• Mick Foley

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other. Please post.

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Other - Bret Hart

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson is right up there. Jericho, Savage, HBK, Guerrero, Rock, Flair, Steamboat, Angle, Benoit, Mysterio, Styles, Punk all rank high for me. I base my list heavily on in ring ability.

If I was basing it strictly on in ring ability then Dynamite Kid and Kenta Kobashi are probably the top two imo.

Biggest draws were Hogan and Austin. Bret drew huge internationally.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
By this argument all sports and awards should be eliminated, because "the answer is a lot more nuanced than just picking a person" or team. :rolleyes: Please.
That's not comparable. This is based on preference for the most part while most sports awards are based on stats. Even with stats most arguments about greatest player of all time in a sport never reach a consensus.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
If Hollywood and bigger things weren't waiting for the Rock, it would be him. He was the total package as WWF/E's version of Ric Flair.

Ric Flair, however, is still the man.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
If Hollywood and bigger things weren't waiting for the Rock, it would be him. He was the total package as WWF/E's version of Ric Flair.

Ric Flair, however, is still the man.
I'd be curious to see how and what Rock would have done had he not left for Hollywood. At the time, he basically accomplished all there was to accomplish at 30 years-old. No idea what direction he'd have gone.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He probably would have done some legacy matches. Wasn’t he pushing to do a Randy Savage match at WM21?

He definitely would have worked the lights of Shawn Michaels, I’m guessing, along with Batista, Cena earlier, Orton, etc.

If Rock stayed I’m not sure one of Cena or Batista get as big as they do.

Wasn’t the story back in 2004 that The Rock actually really wanted to stay and re-sign but WWE “forgot” about his contract status or something and at that point, his agents were telling him he had to distance himself so WWE essentially pushed him away?

EDIT: something like that... it expired at the end of 2004 and WWE made no effort at all to re-sign him and Rock was hurt by it.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
He probably would have done some legacy matches. Wasn’t he pushing to do a Randy Savage match at WM21?

He definitely would have worked the lights of Shawn Michaels, I’m guessing, along with Batista, Cena earlier, Orton, etc.

If Rock stayed I’m not sure one of Cena or Batista get as big as they do.

Wasn’t the story back in 2004 that The Rock actually really wanted to stay and re-sign but WWE “forgot” about his contract status or something and at that point, his agents were telling him he had to distance himself so WWE essentially pushed him away?

EDIT: something like that... it expired at the end of 2004 and WWE made no effort at all to re-sign him and Rock was hurt by it.
It's an interesting scenario for sure. One not often mentioned. Would he even be facing Orton or Batista if he stuck around? If on Raw he might have squashed the Triple H reign of terror, and subsequently Evolution. But most likely he'd have been on SmackDown I think, which would also nix that.
I do bet that he'd have had the same match at Mania XX, whether interpromotional or not.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Rock was open to doing something with WWE in 2004, but from what I've seen WWE knew that the writing was on the wall with him and basically dumped Rock before he would inevitably dump WWE.

Rock and Michaels would have been interesting because by various accounts Rock did not want to work with Michaels for personal reasons. That is the feud I would want to see if Rock stayed.

The best part of Rock staying would be him blocking Cena from being on top of the company. I was always a big Rock fan (my fourth favourite ever I'd say) and I would be really curious to see what crowd reactions would have been like had he stayed for years on top. He didn't really get the unanimous reactions that Austin got. I think that the ideal scenario, from a fan of the Rock, would be him wrestling half the year and doing movies the other half of the year.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Not enough Mr Perfect in here. Hm:Steamboat..so underrated-his matches vs Flair were legendary.Verses Macho in WM 3 also.Instant classic by both.
I was going to add him to my list but it was already getting pretty long. Glad someone mentioned him. Amazing combination of strength, athleticism and technical ability. He had charisma too.

Reactions: mrmovies779

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

I didn't think it was that far back. I think they had him under a more open "special appearances" contract until a few years after that which expired without notice on WWE's part.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
To me it’s Taker. He just grabbed my attention as a kid and managed to keep a gimmick fun for years.
It may be sad and boring to see him now but he’s totally an immortal character for me. What wrestlers should be. (I mean he was good too in the ring)
The streak might be the most emotional matches For me. I cared and like him so much.
No one else has done that for me.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Mick Foley is my answer. He was never THE star, but he elevated SO many people. He legitimized Triple H as a main-event guy, he legitimized The Rock as a main-event guy as well. His stint as the commissioner helped Edge, Christian and Angle as characters. Helped elevate Edge when they feuded in 06. He made Whipwreck in ECW.

Best talker in the business (can do serious, can do comedy), most unique working style AND he could make ANYONE look like a million bucks.

Sure, he did not get the long title reigns and he is never sold as THE guy or even as one of the bigger legends, but, to me, he is the best ever at his craft. ALL of his characters were fleshed-out, VERY different and interesting. He could switch from one to the other seamlessly. He isn't Shawn Michales athletically, but he could give anyone a good match.

He did not draw as much as The Rock and Stone Cold, but he drew WITH them. Maybe I am overrating him by calling him the best ever, but, he certainly is the most UNDERRATED of all time.

His arc from 1998-1999 was incredible.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He legitimized Randy Orton too even though they couldn’t completely capitalize because of Randy’s own issues outside the ring and booking rushing him into a babyface.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Foley is very underrated I find. He often gets left out of discussions like this. The guy has quite the mind for wrestling. Once he gave Orton the rub though I found it was cheapened. The Edge match I thought at the time was completely unnecessary.

In another world we got the Ric Flair and Foley feud when they were both younger and without Melina.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Edge vs. Foley was amazing even if Edge should have walked into that Wrestlemania as WWE champion.

That match and their little tag team run after was incredible. The match againt Dreamer and Funk at One Night Stand 2006 still gives me goosebumps. Edge went from that to costing Cena the belt during the same night. Sprinkling some Foley dust on him did elevate him a lot.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
it may sound like it, but I mean this out of respect and not to knock Foley down.

he's the GOAT in terms of being the guy you want to work with "the" guy

the man is forever over and could get basically anyone over as a main eventer as well

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
it may sound like it, but I mean this out of respect and not to knock Foley down.

he's the GOAT in terms of being the guy you want to work with "the" guy

the man is forever over and could get basically anyone over as a main eventer as well

Isn't it the most important thing in wrestling though? Getting THE guy over? If you are the person that can make that happen for pretty much ANYBODY and have done with for MULTIPLE very different performers, that says a lot about you, no?

That's precisely why he is my GOAT. He did the most important thing in wrestling for over 20 years and he did it the best.

I forgot that he also helped revigorate The Undertaker in 1996. Give him someone who COULD work to work with instead of boring big buy after boring big guy.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He legitimized Randy Orton too even though they couldn’t completely capitalize because of Randy’s own issues outside the ring and booking rushing him into a babyface.

I know I've said it countless times on here but his "spit in my face" promo with Orton during their "legend killer" feud is the greatest promo I've ever seen, and the reason why I said earlier that he's the best on the mic.

I still circle back and watch it every now and then. :laugh:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I don't think Foley's the best ever, despite his valuable contribution of getting people over.

I will say the reason I still can't stand Triple H is privately (it is said) he's dismissive of the guy. He should get up every morning thanking Mick Foley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad