Who's the bigger blunder, Sbisa or Gudbranson?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Given what value we traded away to gain these two players, and then the consequences... which of these two player acquisitions was the bigger blunder?

I'm not really talking hindsight here, with Gudbranson's injury... or the fact that Sbisa is actually looking like a passable NHL D-man this year...

We didn't trade as much for Sbisa, but he certainly wasn't intended as a cap-dump because Benning. But then that contract... and that TERRIBLE play for his first two years here.

Guds... man we traded a lot for this guy. McCann was a solid prospect, and a rookie. He may not be tracking well right now (Flolrida), but his value was higher. Then the second round pick. Given the place of that second, this was as bad or worse than the Ballard trade. And Guds has played just about as much / as badly.

These are two horrible defensemen, and they are overpaid (whether in contract or what we played in assets). But which is the bigger blunder?

If it weren't for Stetcher and Tryamkin (and hopefully Hutton rights the ship), we'd be in really rough shape, defensively...

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Gudbranson. That was voluntary.

Sbisa at least didn't cost us too much, and was a result of the Kesler trade which you can argue Jim had no choice, but giving up those high 2nd and 4th round picks plus McCann for a 5th D still hurts.

funny how centre prospect pool turned from a position of strength to a weakness after that trade

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gotta' be Gudbranson imo.....traded one of our better prospects and basically hollowed out our entire 2016 draft to acquire a guy who now needs a new contract....Jimbo will end up overpaying him for what amounts to a 5-6 role on the blueline.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Sbisa for now, lets see what Eriks next contract or trade return is before revisiting this blunderdome

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Easy Gudbranson here. Sbisa is overpaid but him being here hasnt hurt the future of the Canucks. Theres been no prospect who suffered by not playing cause he has a spot and the wasted money on him wouldnt of put us into a position of winning something important. The Gudbranson situation HAS hurt the future of our team as we traded Mccann and a 32nd overall pick and 4th rounder for him. Benning appears to be good at drafting around those positions and we lack centres right now so really seems like such a DISASTER of a trade and if they actually do resign this guy that is just gonna be the icing in the cake or whatever

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Gudbranson trade is worse. The Kesler trade can at least be viewed as Kesler for Bonino+McCann. Considering Kesler forced our hand, it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened, all things considered. Sbisa was almost an afterthought that grew out of hand. There's no such silver lining about the Gudbranson trade. We gave up three useful young pieces for garbage that we should have seen from a mile away, when we should have been rebuilding and stocking up on picks and prospects.

The only argument leaning in the opposite direction is that we haven't seen Gudbranson get special treatment to the same completely braindead degree that Sbisa has yet, although he's well on his way.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Erik Gudbranson has been the worst defenceman on the entire team.

Sbisa also wasn't the primary piece of the trade. Bonino + a 1st is a decent package if managed correctly (which it wasn't at all).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
gudbranson is a small mistake that is borne out of old, stupid ideas. teams do the exact same thing a dozen times every year and it turns out mediocre sometimes and bad for others. i wouldnt have done it, but the average loss in the gudbranson deal is not huge - its just indicative of a sad, depressing process. its the kind of deal you will basically never win. doing that over and over is bad but each single action is just a little bad

the sbisa trade was somewhere between bad (forced to take him) and outrageous (actively wanted him). the sbisa signing was one of the most absurd errors ive ever seen. it was indefensible on every single level and is one of the stupidest things this management team has ever done

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
The Gudbranson trade is worse. The Kesler trade can at least be viewed as Kesler for Bonino+. Considering Kesler forced our hand, it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened, all things considered. Sbisa was almost an afterthought that grew out of hand. There's no such silver lining about the Gudbranson trade. We gave up three useful young pieces for garbage that we should have seen from a mile away, when we should have been rebuilding and stocking up on picks and prospects.

The only argument leaning in the opposite direction is that we haven't seen Gudbranson get special treatment to the same completely braindead degree that Sbisa has yet, although he's well on his way.

I feel pretty much the same way.Ignoring the awful contract handed to Sbisa later on,Sbisa was a minor piece in the Kesler deal and likely viewed as a cap dump by Anaheim.

For Guds,we sent Florida a 19 y/o goal scoring center prospect who was good enough to make the NHL in his D+2 season despite injury setbacks in junior (he should have been returned to Jr later in the season,though).We also included a high 2nd round pick in a deep draft with lots of quality prospects projected to be available around there (FLA chose Adam Mascherin who would be a great addition to our very shallow forward prospect pool),plus an early 4th rounder which we really could have used as well.

Sbisa came over as the third most valuable part of a package deal while the Gudbranson deal was us sending a nice package of picks and a top prospect for a bottom pairing defensive defenceman who's going to be looking for a big raise at the end of this year.No idea why we had to pay so much for this type of player when you can find older but similar zero offence,stay at home defenders in free agency for less money than Guddy will likely be looking for when his current deal runs out.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Agree with those who said Gudbranson, as we made a point of targeting him and paid a premium for him.

Both are pro scouting failures to this guy. At least so far. Sbisa has been *less* of a tire fire this year so perhaps RealGud can still redeem himself... not betting the farm on it, however

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Disappointed in his play thus far, but excited to see Gudbranson @ 100%. I watched the entire Islanders-Panthers series, and he was a force there. Fans would probably give him an easier time if he looked as young as Ben Hutton looks.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Disappointed in his play thus far, but excited to see Gudbranson @ 100%. I watched the entire Islanders-Panthers series, and he was a force there. Fans would probably give him an easier time if he looked as young as Ben Hutton looks.

Opposite actually. I only cut him slack because of his square jaw and broad shoulders. His girlfriend isn't ugly either so he's obviously got some confidence too. Never trust a player with a ugly girlfriend.

If GudMANson looked like a pre-pubscent squirt that would be the worst trade in history.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Are you aware at how many players have good playoffs or good playoffs series each year? But in reality, they aren't that good consistently. That's Erik Gudbranson. That's also Joel Ward, for example, who actually earned a payday because of his playoff performance, had two terrible years, one good year and one decent year with WSH before they parted ways.

This team has gotten better since Gudbranson went down.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Gudbranson has had his troubles for sure this season,but I'm not about to tar and feather the guy after only 30 games as a Canuck...Players can improve,Sbisa is a good example of that.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Are you aware at how many players have good playoffs or good playoffs series each year? But in reality, they aren't that good consistently. That's Erik Gudbranson. That's also Joel Ward, for example, who actually earned a payday because of his playoff performance, had two terrible years, one good year and one decent year with WSH before they parted ways.

This team has gotten better since Gudbranson went down.
Joel Ward example makes little sense as an example given he was 30 when he signed in Washington. Also been a consistently good bottom-6 player.

Gudbranson was consistently good in Florida for the whole year prior to the playoffs. He found his role and he had a strong partner. In the playoffs, he was matched against John Tavares and did a pretty bang-up job.

Like I said, he was bad at the start of this year. Expecting him to look better @ 100%. I've seen him play better.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Gudbranson has had his troubles for sure this season,but I'm not about to tar and feather the guy after only 30 games as a Canuck...Players can improve,Sbisa is a good example of that.

Yeah because we're just going to ignore the 300 games he played before coming to Vancouver. :laugh:

I'm going with Gudbranson here...based on acquisition cost and the expected contract he's likely to get. He's not even worth the $3.5M he's receiving right now, so any raise he gets will still be an overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad