why aren't replica goalie masks sold?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The work is done by the artist. Hence, it must be licensed.

You would think this would be a revenue opportunity for both teams, and artists.

And, considering the fact that the cap is driven by % of revenue, maybe the goalies themselves would want to get involved with this. It would increase their paycheques too. ;)

Victory Ali*

Sign me up for a Steve Shields mask from when he was with the Bs

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Jersey's sell cause people wear them, hats sell cause people wear them, Goalie masks are a very select interest not much of the general public would buy them. The only people that would really buy them would be for decoration (not the a top seller for any sport) or for recreational goalies it would be way to expensive for very little profit.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Jersey's sell cause people wear them, hats sell cause people wear them, Goalie masks are a very select interest not much of the general public would buy them. The only people that would really buy them would be for decoration (not the a top seller for any sport) or for recreational goalies it would be way to expensive for very little profit.

I think they'd sell, honestly. They would be huge in minor/junior/senior hockey across North America. They'd even sell in lacrosse, though it would be a tiny blip on the radar compared to mens and womens hockey around the world.

I'd imagine the costs would be comparable to the generic paintjobs on helmets sold today (not base colour, but the generic designed ones).

They would also be killer collectibles for the wealthy fan. Who wouldn't want a signed, encased helmet of their favourite goalie?

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
I'd imagine it would be the cost of the mask that prevents it from being sold. I don't think they have a machine that paints hockey masks like the goalies have. Since it's done by hand you're looking at a large cost and it probably would take a long time to do, plus I'm sure the artist would get bored having to do the same design over and over again.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
I'd imagine it would be the cost of the mask that prevents it from being sold. I don't think they have a machine that paints hockey masks like the goalies have. Since it's done by hand you're looking at a large cost and it probably would take a long time to do, plus I'm sure the artist would get bored having to do the same design over and over again.
I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Upper Deck used to have miniature goalie masks three or four years ago of the most popular NHL masks and they had a pretty good level of detail. The problem with full sized replicas are probably cost and the licensing issues with the artists.

Wetcoaster

Maybe it has something to do with liablity. If you sell a replica mask and someone wears it ina game and is injured......?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There are a couple of vendors that sell them. I bought my penguins mask from www.superstarssports.com Although they no longer have the one I bought. I think it was discontinued.

other vendors that sell them are

www.icejerseys.com
www.vintagegoaliemasks.com (unfortunately you cant order online here, but you can contact them and ask them if they accept paypal or something like that)
www.hockeymasks.com
www.onlinesports.com

That hockeymasks.com catalog is pretty cool. Same with the vintagegoaliemasks.com site. That one has newer goalie masks with the cage, like Brodeur, Roy, Belfour etc. If only I had an extra 500 bucks to spare..

Last edited:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
the vintagegoaliemasks site was a trip down memory lane. Not cheap, but for the fan with dollars, a great conversation piece(I want a Mike Palmateer myself-fav goalie growing up)

RockyMtnPantherFan

Apr 4, 2007
Gainesville, FL
But the NFL sells football helmets and they're pretty readily available so I dont think liability has anything to do with it

Usually the replica NFL helmets come with a disclaimer that says something like "Warning: For Display Purposes Only; Do Not Use In Actual Game"...Im sure the masks would come with a similar disclaimer...

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I've seen replica Nabokov ones for sale on the net. Off the top of my head I can't recall where but I know it was on the site of the artist who pointed it. There were also a few other NHL models, presumably other masks painted by the same guy.

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
I know Play It Again at Crossroads used to sell replica Cujo and Belfour masks for $60 around here, for road hockey purposes. Asked for one for my birthday, ended up not getting it (a full set is still pretty good tho :))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad