Why are junk emails on my Hotmail going into my deleted file even though I click block?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can anyone tell me why when I click block email if I happen to get junk it's still going into the deleted file on my Hotmail account? The only possible reason I can think of is this. Last month before I went on vacation if I had a junk email and I clicked block address that's exactly what would happen. Now during my vacation I did not have access to a computer so when I got a junk email on my iPhone I had no choice but to delete it which means it went into my deleted box before getting rid of it deleting it permanently. So is that reason this is happening or is it some other reason I'm not seeing?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Because you are still using hotmail.

Didn't it die out a decade ago?

He probably means the web version of Outlook (outlook.live. com, where hotmail. com redirects these days). "Hotmail" has been owned by Microsoft for the last 23 years. That branding is dead, yes, but not the service, which is just part of the Outlook service now. You can still use your old @hotmail.com addresses.

Last edited:
Reactions: KapG

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He probably means the web version of Outlook (outlook.live. com, where hotmail. com redirects these days). "Hotmail" has been owned by Microsoft for the last 23 years. That branding is dead, yes, but not the service, which is just part of the Outlook service now. You can still use your old @hotmail.com addresses.
That's correct.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Does "blocking" on outlook online really just create a rule and delete them?
Maybe you have another rule that's taking effect first?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Are you using a non-browser e-mail client, like Outlook (or Windows Mail or something else), on your computer at home? If so, your blocking rule might be a part of that (i.e. the blocking is client side, not server side) and that's why you're seeing those e-mails on your phone while on vacation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Are you using a non-browser e-mail client, like Outlook (or Windows Mail or something else), on your computer at home? If so, your blocking rule might be a part of that (i.e. the blocking is client side, not server side) and that's why you're seeing those e-mails on your phone while on vacation.
On my computer I always long onto my email through the Outlook website and I was able to block any junk email addresses that I happen to get. When I clicked on the junk folder for my email on my iPhone I was using the email setup through Apple that's already on the iPhone, so I didn't download the Outlook app. However that didn't effect me being able to block those junk email addresses on my computer. So like I said before when I came home from vacation last month is when I started to notice my junk emails going into my deleted file, even though I clicked block when selecting them. Basically I didn't do anything different if that's what you're asking.

Also if it matters when I was on vacation I drove from Toronto - Orlando and that meant I stayed in various Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn & Suites locations along my way and I used their computers at their business centres to block any junk emails, so I didn't need to open the junk folder on my iPhone. At that time I was able to block them without any problems.

It was once I arrived in Orlando when I didn't have access to a computer and only used my iPhone for all my emails.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
man hotmail is terrible, i still get phishing emails. I use gmail now but I'm too lazy to switch the email on some of my accounts.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Can anyone tell me why when I click block email if I happen to get junk it's still going into the deleted file on my Hotmail account? The only possible reason I can think of is this. Last month before I went on vacation if I had a junk email and I clicked block address that's exactly what would happen. Now during my vacation I did not have access to a computer so when I got a junk email on my iPhone I had no choice but to delete it which means it went into my deleted box before getting rid of it deleting it permanently. So is that reason this is happening or is it some other reason I'm not seeing?

I found this thread. Someone (MVP) said it was changed because people accidentally blocked emails by accident so it would send them to your deleted items.

Blocking a Sender in Junk Email Should Permanently Delete the Email

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad