Speculation: Who's the next Gallagher / Galchenyuk?

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
I love our scouts! Imagine if we had drafted Grigorenko instead? Galchenyuk is just a beast. Thank god it's him that we got. Honestly, he was 3rd in my list at the time. Forsberg, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk.

They simply made the right choice.

As for Gallagher, I thought he would never make the big league. I've been eating crow since last year for that.. :laugh:

Ouf I'm glad you finally came around.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Maybe Collberg but not in the near future. Galchenyuk we knew he was going to be a star and Gallagher is was all about his work ethic since the day he was drafted and the way he made the World Junior team and had a solid role on the team as well without forgetting his 3 solid years in Vancouver

Besides Collberg, maybe McCaron one day, De la Rose but I don't see any others

hogtownhabsfan*

I think with Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and Eller we have 4 young top 6 studs.

?????-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-?????????

Hopefully two of Collberg, McCarron, Lehkonen, Reway, Hudon, Bozon, and Thomas are able to fill out that top 6 in time.

hogtownhabsfan*

Maybe Collberg but not in the near future. Galchenyuk we knew he was going to be a star and Gallagher is was all about his work ethic since the day he was drafted and the way he made the World Junior team and had a solid role on the team as well without forgetting his 3 solid years in Vancouver

Besides Collberg, maybe McCaron one day, De la Rose but I don't see any others

Lehkonen to me is the best shot.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Now if only our beloved GM had only spent Briere's money on a couple more bodyguards for the kids... I'd almost be done complaining...almost.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The Habs have a fairly wide pool when it comes to potential top-6 offensive players:

Thomas, Reway, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Collberg, Holland, Bozon, Hudon.

None of these guys are blue chippers, but if 1 or 2 could surprise and exceed expectations (a la Gallagher) we'd be in good shape. If I had to choose who has the best chance of doing that, I'd say Hudon.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
To me Hudon is to most likely out of our prospects to emulate the sort of impact Gallagher had on this team even early into his career.

Guys like McCarron or Collberg are all or nothing type of players in my book... You either strike gold or you're left with nothing. Not convinced Collberg will amount to anything special yet, and I have my doubts on McCarron offensive upside. He could still amount to a decent role player though if he can develop his mean streak/fighting ability enough, but I don't think he'll ever impact this team offensively to the extent of a Gallagher.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Would be beautiful to see the top 2 lines looking like

McCarron - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Eller - Lehkonen/Hudon/Collberg

Decent mix of size and skill. Granted you have to hope McCarron and at least one of the other 3 turn into a top 6 forward in the next few years.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
To me Hudon is to most likely out of our prospects to emulate the sort of impact Gallagher had on this team even early into his career.

Guys like McCarron or Collberg are all or nothing type of players in my book... You either strike gold or you're left with nothing. Not convinced Collberg will amount to anything special yet, and I have my doubts on McCarron offensive upside. He could still amount to a decent role player though if he can develop his mean streak/fighting ability enough, but I don't think he'll ever impact this team offensively to the extent of a Gallagher.

I agree that McCarron won't impact this team offensively in same manner as Gallagher but I do think he will be an impact player in a different regard. He's going to change games by setting the tone physically

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
It is hilarious reading these HFBords scouts talk about their doubts about the futures of some very talented prospects, as if most of them know what they are talking about.

Nonetheless, I think Big Mac and the two swedish snipers (Collberg and Lekhonen) have are the most likely to surprise and have a quick impact on the teams top 9 next year or the next.

Big Macs size, vision, physicality, and improved skating and shooting would make it very hard for Bergevin to send him to the Juniors. Collberg and Lekhonen could do the same, but because of their lack of strength and comfort playing on NA ice, I am pretty sure they will play for Hamilton for a atleast a year before joining the Canadiens.

So really, Big Mac is the only guy right now who in my opinion has a fair enough chance to surprise and stick in the NHL next year, but ofcourse.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It is hilarious reading these HFBords scouts talk about their doubts about the futures of some very talented prospects, as if most of them know what they are talking about.

Nonetheless, I think Big Mac and the two swedish snipers (Collberg and Lekhonen) have are the most likely to surprise and have a quick impact on the teams top 9 next year or the next.

Big Macs size, vision, physicality, and improved skating and shooting would make it very hard for Bergevin to send him to the Juniors. Collberg and Lekhonen could do the same, but because of their lack of strength and comfort playing on NA ice, I am pretty sure they will play for Hamilton for a atleast a year before joining the Canadiens.

So really, Big Mac is the only guy right now who in my opinion has a fair enough chance to surprise and stick in the NHL next year, but ofcourse.

The irony is delicious.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Hudon Collberg, MCcarron, Lekhonen, De La rose, Reway, Andrighetto, Bozon all have top 6 potential will they achieve it? It's another story.

We have a good prospect pools, no elites there (aside from Fucale) but a lot of promising players.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Anything is possible but having watched each of these players quite extensively (Reway, Collberg, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, McCarron, DLR, Bozon, Hudon, Holland, Thomas, Leblanc), and having access to all sorts of stats for each of them, I think we all know we need to temper some expectations here.

IMO...

Apart from Lehkonen (who I am a big fan of right now ;)), each and every one of these players are complimentary players or role players, they will likely never be "star" players or part of our core. They aren't stand-alone offensive threats or high-end players with well-rounded skill sets, they aren't the total package and aren't in possession of incredible skills or attributes.

I will be happy if even one of them becomes a consistent top-6 forward. That's not to say I'm not rooting for all of them, I just don't think it's realistic to expect this type of development from them.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Anything is possible but having watched each of these players quite extensively (Reway, Collberg, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, McCarron, DLR, Bozon, Hudon, Holland, Thomas, Leblanc), and having access to all sorts of stats for each of them, I think we all know we need to temper some expectations here.

IMO...

Apart from Lehkonen (who I am a big fan of right now ;)), each and every one of these players are complimentary players or role players, they will likely never be "star" players or part of our core. They aren't stand-alone offensive threats or high-end players with well-rounded skill sets, they aren't the total package and aren't in possession of incredible skills or attributes.

I will be happy if even one of them becomes a consistent top-6 forward. That's not to say I'm not rooting for all of them, I just don't think it's realistic to expect this type of development from them.

Words of wisdom.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote there.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
In two years:

Pax Eller McCaron
Colberg Gally Gally
LeBlanc - Plek - Bournival

?? - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu

Price

Good enouf for cup?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Hudon Collberg, MCcarron, Lekhonen, De La rose, Reway, Andrighetto, Bozon all have top 6 potential will they achieve it? It's another story.

We have a good prospect pools, no elites there (aside from Fucale) but a lot of promising players.

Judging from this thread I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised by Collberg. I've seen a lot of his play at every level and while I'm no scout, just something about this kid has me feeling he's going to be an elite player.

Reminds me a bit of a young Koivu but more of a sniper and plays wing. I loved that pick when it was made and still love it today but to be fair, I haven't seen him play this year, except for in camp/preseason, haven't caught his games in Sweden. Has he been awful? Why are people down on him lately?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I'm happy that we finally have some players that brings legitimacy to the club. The last PPG players we had were Koivu and Kovalev.

Hopefully they can keep up the good work and have 80 points each this season.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009

IMO...

Dead on, more posts should be this intelligent.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Making the World Junior roster seems to be a good indication of future chances to play in the NHL. Canada's 2012 Junior team had Gallagher, Bournival, and Beaulieu. All three are now up with the Habs. 2011 had Leblanc, 2009 had P.K Subban, 2007 Price. Fucale and Hudon were summer camp invitees for the 2014 squad. I'm not sure about squads for other countries but I believe Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Colberg, Bozon, and Pribyl all participated for their respective countries last year.

Another good indicator is the rankings provided by Hockey's Future. They have our top prospects listed as follows:

Alex Galchenyuk Pro 8.5 B
Nathan Beaulieu Pro 8.0 C
Zachary Fucale CHL 8.0 D
Sebastian Collberg Europe 8.0 D
Brendan Gallagher Pro 7.5 B
Mike McCarron Junior 7.5 C
Charles Hudon CHL 7.5 C
Tim Bozon CHL 7.5 C
Jarred Tinordi Pro 7.5 C
Artturi Lehkonen Europe 7.5 D
Sven Andrighetto Pro 7.5 D

This is an easy way to compare how close the rest of the pack is to Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

Looks to me like Bealieu and Coleberg are the guys we should be looking at to make an impact in the next couple of years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad