only 6 players has won the trophy. With 4 of those players winning it multiple times.

Reactions: Shockmaster

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Reputation owns this award.

Since the mid 00's lockout (13 seasons) only 6 players has won the trophy. With 4 of those players winning it multiple times.
One might think rather than reputation, those players are just very good.

Backstrom is better defensively than he is credited for but he never has been the best I imagine.

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Backstrom seems like this generations Adam Oates. Maybe not a perfect comparison but a lot of similarities. One of the top set up men in the game playing with a goal scoring winner with a ton of personality that gets all the hype. Great player. Definitely underrated.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Probably because of reputation. Or lack there of. Selke has no clear standards and has become increasingly difficult to measure due to the advanced statistics and I'm sure it's not as a meaningful of a trophy to try and get a clear cut winner of it. I'm sure there are couple of reporters who are on par about which players deserve consideration.

Backstrom is not only underrated in the Selke consideration but he's been grossly underrated throughout his career. IMO he's one of the best all-around centers of his generation with an insane 0.98 career PPG.

This is the "issue" with the Selke. I've wondered if it wouldn't be a more prestigious award if it were voted on by players - they clearly know which skaters are great defensively. Perhaps a weight of that + stats.

Media folks may go on rep, or faceoffs, or penalty kill time - but a lot of players (especially a lot of non all-stars) give it their all every shift and make a lot of little defensive plays that outweigh an all-star player who might PK for 90 seconds per game.

I also take issue with the standards of the Norris FWIW.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Probably because his reputation is that of a playmaker rather than a two way guy. The writers like to make a narrative and cling to it. It isn't as if he ever should have won the award, though the same can be said for some of the winners in recent years.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This is the "issue" with the Selke. I've wondered if it wouldn't be a more prestigious award if it were voted on by players - they clearly know which skaters are great defensively. Perhaps a weight of that + stats.

Media folks may go on rep, or faceoffs, or penalty kill time - but a lot of players (especially a lot of non all-stars) give it their all every shift and make a lot of little defensive plays that outweigh an all-star player who might PK for 90 seconds per game.

I also take issue with the standards of the Norris FWIW.

fair point on the voter part.

but given other player polls, if it was a player voted trophy, Bergeron would still be winning it basically every year.

I get the "reputation" part when it comes to consideration and nominations, but can anyone really with a straight face say Bergeron hasn't been the best defensive forward in hockey for years?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
fair point on the voter part.

but given other player polls, if it was a player voted trophy, Bergeron would still be winning it basically every year.

I get the "reputation" part when it comes to consideration and nominations, but can anyone really with a straight face say Bergeron hasn't been the best defensive forward in hockey for years?

I would lean towards agreeing with the sentiment that he HAS been the best defensive forward for many years. The problem we're running in to is that a player may "lose out" because someone else is in the bright lights for a specific period of time. If/when that happens - there needs to be some sort of explanation. Were the results really close? What edged a guy out over the other. All we're ever left with is speculation on our (fans) part which typically leads to a smattering of biased opinion. Is Bergeron any worse this/next/whenever year he doesn't get the award? Or is that the year points, or faceoffs, or PK time (when one team takes and kills more penalties), or games played, or whatever edges out the vote...

I have watched Sid dominate top players for years on both ends of the ice (especially in the last few seasons) - but he's more often focused on the offensive side of hockey. Does that make him less of a defensive forward, or remove him from contention for the award? What grounds are there for earning a Selke trophy? Bergeron is a line 1 guy as well who faces the oppositions best (and stands out) - to me that puts him far ahead of line 3 guys who do little things each and every night and are nearly strict-defensive guys. I'm not sure where the line is drawn but a clear picture would be nice - and that's where I think the guys on the ice should have a say.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I would lean towards agreeing with the sentiment that he HAS been the best defensive forward for many years. The problem we're running in to is that a player may "lose out" because someone else is in the bright lights for a specific period of time. If/when that happens - there needs to be some sort of explanation. Were the results really close? What edged a guy out over the other. All we're ever left with is speculation on our (fans) part which typically leads to a smattering of biased opinion. Is Bergeron any worse this/next/whenever year he doesn't get the award? Or is that the year points, or faceoffs, or PK time (when one team takes and kills more penalties), or games played, or whatever edges out the vote...

I have watched Sid dominate top players for years on both ends of the ice (especially in the last few seasons) - but he's more often focused on the offensive side of hockey. Does that make him less of a defensive forward, or remove him from contention for the award? What grounds are there for earning a Selke trophy? Bergeron is a line 1 guy as well who faces the oppositions best (and stands out) - to me that puts him far ahead of line 3 guys who do little things each and every night and are nearly strict-defensive guys. I'm not sure where the line is drawn but a clear picture would be nice - and that's where I think the guys on the ice should have a say.

agreed.

I just fear that the voting would basically end up the same as it is now with players doing it.

With players voting, it probably ends up going to the "top 6 center thats the toughest to play against", which is kinda what the media voting ends up at as well.

The losing out thing unfortunately happens some times over history when you have an all time great at something. Happened to Brad Park who had the bad luck of playing against Orr/Robinson/Potvin.

Reactions: molon labe

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Because being a consistently good defensive player doesn't make you an elite, top 2-3 defensive player. He's also never really been considered for the Hart, despite being a great player and probably a HoFer, he's just never been one of the best 2-3 players in the league.

As far as Selke goes, I just don't see much that stands out in terms of what voters look for. Voters aren't sitting around looking at heat maps and crazy advanced stats for every player in the league. His Corsi and rel are typically good but nothing eye popping, he's just average on faceoffs, his zone starts are never very difficult, his takeaway numbers are always good but never elite, and he's not a primary PKer. He's just consistently a very good defensive player and although he's not in the Bergeron tier, being in the top 7-12 range most years isn't anything to be upset about. That's still better than 97%-98% of the league.

Reactions: Huokaus

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Because being a consistently good defensive player doesn't make you an elite, top 2-3 defensive player. He's also never really been considered for the Hart, despite being a great player and probably a HoFer, he's just never been one of the best 2-3 players in the league.

As far as Selke goes, I just don't see much that stands out in terms of what voters look for. Voters aren't sitting around looking at heat maps and crazy advanced stats for every player in the league. His Corsi and rel are typically good but nothing eye popping, he's just average on faceoffs, his zone starts are never very difficult, his takeaway numbers are always good but never elite, and he's not a primary PKer. He's just consistently a very good defensive player and although he's not in the Bergeron tier, being in the top 7-12 range most years isn't anything to be upset about. That's still better than 97%-98% of the league.

I agree with everything you stated except the bolded part. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Mediocre, as much as the selection committee seems to be trying.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I agree with everything you stated except the bolded part. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Mediocre, as much as the selection committee seems to be trying.
The only players with more points than Backstrom since he entered the NHL are Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kane who are all 1st ballot Hall of Famers. Am I supposed to believe that the top 4 are all slam dunk HoF players but the next player on the list just "mediocre"? By the way, you can disagree with the selection committee all you want but they're the ones voting and they don't base their votes on what YOU think should be the criteria. Not every player is a first ballot hall of famer but Backstrom is going to eclipse 1,200 points which is a rare feat in this era (only 3 active players have 1,200+ points), has several top 10 point finishes, a bunch of top 3 assist finishes, has always been a good defensive center, and has a Cup to his name which he was a huge part in winning. He's getting in whether you agree with it or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad