Why doesn't MSG Network ever show 1994 NY Rangers games?

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
There are some games us "old" guys in our 30's, 40's, and 50's would LOVE to see again. Like Round 1 against the Islanders when the Rangers DESTROYED them! This series was such sweet revenge for Rangers fans, but MSG never shows it! Or how about Round 2 against the Capitals? I think they've shown the Devils/Canucks series a FEW times but even those I almost never see!

I remember a while back I think you could download some of these old games, like Round 1 against the Islanders (I think on NHL Vault which you can't get anymore). But for whatever reason those games were CHOPPED UP and edited HORRIBLY! A Ranger player would score a goal, and they'd instantly cut to black and then pick up the action from a few minutes later. It's like...WHY?! The NHL is really stupid, why not release the WHOLE GAME UNEDITED?! They also cut the fights out because I guess Bettman wants the NHL to be "family friendly" now. What a JOKE!

But getting back to MSG, are they forbidden by the NHL from showing those old games? Really crazy to me how these games have never been seen almost since 1994! I remember the 1995 lockout MSG rebroadcast all the games, and then we NEVER saw them again since!

I want the FULL GAMES from that year released, UNEDITED/CHOPPED UP with intermission interviews, pre game talk etc. You can cut the old commercials but THAT'S IT! Why has something like this never come out? We had the crappy DVD set a few years back with chopped up/edited games and fights cut out, but that was garbage. Time for a REAL DVD SET with cleaned up audio, picture, the FULL games unedited etc.

Why doesn't MSG ever show these old games?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
They play them occasionally. I've seen games 6 & 7 vs. Jersey & 7 against Vancouver within the last 6 months

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have the 1994 ECF and SCF on DVD.

Unfortunately, they are the ESPN broadcasts with Gary Thorne.

They are difficult to watch.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Didn't Trautwig used to host some MSG show that plays all the vintage fare? Used to come on at weird hours.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because it’s more important to re-air Marc Staal’s “Beginnings” episode 85 times a year.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd like to see more than 94 games. How about some highlights from the 80s? 79 Cup run? During the 2004-05 lockout they showed rounds 1-2 of the 86 playoff run which was fun for me. I was five in 1986 and didn't really watch yet or know who players were. Learning about how that team was a dysfunctional mess and that Cinderella run was cool. In the 80s, how about the 81 playoffs vs. the Blues? The 4-4 tie in 1990 when Miro Horova scored against the Devils to tie them for first in the Division. I'd love for them to show some response games in 94, like when they lost to the expansion Ducks, Keenan flipped out during practice and broke the stick; the game after.

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
I understand the whole sentiment of "Time to move on from 1994" but I'm talking more about Round 1 and Round 2. These game have not been aired on MSG since 1995!!! They have all of these games in a storage vault somewhere, collecting dust. Why not show them once in a while? As far as now being a bad time to show them, I disagree completely.

I think it's the PERFECT time to show them so we can forget about our current team a little bit, and remember happier times! And yes, show games from the 80's too! Like Rangers/Flyers 1986! Or Rangers/Islanders 1990! Or Rangers/Devils 1992! All great series! It just sucks that there is literally no way to see all these games! What's wrong with MSG and the NHL?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't know, they didn't do anything for the 20th anniversary to my knowledge. So why would they for the 25th?
Nothing particularly special about 20th anniversaries as far as I know. Isn't tomorrow the anniversary of the Giants superbowl win? OK I guess that's the 10th anniversary.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'd like to see more than 94 games. How about some highlights from the 80s? 79 Cup run? During the 2004-05 lockout they showed rounds 1-2 of the 86 playoff run which was fun for me. I was five in 1986 and didn't really watch yet or know who players were. Learning about how that team was a dysfunctional mess and that Cinderella run was cool. In the 80s, how about the 81 playoffs vs. the Blues? The 4-4 tie in 1990 when Miro Horova scored against the Devils to tie them for first in the Division. I'd love for them to show some response games in 94, like when they lost to the expansion Ducks, Keenan flipped out during practice and broke the stick; the game after.

Yeah - I was about to post the same thing. Even random games from seasons gone by just to see how different the game was. Some of the Rangers/Islanders games from the 80's would be fun to see. Whatever they have in the archives isn't doing them any good filed away. Definitely would be fun to see some of that stuff.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I understand the whole sentiment of "Time to move on from 1994" but I'm talking more about Round 1 and Round 2. These game have not been aired on MSG since 1995!!! They have all of these games in a storage vault somewhere, collecting dust. Why not show them once in a while? As far as now being a bad time to show them, I disagree completely.

I think it's the PERFECT time to show them so we can forget about our current team a little bit, and remember happier times! And yes, show games from the 80's too! Like Rangers/Flyers 1986! Or Rangers/Islanders 1990! Or Rangers/Devils 1992! All great series! It just sucks that there is literally no way to see all these games! What's wrong with MSG and the NHL?

I have a 13 disc DVD set that includes ECF's and SCF of the 1994 Rangers playoffs. Good luck finding it now, though. :/

(edit) Actually 15 discs - here's a link to a pic on amazon

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1994 15-disc set of the ECF and Finals is NOT the complete games. They're all chopped up for some reason, with parts cut out (like the Bernie Nicholls/Glenn Anderson fight at the end of Game 6. That's cut out right?).

It's just ridiculous how the NHL does things. Chopping up and editing games for NO REASON instead of showing the entire broadcast WITH pre-game and intermission. That would make too much sense I guess, right?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1994 15-disc set of the ECF and Finals is NOT the complete games. They're all chopped up for some reason, with parts cut out (like the Bernie Nicholls/Glenn Anderson fight at the end of Game 6. That's cut out right?).

It's just ridiculous how the NHL does things. Chopping up and editing games for NO REASON instead of showing the entire broadcast WITH pre-game and intermission. That would make too much sense I guess, right?

Oh did you mean full playoff games?

my bad. they pretty much just repeat game 6 of the ECF and Game 7 of the SCF. The rest of the games that year are just quick cuts in compilations with random people talking about what sandwich they were eating when some play happened.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
My mind is actually blown in that I don't really recall seeing a ton of Islanders/Capitals series footage.

I feel like the comparisons would be fascinating too. The Islanders series was a throwaway massacre as opposed to the Devils' which is regarded as one of the GOATs.

In Losing the Edge, Barry Meisel described the Islanders as getting f***ing greased so I kinda want to see that rofl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad