Speculation: Who's the next captain?

Who will wear the next C?

• Total voters

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
They won't decide until the offseason anyways but I am interested to see who you guys think will be the next captain? I highly doubt ROR comes back. I just don't get that vibe from Army. Schenn is probably the right choice here but I can see them going with Thomas as well. He's the future. His comment's after the game last blaming himself gives me future captain vibes and the league as a whole has started to award younger players the C more these days than ever before. What do you think?

... and no Dizee it won't be Bortz.

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
Think it will probably be Schenn but I would personally like to see it given to Thomas. Schenn is a great choice, too, but a minor gripe I have is changing captains so often and I feel as though it should be given to someone you know will be part of the club for the foreseeable future.

Schenn is someone I could see being moved in the next 2-3 years depending on how this "retool" goes and then we're back to naming another captain.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Kyrou to piss off the fan base

I might pick Kyrou to captain an esports team, but not sure about a hockey team. I think they will give it to Schenn because he deserves it for all he's done for this franchise, but if they want to swing the door wide open on the new era they might jump right to Thomas. My money is on Schenn though.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I’d say it’s between Thomas and Schenn. I don’t see anyone else as in contention for it.

Unless we win the draft lottery, then it’s about giving it to Bedard as soon as he’s ready.

Mar 6, 2012
Parayko should be on your list.

It will surely be one of the current alternate captains...

Thomas, Schenn or Parayko

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Parayko should be on your list.

It will surely be one of the current alternate captains...

Thomas, Schenn or Parayko
You mean the current whipping boy and guy who is in trade rumors?

The Blues aren’t that dense, they would cause a huge uproar if they made Parayko captain, and rightfully so. He’s not captain material at all.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

The Blues aren’t that dense, they would cause a huge uproar if they made Parayko captain, and rightfully so. He’s not captain material at all.

Based on what exactly?

Mar 6, 2012
I'm not saying Parayko is my choice, just that he has to be in the top 3 since he already wears the "A" and it's weird that he didn't even make this list of the top 9 people.

The captaincy is mostly just symbolic anyway. How can fans really be a good judge who would be the best captain? Speculation is kinda silly. How can we know who is a good leader? Who is good in the room? We aren't in the locker rooms, or team meetings or on the ice. How can we know?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Based on what exactly?
You really need to ask that? Better question would be what has he done to be captain material?

Nevermind his subpar play and being one of the most disappointing players on the roster. Is he the guy that can handle tough conversations in the locker room? He comes across as just a happy go lucky guy that is just content to be in the NHL. He seems like a quiet guy that sounds dumbfounded in every interview he gives, and just repeats the same cliches of needing to get the puck in deep. Never says anything else.

Pretty easy to tell.

I'm not saying Parayko is my choice, just that he has to be in the top 3 since he already wears the "A" and it's weird that he didn't even make this list of the top 9 people.

The captaincy is mostly just symbolic anyway. How can fans really be a good judge who would be the best captain? Speculation is kinda silly. How can we know who is a good leader? Who is good in the room? We aren't in the locker rooms, or team meetings or on the ice. How can we know?
Then how did we all nail the previous 3 captains on here? Backes, Pietrangelo and O’Reilly were almost unanimous picks on this board for captain (and among most of the fanbase from what I saw on social media), and we were right on all of them.

I’m tired of that argument that we have no idea. No we’re not in the locker room but it’s extremely easy to tell most of the time. Do I need to be in the locker room to tell you that Nick Leddy won’t be our captain? No, I don’t. It’s obvious and easy to narrow it down to 2 guys, maybe 3 at most.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm thinking Schenn but for some reason my gut is saying Colt55.

You really need to ask that? Better question would be what has he done to be captain material?

Nevermind his subpar play and being one of the most disappointing players on the roster. Is he the guy that can handle tough conversations in the locker room? He comes across as just a happy go lucky guy that is just content to be in the NHL. He seems like a quiet guy that sounds dumbfounded in every interview he gives, and just repeats the same cliches of needing to get the puck in deep. Never says anything else.

Pretty easy to tell.

Then how did we all nail the previous 3 captains on here? Backes, Pietrangelo and O’Reilly were almost unanimous picks on this board for captain (and among most of the fanbase from what I saw on social media), and we were right on all of them.

I’m tired of that argument that we have no idea. No we’re not in the locker room but it’s extremely easy to tell most of the time. Do I need to be in the locker room to tell you that Nick Leddy won’t be our captain? No, I don’t. It’s obvious and easy to narrow it down to 2 guys, maybe 3 at most.
This.

Bottom line is, it's nice to have a group of very qualified folks who we could sew the C on. That's a GOOD problem to have.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I might pick Kyrou to captain an esports team, but not sure about a hockey team. I think they will give it to Schenn because he deserves it for all he's done for this franchise, but if they want to swing the door wide open on the new era they might jump right to Thomas. My money is on Schenn though.
I was joking. Lol, it should be Schenn, it MAY be Thomas.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think the hope is it’s Thomas, but I don’t think they’re going to give it to him until he establishes himself better this season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I voted Thomas. I could see Schenn. My 3rd/4th choice would be Parayko and Faulk, but they are a long shot compared to the top 2.

Parayko has an A right now. He plays more minutes than anyone on the team. I don't think there is a good chance he gets the C given that they are trying to trade him. But he is more likely than a lot of people on the list. Buchnevich who isn't confident in his English and is very shy in interviews isn't getting it. Bortuzzo who is healthy scratched on occasion isn't getting it. For the sake of the poll, Parayko should be an option as he is an alternate currently.

I don't think it's Parayko's happy-go-lucky attitude in interviews that has some people leaving him out of the discussion. Its the fact that he isn't physical. For some reason D have to fight to be captain material. ROR didn't and he got a pass from most (but not all), but Pietrangelo was constantly called a bad captain because he wasn't physical. Parayko, despite being bigger, is even less physical.

That makes some people believe he is a bad leader. But all that matters is how the people in the room feel. Who is the one lifting their spirits in the locker room. We don't see that. We can extrapolate it based on other factors, which is how we have guessed captains in the past, but we can never know for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad