Why didn't Sharp get his letter back?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Even if Seabs wasn't here, Kane should be the next guy in line for the A, not Sharp.

But good for Sharp for being a big enough man to know he doesn't need a letter to act like a leader.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Seniority.

He lost that when he was moved, but that's not typically how these things work. I was my varsity HS team's captain as a junior over seniors on the team. Then wore it again my senior year. And I doubt Sharp would even accept it if they tried to take it from Seabs and give it to him.

I'd say Kane is the next likely candidate to wear one. Pretty sure he wears one when one of Keith or Seabs is injured, actually.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why would you take the A away from an established player signed to a longterm deal (like it or not) to give it to someone that's signed for only a single year? I mean, I might understand if we were talking about a major free agent signing on a longterm deal, but definitely not for this. And say what you want about Seabs, I don't think a negative thing could be said about his leadership qualities and locker room impact, so it's not like he's lacking in that field.

Love Sharpie, but the C belongs to Toews and the A belongs to Keith and Seabrook, and rightfully so. Maybe if any of them are out, Sharp would be a frontrunner for a temporary A, but not beyond that.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They're not going to give a letter to a guy signed for 1 year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If Toews left and then came back, do you think they'd make him C, an A, or nothing at all?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It would depend on the situation. How long did he leave for? What was the reason he left? Who's still on the team and considered a leader? Etc.

Free agency, 2 year deal in Winnipeg, they make him captain immediately, returns in 2025, C-Keith, A-Kane and Saad. In this scenario, Keith is still playing and effective at 42. And Toews wins Conn Smythe in a SCF loss one of his years with the Jets.

Last edited:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
The A would go to Kane before Sharp. Sharp was a fine A when it was his turn. Seabrook is one of the current A's (rightfully so) and that's not changing unless he is no longer on the team.

Plus, anyone who has actually been in a locker room knows that a guy like Sharp wouldn't consider accepting the A with the likes of Kane on the roster still. He would feel honored, but he would respectfully decline. Sharp knows his role and doesn't need a letter on his sweater to demonstrate such.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks fans know Sharp's value and leadership on this team. There's plenty of Sharp jerseys at the UC with his A on it since he was/is a popular player. Admittedly, it's weird to see him without it, but it's not like that is going to effect his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad