Why do 2 masses attract?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Essentially, why does gravity exist?

The curvature of space-time. I get that. A suspended table cloth with pool balls is the best way I see it.

But why?

Hypothetically, if there was nothing in the universe except 2 masses, they would be attracted to each other and that is throwing me for a loop :(

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Is anybody else pissed off that we don't know where we are?

On a tiny rock hurdling through space with no clue.

It is impossible to see or get to parts of the universe. We are so ignorant it hurts.

Grrrrr.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
The universe is too big.

The known universe, or what we can see, is unimaginably large.

But the true size is likely some 400 trillion times bigger according to some.

All I know is, humans are explores. It's in our DNA so to speak. But unfortunately we will never know and understand even our own galaxy IMHO.

It discourages me. What's the point?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Get off the VSauce ya bum :)

I assumed you meant alcohol, but asked a co-worker.

He was an old-timer also and had no clue.

Hours later I see him again and he tells me he asked some Millennials what VSauce is.

They knew.

For those that are normal, not talking about fiber, VSauce is a YouTube channel about science questions.

Like how much weight do you lose when you pass gas? .0316 grams on average.

Not my thing but good to see the exploration of the brain.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I assumed you meant alcohol, but asked a co-worker.

He was an old-timer also and had no clue.

Hours later I see him again and he tells me he asked some Millennials what VSauce is.

They knew.

For those that are normal, not talking about fiber, VSauce is a YouTube channel about science questions.

Like how much weight do you lose when you pass gas? .0316 grams on average.

Not my thing but good to see the exploration of the brain.
You're welcome...i think

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Anybody else like space stuff?

I just watched Apollo 11. It was a CNN, yes I know, movie.

It had crazy great footage.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Ok, I'm venting...

My buddy went camping out in the middle of the desert last weekend with an astronomer and a telescope.

He saw two arms of the Milky Way. Naked eye.

Must have been beautiful.

My brain goes to, why is the Milky Way in the distance? I thought we were on an arm?

Is the distance that great?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
My daughter told me she was questioning the moon landing. She's 13.

Luckily her uncle controls a node of NASA imagery at a university. I asked her if she trusted her uncle?

I also explained that we can see things left on Moon.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The same reason cereal floats in bunches. Aliens.
That tears it! I'm clearing out my stock of Quisp cereal immediately.

c_300.jpg

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
You know, once when I was about to fall asleep in bed, I discovered in my mind what it is that is out there. Like, beyond space that we can see. I solved it. It was so clear in my mind. It was like a mathematical equation.

Then I fell asleep and of course couldn't remember it anymore in the morning.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

The curvature of space-time. I get that. A suspended table cloth with pool balls is the best way I see it.

But why?

Hypothetically, if there was nothing in the universe except 2 masses, they would be attracted to each other and that is throwing me for a loop :(
I think the physicists are explaining it with a variety of things. Nuclear forces inside the atom like weak force and spins and whatever, then you get another frame of reference with wave (not particle) interactions, then you go big scale with curvature of space-time, and so on.

I can't explain gravity until I learn why and how physical phenomena have their effect. Like, you push a camshaft down with a conrod. What actually, really happens in that push? What's the measurable delay in that pushing?

Or if you pull an infinite lever. It's not instantaneous. What's the speed of "force" travelling through until the pivot starts turning?

What's the speed of impact through some (or any) material? Does it depend on the crystal structure of it, or Martians, or what?

[Edit: not camshaft but you know that. The shaft anyways.]

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's hard to tell.

Scientists don't fully understand gravity.

Gravity is one of the weakest forces in the universe, but yet it can have pull on objects so far away.

My VERY uneducated theory is that because the universe is expanding everything is moving in one direction, including subatomic particles. These subatomic particles travel around and theory large bodies of mass. However, if the mass is dense enough, the subatomic particles can't pass through the object and that cause them to go around the object leading to more subatomic particles going around the object, leaving a void space, which creates a vacuum to pull the closest subatomic particles into the previous occupied space. That creates another vacuum that pulls more and more and more and so forth.

I have no flame suit on as I should be roasted and I fully expect to be cooked by supper time.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
It's hard to tell.

Scientists don't fully understand gravity.

Gravity is one of the weakest forces in the universe, but yet it can have pull on objects so far away.

My VERY uneducated theory is that because the universe is expanding everything is moving in one direction, including subatomic particles. These subatomic particles travel around and theory large bodies of mass. However, if the mass is dense enough, the subatomic particles can't pass through the object and that cause them to go around the object leading to more subatomic particles going around the object, leaving a void space, which creates a vacuum to pull the closest subatomic particles into the previous occupied space. That creates another vacuum that pulls more and more and more and so forth.

I have no flame suit on as I should be roasted and I fully expect to be cooked by supper time.

You lost me at, "one direction."

Reactions: Tweed

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Physics fundamentally doesn't answer 'why' in the sense of purpose or meaning. It rather reports on the outside of phenomena, as it were. I don't think physics can speak to the emic side of the emic-etic distinction. The emic is a matter of subjectivity and intersubjectivity, the internal life of volition, etc.

You lost me at, "one direction."
I think he or she meant the normal trajectory as borne out by red shift and the expansion of the universe. EDIT: never mind.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

But why?

Nobody knows yet. We have yet to find the particle responsible for it. But gravity is a special force as it can't be counteracted.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

But why?

My pet theory has always been that space is not a void, it's a medium. Sorta like, does a fish see the water it swims in?

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad