Who's the Canes' MVP at the halfway point

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Yup, we're really halfway through the regular season.

I'm voting Alex Semin. I think his play has been most responsible for the belief in the room that we're serious contenders, and that's lifted the play of everyone. I think Eric Staal needs Semin more than Semin needs Staal.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Close between Staal and Semin. Go with the goal scorer. It can't be understated how good that Staal has been this year in ways that aren't just a product of how strong Semin has been. If you had told me that Staal would be over 54% on home draws this year and over 52% total I would have thought you were crazy. +17 G/TA ratio. Tied for 3rd in the league in takeaways.

It would be easy to isolate Semin as the "factor that changed", and thus credit him for the success of the line as a whole, but it can't be understated that Tlusty is doing his part to make that line click and the fact that Staal is an elite player is doing a lot to help Semin too. The fact that Semin now trusts his linemates enough to pass before shooting has taken HIS game to another level too.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Semin, can again see that Semin +/- last few years isn't some random number. Staal was -20 last year. Semin is so good reading game that he can cover some mistakes by linemates while creating ton of chances.

jbkellner

Jun 18, 2007
Canes Country
I'm voting Alex Semin. I think his play has been most responsible for the belief in the room that we're serious contenders, and that's lifted the play of everyone. I think Eric Staal needs Semin more than Semin needs Staal.

Agree 100%, although I also believe Semin needs the Canes organization (and perhaps a coach like Kirk Muller) as much as it needs him.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Semin

He's the most naturally gifted player on the team, he plays a strong three zone game, and he elevates the play of everyone around him.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm going with Eric Staal. He's been fast, good in 3 zones, has the most responsibilities, draws the most attention, and is leading the team in points.

Plays seem to go: Eric Staal draws two defenders, controls the puck, gets it to Semin who has to beat one defender, who passes it to Tlusty who nobody bothers defending.

If Semin were the primary focus of the defense, I'm not sure he'd have nearly the success he's had thus far.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Voted for Semin even though everyone on the first line has done their job very well so far.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
cannot vote, i assume because not enough posts, but i would have voted for semin. his playmaking has taken the top off of the 1st line's potential.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some interesting tidbits:

Staal before Tlusty last year: 29 points, 43 games, -23
Staal after Tlusty joined his line last year: 41 points, 39 games, +3
Staal this year: 30 points, 24 games, +17

He's also playing 1min/game less this year mainly because Jordan is a legitimate 2C that the Canes have lacked since Brindy faded.

I think there are a number of factors that are leading to that 1st line's success and Semin (who has been fantastic) is one of them. Hard for me to parse out who get's the most credit.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Still somewhat surprised that everybody is trending towards the "new toy", so to speak. I would have thought Staal and Semin would split this down the middle as their success is damn near indistinguishable from one another.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Um why isn't justin faulk a choice? and why don't a lot of you fans generally give him a lot of credit?

But yeah I obvi picked sasha. it's about time he's getting the opportunity and credit he's deserved for the years on years I've been defending him ad nauseam. the definition of defamation of character.

oh and p.s. HE WOULDN'T MAKE THE LEAFS' LINEUP
:naughty:

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
Still somewhat surprised that everybody is trending towards the "new toy", so to speak. I would have thought Staal and Semin would split this down the middle as their success is damn near indistinguishable from one another.

Well Staal's success is mostly due to Semin being on his line. He's still not providing the leadership you expect in a captain. Seems to have difficulty motivating the team (and himself for that matter) at times when it's truly needed. And his often immature behavior especially towards refs sets a bad example for our younger players. You expect more from someone wearing the "C. "

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Personally, I voted for Semin based solely on how he tucks his jersey. I didn't take actual performance into consideration.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
It's Eric Staal, and it's not even close.

Take Semin off this team and it's still better than what we had last year, by virtue of Jordan > Sutter. But if you take Eric off of this team the roster just looks utterly terrible.

Semin makes Eric better, yes, but Eric IS the team. Without Eric Staal we're a lottery team every single year. Without Alex Semin we're a playoff bubble team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad