Why do you support your KHL team?

Mar 14, 2017
I hope this thread is in the correct place and sorry if it's already been asked before but what makes you support your KHL team?

I started supporting the Blackhawks in the NHL when I was a kid simply because the logo is similar to my local hockey team. I also follow SC Bern because I like the logo and Jersey colors.

For a while now I've been wanting to follow the KHL and I do watch KHL games if I get the chance but i've found it difficult to gain a real interest in the league, I think this is because I have no KHL team to follow which maybe makes it harder to stay interested? I decided I'm going to pick a KHL team to follow but it got me thinking about why other people choose to support their KHL team? Is it because the team is local to you or are you like me and choose a team based on their logo/jersey?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I have never been a diehard fan and there are more than one team I like in KHL (also in other leagues/sports as well) but the one stands out the most for me is Avangard.

I can write a book about why I love hockey and KHL in particular, but to be honest with you, I have no idea why I came up with Avangard in first place. I didn't "pick" a team, it grew over time, alongside with Sibir and Traktor.

I think it has something to do with my Siberia obsession - as a kid, I read a lot of Russian novels and thus grew more and more interested in culture but especially Siberia. I was not a miserable loner but the people and atmosphere in those novels deeply influenced me and I liked them way more than the real people around me. I'm 22 and still, if I stay up too late, I just go check online cameras in Siberian cities to see sun coming up there. I seriously have no idea what got me so crazy about the place but I simply feel myself "fulfilled" and happy even when I think about it. My Russian friends say it's only because I haven't been to Siberia. :laugh:

So, over time, as a young guy who also happens to love ice hockey, I liked Avangard more and more. A good team from a big city with huge potential. Similar reasons for Sibir and Traktor as well... I know Chelyabinsk is not exactly Siberian but anyways, it's from that region I deem dreamland. Moreover, who doesn't like a team called TRAKTOR with a polar bear as their logo? When I watch those teams play at home, I feel like my grandma just cooked me some delicious soup. Some kind of home comfort. Impossible to describe for me with words. Most of the time, I watch games only to feel at home rather than see good hockey.

I don't know what's mentally wrong with me but I like it. :laugh: Not surprisingly, I will study Russian Literature & Language at university and in five to ten years, maybe I will have the chance to call Omsk or Novosibirsk as my actual home.

Last edited:

Boundlessvladde

May 17, 2015
Sweden
Well i was born in Moscow and i live in Sweden now. I support CSKA because both my Dad and my grandfather are fans of the club. Otherwise i like Traktor Chelyabinsk since Kuznetsov played there(im a huge fan of the Washinton Capitals) :)

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
I support Amur because when I started to follow the league I felt sorry for them because of all the travel they have to face. Rather silly, isn't it? To my excuse I may add that it was the year they made the PO's and they played nice hockey (with Hannu Jortikka at the helm and a free scoring Jakub Petruzalek)

I also have soft spots for other teams, mainly Slovan (I love their logo) and Barys (the BBD - line is fun to watch) and, lately, Ak Bars (I'm Italian.... red, white and green are very popular colours around here)

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Slovan is my local team, so its easy. On the other hand, I have some other favourite teams - for example I like Sibir Novosibirsk and Dynamo Moscow - they have pure, ellegant hockey (sport) logos and nice jerseys. Two russians pacific, far east teams (Admiral and Amur) are likeable also. Finally, I like Torpedo Nizhnij Novgorod - there is only one reason, nickname "Torpedo" is dynamic and strong.

Next, I dont like this teams: Medvescak (this club is good only for EBEL league, no for league KHL level), Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk (I dont know why, but this team is absolutely average and banal) and Vityaz Podolsk (same like Nizhnekamsk).

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I hope this thread is in the correct place and sorry if it's already been asked before but what makes you support your KHL team?

I started supporting the Blackhawks in the NHL when I was a kid simply because the logo is similar to my local hockey team. I also follow SC Bern because I like the logo and Jersey colors.

For a while now I've been wanting to follow the KHL and I do watch KHL games if I get the chance but i've found it difficult to gain a real interest in the league, I think this is because I have no KHL team to follow which maybe makes it harder to stay interested? I decided I'm going to pick a KHL team to follow but it got me thinking about why other people choose to support their KHL team? Is it because the team is local to you or are you like me and choose a team based on their logo/jersey?

I visited Riga in 2010 by total chance and being a fan of hockey, and enjoying the KHL at home on TV, I obviously bought a ticket to see Dinamo Riga...

Now that's it, I'm totally obsessed. Everything just was right. The country is amazing, the city is amazing the arena is great, the team (was) great :shakehead and the atmosphere/fans are the best anywhere in the world!

Now I visit every year to see Dinamo. Being in UK(as your flag suggests) makes it quiet easy and cheap to go watch some KHL hockey live. But beware once you go you can't go back!

If Dinamo were to not exists I don't know what I'd do. Probably follow Vityaz. I have a soft spot for them since they turned them image around.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I was six years old when I saw the Dynamo Moscow Vs. Lada finals and something with Dynamo just caught my eye and it was enough, I wish I'd knew what a boring team they would become though. :D

Also supporting Lokomotiv, more like because of the city of Yaroslavl.

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
My main KHL team is Sibir.
Everything start from his former logo and the old cooperation with my true love hockey team : the Habs.
DEspite of this,Siberia sounds wild and unkonwn for me :D

My second favourite team is Riga.Small country with hockey as a main sport.Nice arena and fans.

And both got something fine for me,not a real contenders.I don't know why,but i use to cheers for not winning teams...every win got a better taste,

In a minor sense,got some sympaty for Admiral ,Amur & Slovan.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
My father and uncle were huge Torpedo Moscow fans during Streltsov era and that passed on to me ... unfortunately.

Since the hockey Torpedo is the only one left...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I like Magnitka because I've always been a huge fan of Mozyakin and Zaripov.

I was drawn a first time by Magnitka when Malkin played there during the lockout. He was the best player in the world at that time, and while my main guys from the Caps were playing together with Dynamo Moscow, I tried to catch a few Magnitka games. I jumped on the bandwagon when my all time favourite player Sasha Semin joined the team last year around December.

I have never been a diehard fan and there are more than one team I like in KHL (also in other leagues/sports as well) but the one stands out the most for me is Avangard.

I can write a book about why I love hockey and KHL in particular, but to be honest with you, I have no idea why I came up with Avangard in first place. I didn't "pick" a team, it grew over time, alongside with Sibir and Traktor.

I think it has something to do with my Siberia obsession - as a kid, I read a lot of Russian novels and thus grew more and more interested in culture but especially Siberia. I was not a miserable loner but the people and atmosphere in those novels deeply influenced me and I liked them way more than the real people around me. I'm 22 and still, if I stay up too late, I just go check online cameras in Siberian cities to see sun coming up there. I seriously have no idea what got me so crazy about the place but I simply feel myself "fulfilled" and happy even when I think about it. My Russian friends say it's only because I haven't been to Siberia. :laugh:

So, over time, as a young guy who also happens to love ice hockey, I liked Avangard more and more. A good team from a big city with huge potential. Similar reasons for Sibir and Traktor as well... I know Chelyabinsk is not exactly Siberian but anyways, it's from that region I deem dreamland. Moreover, who doesn't like a team called TRAKTOR with a polar bear as their logo? When I watch those teams play at home, I feel like my grandma just cooked me some delicious soup. Some kind of home comfort. Impossible to describe for me with words. Most of the time, I watch games only to feel at home rather than see good hockey.

I don't know what's mentally wrong with me but I like it. :laugh: Not surprisingly, I will study Russian Literature & Language at university and in five to ten years, maybe I will have the chance to call Omsk or Novosibirsk as my actual home.

Sounds like you're a Russian at heart. Nothing wrong with that, Russia is a beautiful country and Russian culture is fascinating.
I also have an obsession with Russia (not as much as you though :laugh:), I'd like to learn the language and visit if I can.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I'd like to learn the language and visit if I can.

Be careful what you wish for. I've been studying Russian for 4 and a half years, and wouldn't wish this torture on anyone :D. It's a beautiful language, but brutally difficult to learn.

But in keeping with the topic of the thread. Obviously my team was (and will be again if they are able to rejoin the league) Donbass Donetsk. However, when they had to depart I found myself in need of a new team. I had always found myself drawn to Sibir, partly because of their uni's, but also because they seemed to be a decent team, but not a SKA type juggernaut that could buy themselves a championship. I have always been a fan of the underdog, and Sibir seemed to fit that bill nicely. They also have amazing fans, and the team and players are extremely active in their community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsf1sYX3aNI&list=FLtmJtTak-FOQ2ZauisrjtJg&index=9

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Be careful what you wish for. I've been studying Russian for 4 and a half years, and wouldn't wish this torture on anyone :D. It's a beautiful language, but brutally difficult to learn.

But in keeping with the topic of the thread. Obviously my team was (and will be again if they are able to rejoin the league) Donbass Donetsk. However, when they had to depart I found myself in need of a new team. I had always found myself drawn to Sibir, partly because of their uni's, but also because they seemed to be a decent team, but not a SKA type juggernaut that could buy themselves a championship. I have always been a fan of the underdog, and Sibir seemed to fit that bill nicely. They also have amazing fans, and the team and players are extremely active in their community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsf1sYX3aNI&list=FLtmJtTak-FOQ2ZauisrjtJg&index=9

I studied Chinese for 3 years, Russian doesn't scare me at all :laugh:

Seems like we have quite a few people who like Sibir here. Too bad they missed the playoffs.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I support Kuznya, because I originate from the area, and the rest of Siberian teams for the same reason :dunno:

Mar 14, 2017
I've had a long hard look at every KHL team and i've chosen Medvescak Zagreb.. literally due to the logo and the history of the club. Hopefully i've made a good choice and it will be easier to keep track of the league with a team to follow!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I've had a long hard look at every KHL team and i've chosen Medvescak Zagreb.. literally due to the logo and the history of the club. Hopefully i've made a good choice and it will be easier to keep track of the league with a team to follow!

It is 99% likely they are leaving K after this season, will play EBEL.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
It is 99% likely they are leaving K after this season, will play EBEL.

Any rumors who replace Medvescak? I red interesting article on championat.com today, and mr. Novikov have said something about the second team in Saint Petersburg - Spartak. And, of course, something about London...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Wasn't the announcement this morning?

De facto yes, de iure not. There is a deadline for all KHL clubs, who want to play KHL next season, to do paperwork until April 30. Here is a scenario which will happen: Medvescak will not confirm a budget & other things for new KHL season (April 30), the KHL Board of Directors will not accept Medvescak for new season (May or June) and then it will be official. Therefore I am talking about 99%.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Growing up I was always a fan of Sokol, and later on Khimik. Now i find myself supporting Sibir. Modest budget, cool city. They always seem able to do more with less.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Any rumors who replace Medvescak? I red interesting article on championat.com today, and mr. Novikov have said something about the second team in Saint Petersburg - Spartak. And, of course, something about London...

I think we wont see any new club this offseason. In future the KHL will accept only clubs from Europe which can strengthen the league - image, financing, results on ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad