Speculation: Why are the RFA's not signing?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Because they have a lot of time to sign their rfa, since the odds of someone offer sheeting them is pretty rare.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Since when have RFAs ever been signed before free agency? They've up right before training camp to get a deal done and that's not until mid August. They will get signed here i think both Mrazek and DeKeyser are close with Detroit. The RFA offers just went out right before free agency it takes time a few RFAs have resigned already.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Because there's no hurry to sign them, you sign your free agents first since there's limit of when you can sign them until before they get released.

RFAs typically get signed after the free agency market cools down, and everyone is basically gone now except a handful of guys.

Mad Brills*

Don't they have to file for arbitration before july 5th?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's their plan all along. They'll run far, far away while everyone's dishing out top dollar to the older FAs.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yup i think you've to have so many season under your belt and be at least 24 years old i believe.

A short cliff notes version:

Players signed at age 18-20 need to be one year removed from their ELC.

Players signed at age 21+ will be arbitration eligible after their ELC.

There are more details that could change that for an individual player like missing a season due to injury, but those simplified criteria will cover 95%+ of the players. The youngest a player could be arbitration eligible is age 22 (an 18 year old signee who played 4 seasons in the NHL).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs qualified 4 RFAs and signed 3 of them (Andrighetto, Barberio & Carr) and are negotiating with the 4th one (Danault).

If there is 1 unsigned UFA I wouldn't mind Habs offer sheeting, it's Tampa's Nikita Kucherov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad