Who's had the best season since the 04-05 lockout?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
EK's year isn't even the best year by a purely offensive dman since the lockout. Mike Green's was more impressive from an impartial standpoint.

From a strictly offensive standpoint, Karlsson was more impressive as he led his team in scoring.

In terms of overall impact on their teams, it's Karlsson, Lidstrom then Green.

penguins2946*

Would you like me to post ever single post I have posted that had nothing to do with Jagr or Crosby? There are quite a few....

Can you post a single post from Ageless that has nothing to do with Crosby?

It was obviously hyperbole. A large majority of your posts are about Jagr or Crosby. You're a hypocrite if you call out Ageless for being a Crosby fanboy when you literally do the exact same thing with Jagr. For some reason, you can't grasp that concept.

And again, I'm not saying Ageless isn't a Crosby fanboy. Ageless's status regarding Crosby is completely irrelevant to you being a massive fanboy of Jagr and calling out other people for being fanboys of another player.

None of what I said in here is subjective. BTW if you look at more than just scoring numbers but also team strength and linemates, you would see that Jagr had no one close to the caliber of a James Neal in 2005-06. He turned Petr Prucha into a 30 goals scorer for God's sake.

You're acting like Neal is some Hossa-lite winger or something, he's really not. He's really not much different than Prucha, both got inflated goal totals from playing with a superstar. Acting like Jagr turned Prucha into a 30 goal scorer while acting like Neal is some elite winger is just further showing how you use a double standard while arguing Jagr. Neal is around a 30 goal, 55 point winger without Malkin. Nylander probably helped Jagr in 05-06 out more than Neal helped out Malkin in 11-12.

Also Malkin had one of the best two-way centers playing behind him in the lineup in 2011-12 (Staal). Jagr's Rangers were an array of journey men and players way past their prime.

How is that even remotely relevant? Staal almost never played with Malkin. He never played on the top PP with him (top PP without Crosby was Kunitz, Malkin, Neal, Sullivan and Letang), he never killed penalties with him and he never played at ES with him (Malkin's most common linemates were Kunitz, Neal and Sullivan). You can't even use the "Staal got the better D so Malkin had an easier time" like you could use if Crosby was healthy. That's like saying that Jagr was somehow worse because he had Lundqvist on his team.

BTW you picked Thornton's 2005-06 season but left out Jagr's. Can I ask you why? Last time I checked, scoring 54 goals is far more impressive than scoring 29 goals.

96 assists in a season where no one else hit 80 assists is more impressive than 54 goals where 5 people hit 50 goals.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Id rank them as

Ovechkin 65 + 47 112
Thornton 29 + 96 125
Crosby 36 + 84 120

And honorable mentions to Crosbys 32 + 34 66 on pace for 64 + 68 132

nwaZ*

You're acting like Neal is some Hossa-lite winger or something, he's really not. He's really not much different than Prucha, both got inflated goal totals from playing with a superstar. Acting like Jagr turned Prucha into a 30 goal scorer while acting like Neal is some elite winger is just further showing how you use a double standard while arguing Jagr. Neal is around a 30 goal, 55 point winger without Malkin. Nylander probably helped Jagr in 05-06 out more than Neal helped out Malkin in 11-12.

Nylander had his career years with Jagr, and I remember him raving about how great of a chemistry he had with him in Swedish media. Which was true, they fit together very well.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
From a strictly offensive standpoint, Karlsson was more impressive as he led his team in scoring.

In terms of overall impact on their teams, it's Karlsson, Lidstrom then Green.

Green had more points then Karlsson in 14 less games and had 11 more goals.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It's easy to chose the guy with the highest point totals, and that may be it (Thornton had 125 pts in 05-06), but I am wondering if anyone has beat Ovechkin's 07-08 where he scored 65 goals + 47 assists to a total of 112 pts.

What do you think?

Datsyuk, 2007-2008.

31 goals and 66 assists, just 3 points shy of 100. +41 in the process. He was a beast in the playoffs as well. Won the Selke, as well as the Lady Byng. Led the league in +/-.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Liar.

Karlsson ended his season with 78 pts.

Oh I misread. Lying implies that I intentionally attempted to deceive you btw, I can assure you that is not the case. That would be a pretty stupid thing to lie about as well, as anyone such as yourself can just look at the stats. So please refrain from the petty name calling next time.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Rangers played in the easier conference but they were also overall a much weaker team than the Sharks were.

That 2005-06 Rangers team was supposed to contend for a lottery pick and were picked by a few pundits to finish 30th overall. Although Lundqvist played a role, it was Jagr's play and how he dominated that helped the Rangers be as good as they were that season.

Getting 96 assists is great and all but it also means that you had to have players that were good enough to scorers to convert those passes into goals.

Jagr's goal edge (54 goals) to Thornton's (29 goals) should have been enough to swing the Hart vote towards Jagr but then again we all know that the Nationality of each player had something to do with the final result.

Another thing to consider is that Jagr was the only player that season that finished top 3 in both goals and assists, his 69 assists being a phenomenal accomplishment on its own as the Rangers had one other 30 goal scorer (rookie Prucha got 30 exactly) while the Sharks had 2 players who scored 30 + goals and Thornton finished 3rd on his team in goals.

The Sharks had 3 players in the top 20 in scoring while Jagr was the only Ranger to feature in the top 20 and Nylander was the closest at # 30.

Jagr won his team's scoring title by 44 Pts, Thornton won his by 32. Jagr led his team in every single major offensive category.

No one was more valauble to his team than Jagr was that season and last time I checked, the Hart trophy went to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team.

The fact that a player who played in San Jose won the award over a player who played in New York should eliminate the idea that any sort of "bias" was the reason for the win. Thornton completely turned that team around in a way that hasn't been done very often, but honestly, the MVP vote was a freakin coin flip that season. Jagr was amazing in his own right.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
does anyone remember the reaction to jagr's ridiculous season at the time?

he definitely still had the "coach killer" label at the time and was just coming off that forgettable tenure with the caps. i forget what the reaction was because the season he had was obviously not expected at all and that season really was the start of restoring his reputation with the fans

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Thornton in 2005-2006.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't players that get traded start off hot and then as the adrenaline wears off usually have a rough stretch with the new players.

The fact he led the league with 125 pts despite the fact he was traded is amazing.

Ovechkin in 2007-2008 is second.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
In terms of goal-scoring, Ovechkin's season is right up there among the best ever. Could be better than Lemieux/Gretzky ever did.

How well does Thornton's big playmaking year compare to other greats? I would certainly leave out Gretzky from the comparison since nobody is that good.

HOLDITHERE*

Ovechkin trumps everything post lockout, and it's by a huge ****ing margin. Thorton would be a solid second, and maybe Crosby at #3.

As mentioned, that 08 season is among the greatest of all time for a single player. The same cannot be said for the other nominees.

But Voracek > Ovechkin, right?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't know, Lundqvist was pretty darn impressive in 2011-12 and was playing in front of a defensive unit that didn't have Chara or any defensive forward close to Bergeron's level.

Forget about best season since the lockout, Lundqvist wasn't even the best goalie in 11/12. He and Quick were pretty much even in the regular season, but the playoffs give the tiebreaker to Quick.

Relative to their peers its:
  1. 10/11 Thomas
  2. 11/12 Quick
  3. 11/12 Lundqvist

If we ignore the competition each year and simply go by the numbers then its easily 11/12 Quick, for goalies at least.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Tim Thomas' 2010/11 has to be the most underrated individual season ever.

I take anything from 2005/06 and to some extent 2006/07 with a grain of salt due to the rule changes having a big impact on the offense before the numbers came back down.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Ovechkin scoring 65 goals in 07-08 season. Keep in mind that the 95-96 season was the last time a player had scored at least 60 goals before this, and Stamkos is the only one to accomplish this since when he scored 60 in the 11-12 season.

NutCracker

Aug 9, 2008
It's OV hands down. Coming from a Pens fan.

Crosby might not even be top3, at least IMO. Malkin has had couple impressive seasons also so he might be #2 and #3.

05-06 season was too abnormal so I'm not counting those as impressive

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Forget about best season since the lockout, Lundqvist wasn't even the best goalie in 11/12. He and Quick were pretty much even in the regular season, but the playoffs give the tiebreaker to Quick.

Relative to their peers its:
  1. 10/11 Thomas
  2. 11/12 Quick
  3. 11/12 Lundqvist

If we ignore the competition each year and simply go by the numbers then its easily 11/12 Quick, for goalies at least.

^Amazing goalies playing incredibly well. Worth noting that 2006/7 saw two goalies nominated for the Hart (one also for the LBP trophy).

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Homer vote, but Corey Perrys finish to the 2010-11 season was simply beast-like. In the last 16 games he scored 19 goals and had 11 assists. His average TOI was almost 25 mins a game. In the final two back-to-backs vs the Kings he had a TOI of 28:38 and 29:27.

He doesn't reach Ovie, Stamkos and Crosby in terms of totals, but that last quarter of the season was absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad