Why do the AHL teams move so often?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
8 or so moves in the past couple of years are related to the NHL teams moving their affiliates west.

Since the Sharks bought their AHL franchise (circa 1995), it's moved three times: Lexington KY to Cleveland to Worcester to SJ.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Parent club wants to be closer, market dries up, ticket sales drop after "honeymoon period", owner loses money/interest.....

Minor league sports are not as steady as sports in larger markets in major leagues.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Parent club wants to be closer, market dries up, ticket sales drop after "honeymoon period", owner loses money/interest.....

Minor league sports are not as steady as sports in larger markets in major leagues.

This. So much this. The economics of the minor leagues are SO much closer to the razor's edge of survival in many markets, so seemingly small combinations of things can force a team to move, or just make it more appealing for the owner to sell to someone who wants to move. You want REAL chaos, look at the mid-minors and low-minors (ECHL and SPHL and the leagues that have come and gone at those levels over the last 20 years).

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Milwaukee has been with Nashville since they started in 1998. That makes 18 years and counting. One ownership change. Jane Bradley Pettit died in 2001. Harris Turer purchased the team in 2004.

flooredaccord

Apr 30, 2011
Milwaukee has been with Nashville since they started in 1998. That makes 18 years and counting. One ownership change. Jane Bradley Pettit died in 2001. Harris Turer purchased the team in 2004.

Who owned it in between those years?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Figured something like that, thanks for the info.

The money allotted for the team nearly ran out, according to what I heard third hand. If not for Harris Turer, the team would have moved or folded. I don't think they could have made another year. The team cut way back on give aways and staffing.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The money allotted for the team nearly ran out, according to what I heard third hand. If not for Harris Turer, the team would have moved or folded. I don't think they could have made another year. The team cut way back on give aways and staffing.

I remember hearing the same thing here in Chicago...hearing that the admirals might be moving unless some financial backing was found.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
This. So much this. The economics of the minor leagues are SO much closer to the razor's edge of survival in many markets, so seemingly small combinations of things can force a team to move, or just make it more appealing for the owner to sell to someone who wants to move. You want REAL chaos, look at the mid-minors and low-minors (ECHL and SPHL and the leagues that have come and gone at those levels over the last 20 years).

Or take a look at the FHL. Now THAT is an interesting league right there...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Teams don't pay for giveaways, sponsors do...but, when you cut staff you inevitably cut the very people that get those sponsors, so you get fewer of them to pay for stuff to give away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad