Why are players that have agents negotiate their personal contracts negotiating CBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealFalconsSupporter

Nov 25, 2003
New England
Visit site
I'm fairly new to this board but can any of you more experienced posters explain why players like Damphousse and Linden that have agents and lawyers negotiate their own personal contracts with NHL GM's get involved in negotiations on behalf of the membership. Do they have the where with all and needed background to negotiate on behalf of over 700 of their counterparts?

I just don't get it. Is this the way it's done in other pro sports like the NBA and NFL? Seems very odd and unpractical.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
Yes. All the pro sports have a union. Without a union and a CBA you can't have things like a draft, free agency, etc. because all that has to be in a CBA in order to avoid anti-trust issues.

RealFalconsSupporter

Nov 25, 2003
New England
Visit site
krandor said:
Yes. All the pro sports have a union. Without a union and a CBA you can't have things like a draft, free agency, etc. because all that has to be in a CBA in order to avoid anti-trust issues.

I get that part but why do they not hire qualified and experienced negotiators that actually know how to strike a deal? It seems odd to me that players that have to get their agents and lawyers to negotiate their personal contracts actually get involved in negotiating on behalf of all of their counterparts. If they are so qualified why do they need agents?

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
If you are trying to say that its really the agents who are pulling all the strings around...your right.

When a players if faced with an unknown of any kind, he will eventually call his agent for advise. Thats why Goodenow met the agents at least once formally.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
RealFalconsSupporter said:
I'm fairly new to this board but can any of you more experienced posters explain why players like Damphousse and Linden that have agents and lawyers negotiate their own personal contracts with NHL GM's get involved in negotiations on behalf of the membership. Do they have the where with all and needed background to negotiate on behalf of over 700 of their counterparts?

I just don't get it. Is this the way it's done in other pro sports like the NBA and NFL? Seems very odd and unpractical.

good point... it is a little weird that they would not have a team of agents representing them... then maybe things would get done because the agents would want to get paid as well (hehehe)...

that being said... many are blaming the players and the owners for no hockey... I would also like to blame the agents as they have manipulated the old CBA (which was their job) to get more $$ for their clients... not saying they should not have done so but they should take some of that blame too... these guys are getting off scott free (even though they were doing their job) there should be some responsibility taken.

it may be good for the NHL to hire an agent or too to help them not allow these loopholes to occur anymore in the upcoming CBAs...

Shainsaw

Feb 15, 2005
Your right mabe we would be better off if the players agent's represented the players in negotiating the CBA. The agents worh their whole life getting the best deal for their players. Why? Because they get paid if the players get paid. The agents would have been smart enouph to know that the best deal came last week. I have no idea why the players think otherwise.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
I get that part but why do they not hire qualified and experienced negotiators that actually know how to strike a deal? It seems odd to me that players that have to get their agents and lawyers to negotiate their personal contracts actually get involved in negotiating on behalf of all of their counterparts. If they are so qualified why do they need agents?

You aren't required to have an agent as a player. For example, Miroslav Satan represents himself in all negotiations, but he isn't part of the NHLPA negotiation group. Similarly, there are many players that are fully qualified in business (and therefore don't NEED agents) that use them anyway because it keeps their mind focused on the actual hockey.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
dakota said:
good point... it is a little weird that they would not have a team of agents representing them... then maybe things would get done because the agents would want to get paid as well (hehehe)...

that being said... many are blaming the players and the owners for no hockey... I would also like to blame the agents as they have manipulated the old CBA (which was their job) to get more $$ for their clients... not saying they should not have done so but they should take some of that blame too... these guys are getting off scott free (even though they were doing their job) there should be some responsibility taken.

it may be good for the NHL to hire an agent or too to help them not allow these loopholes to occur anymore in the upcoming CBAs...

Well, look at it this way, when a plyer needs to negotiate a contract he has an agent (lawyer) working for him while the team most of the time has an ex-player as GM working for the team. Who do you think is the better negotiator most of the time...the lawyer. Good fiscall team seem to have lawyer GMs or real smart ex-players that have lawyers at their disposal.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site

It does seem odd and impractical, doesn't it.

Good point.

Considering that the typical NHL player has no representation in the executive committe anyway, they may as well replace those players with players agents. At least they may have experience in the areas of law and negotiation.

Wetcoaster

That is why the NHLPA has its own laboour negotiators and legal advisors including Goodenow, Saskin and Ian Pulver. Most of the negotiating is done by the professionals who are employed by the union membership and given direction through their elected player reps and executive bargaining committee.

It is the same in the NFL and NBA.

RealFalconsSupporter

Nov 25, 2003
New England
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
That is why the NHLPA has its own laboour negotiators and legal advisors including Goodenow, Saskin and Ian Pulver. Most of the negotiating is done by the professionals who are employed by the union membership and given direction through their elected player reps and executive bargaining committee.

It is the same in the NFL and NBA.

Thanks for the information but can you give me your opinion on whether or not these guys are actually qualified to negotiate on behalf of the game and it's players. Do they have a proven track record for getting deals done without causing prolonged work stoppages to accomplish their goals?

Do these elected players get any kind of training in the art of negotiations or do they rely totally on what Bob Goodenow and Ted Saskin tell them to say and do? Just seems to me as a novice looking in that the fact that this work stoppage which could last years is being run by players and their leaders that from what I can gather from what I have read on this board lack common sense and a feel for the economic climate of todays NHL. Their mindset seems to be set in the past and the fact they have not come to grips with the reality of the situation seems to be blocking any progress in their talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad