Why Did Toronto Give Up On Marleau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Give up on Marleau??

:biglaugh:

The Leafs sacrificed team success to keep Marleau's stupid ironman streak going, and he played more and higher in the lineup than he deserved. He was one of the worst players on the ice, especially towards the end of the season when he couldn't skate but was inexplicably getting more ES TOI/GP than Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, Brown, and Moore. And wasn't there some stat about him getting more TOI than Matthews in the 3rd period of game 7 or something?

And then he asked to be traded. And then he asked to be bought out. And then he got rejected by every single team, including his career team. And then they signed him for like 10% of his previous salary after completely bombing the start of the year.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Leafs have better depth now. Better top end talent and better depth. At least that’s what I was told. Personally I don’t think you can get your cake and eat it too, in the modern cap era it’s usually most often one or the other. Trading two backups, your only grit, two lockeroom leaders, best two way center with a reasonable cap price and six players who hit twenty goals, two who hit thirty in the span of a year means Dubas had to sacrifice his depth to be extremely top heavy. I mean their a goaltending injury away from the season being over. Who would be Hutchinson’s backup anyway. I can’t believe I just asked that question about a team who regularly has high Stanley cup odds. “Who would be Hutchinson’s backup anyway...”

This team is better than Last years lol get a clue. Tavares is a far better two way center than Kadri was, and Kadri was useless as a 3C, we got an actual 3C for him and one of the best offensive defencemen in hockey for him although he hasnt been used properly. Marleau was an overpaid bum i dont know why we would want him back. It was either Johnsson + Kapanen or Marleau. Hainsey is also past his expired date. When the Leafs are on their game theyre one of the best, which leads me to believe their issues are more coaching than anyone else.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Kinda shocked this is still open....

But to sum up everybody's thoughts
  • There's this thing called a salary cap
  • The Leafs were right up against said salary cap
  • Patrick Marleau made too much money and added very little
  • The Leafs had at least 6 wingers better and if they weren't significantly better they were significantly cheaper
  • If you have to decide to keep one of Marleau or Nylander....you keep Nylander.
  • If you have to decide to keep Marleau or both Johnsson and Kapanen....you take Johnsson and Kapanen.
  • See...there's this guy named Mitch Marner who needed some money...
  • Do I really need to continue?
He's a great guy. Offered great leadership and I'm glad he's doing well but I promise you he wouldn't have had a positive impact on the Leafs - at least in relation to salary.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
He's a pathetic low effort player who coasts around just aiming to keep that iron man streak alive. Sets a terrible terrible example for the younger players, way less intensity than even Kessel was stereotyped to have. The fact that he was brought to Toronto to "set an example" may have even backfired if he was successful in doing so. Early days but watching Matthews and Nylander this year aside from the past few games might suggest he had an impact.

After watching him play on the Leafs it became obvious why Roenick called him out all those years ago when they were teammates. I appreciate Roenick for publicly bringing the heat on Marleau, because players who play with way more intensity and heart regularly get lambasted as lazy and careless by the media. Roenick was the only guy who brought the heat. Even in a market like Toronto he got spared by the media but it was mostly fans criticizing him. Just like in San Jose, not every fan but quite a few had similar feelings about him from reading threads at the time he departed San Jose.

San Jose Sharks: Jeremy Roenick Rips Ex-Teammate Patrick Marleau

Roenick's new book takes a poke at Marleau - "He's got his own agenda," the ex-captain responds - Working the Corners

Also lol at his salty reply to Babcock. Only if his play on the ice showed that as well. Babcock says Marleau wants to break Howe's games played record

One example that always comes to mind was in the playoffs series against Boston him and Krug accidentally collided with Krug taking the worst of it and after the whistle Krug comes up to him, a literal midget compared to Marleau, cross checks him and Marleau just turns the other cheek. His play on the ice was so soft, he couldn't even spell intensity. Never hated watching a player more than Marleau. It was okay 5 years ago because he was a very proficient producer thanks to his size and sheer skill but now if he's not producing he's a negative, in terms of play and impact on younger players. So glad he's no longer in Toronto. He's just riding a hot streak right now, that too will pass.

Tell us how you really feel.

Reactions: Faterson

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Because it was time for him to go. Yes hes having a good start back in SJ thats great and all but he wasnt doing a tonne here.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
FA77436B-6488-497F-99DD-22F1C1EF6FA6.jpeg

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
giphy.gif

8 years ago Marleau was 32 years old, I don't know how much you expect a senior citizen to mix it up but it's not in the best interest for him or his team to be doing so anymore
then he shouldn't have. Cant claim its good on him to fight if hes that old then if he loses say well he's old so he shouldn't lol.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
then he shouldn't have. Cant claim its good on him to fight if hes that old then if he loses say well he's old so he shouldn't lol.

I'm saying it doesn't make sense for him to mix it up NOW

8 years ago it was fine, but it doesn't make sense for a 40 year old to play with "grit" or "heart" if it means he might break a hip

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
i know you said “about”... but 9 forwards?! Wow thats gotta be record. JT, matthews, marner, nylander?? Kerfoot is possible but who else?
Kapanen, AJ, Hyman has been close before(42 in 71 games)

It was partially sarcastic, and slightly exaggerated haha

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It’s pretty obvious. He’s old and we need cap space for our young talent. Even if he’s producing how long will he play for? What would be the point of giving up someone like Nylander

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad