Who's To Blame For Penguins Debacle?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Poor roster building and their top guys not going into the corners. You aint going to win playoffs if your star players stick to the perimeter game. You need to muck it up in the corners and get the puck moving behind the goalie.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
...the other team and coach gets paid too.

If they lose this series, they’ll be just as big as threat next year.

I swear this is the most reactionary board I’ve ever seen. Bar none. Every thing has to be a debacle, a hot take, etc.

They’re just getting beat. It happens. I mean the team has lost 1 (soon 2 series) in like 4 years

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Arguably nobody, in any major long-term consequential way anyway. Playoffs sample size is often ignored. They were playing well before. They aren’t now.

Amazing teams come in and happen to have their slump
Average teams come in and hit their stride perfectly
Every team has their ups and downs, timing and matchups are the two most important things in the playoffs... every team is talented enough to be there.

The team has looked very stale at times the past two years even aside from the playoffs.

It's probably time to make some bigger changes. I wouldn't trade Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Guentzel/Murray but anyone else is fair game for me.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
vanilla-ice.jpg

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
...the other team and coach gets paid too.

If they lose this series, they’ll be just as big as threat next year.

I swear this is the most reactionary board I’ve ever seen. Bar none. Every thing has to be a debacle, a hot take, etc.

They’re just getting beat. It happens. I mean the team has lost 1 (soon 2 series) in like 4 years

Eh, it's one thing to get beat, and another to look as lifeless as they have this series.

This is the type of series that brings major changes to a team. Should it? I dunno. But it's gonna happen.

Reactions: Drakon

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
The Islanders being a better hockey team is to blame for the penguins debacle.

People are (largely) shocked that they're on the verge of being swept, is all. Not just beat. Swept. I think people are being a little too prickly with these kind of responses. Islanders have been terrific and have fully earned the position they're in now. But when people are asking "What happened?" Re: the pens, I think it's fair.

Reactions: 63 others

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
So much for that "unfortunate matchup" that everyone kept saying about anyone who plays the Penguins in round 1....they look overmatched.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
I've never seen a team look so disinterested during the playoffs. Almost seems like a locker room problem. Do these players like each other? I know not every team are best buds but I wonder. Who knows.

Reactions: Drakon

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Surely being on the verge of getting swept by the Islanders is not something that should be acceptable. Just what is going in Pittsburgh that they're stinking up the joint so badly?

Also, what changes are going to happen in the off season because, surely, heads will need to roll if this keeps up.

How tf is a higher seeding team beating a lower team a "debacle"?

What a nonsense thread

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Why is potentially getting swept by the best defensive team in the league over the course of the regular season "unacceptable."

What really is unacceptable is that the average fan/media member seems to think that the NY Islanders are still a gong show of an organization.
No one said anything about that in this thread.

It's not a question of simply losing, but a team with Sid and Malkin that won a bunch of cups recently potentially getting swept in the first round is a big deal and very much worthy of discussion. This is a discussion board after all...

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Crosby and Malkin both no showing.

Wonder what the @daver excuses will be? That Crosby didn’t save himself for the playoffs? Or that he was too focused on winning the selke?

I for one can’t wait to see the acrobatics for this one.

Reactions: Casanova

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Capitals because they fired Trotz.

But this is too funny, who would've thought the Islanders would be on the verge of doing this. Told me this last off-season I would've laughed. Won't say it's a sweep yet because Pittsburgh could come back in the next four games like Philly and LA did, then Pens fans will like this laughing at me, like how Leafs fans always do for some reason or another.

If they do face the Capitals it'll be a big smack in the face from Barry Trotz if they beat them. Feel like the Islanders are giving Trotz more freedom than he had in Washington.

Reactions: PuckSeparator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad