Speculation: Who's getting bought out?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I doubt that there will be many buyouts. Internal budget teams won't create dead budget money and then have to turn around and add more to replace that player. In a lot of instances, there is very little relief either.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
For the Rangers, probably Lundqvist, unless he decides to retire or they can somehow trade him at 50%. Staal and Smith are also possibilities, the former more so than the latter.
NYR wont buy out any of those players.

1 year left on all contracts. Would be stupid to buy them out

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
NYR wont buy out any of those players.

1 year left on all contracts. Would be stupid to buy them out

We don't have enough cap space to sign all of our RFAs, so unless one of Strome/ADA gets traded with less cap coming back, someone is getting bought out.

We have 3 goalies. At least one has to go. Maybe Georgiev gets traded and Hank stays, but I doubt it. Both Carp and Brooks think Hank has played his last game as a Ranger.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers fans hope for Marc Staal. one more year is too many for Rangers fans especially since the last 4 years has been ECHL level of hockey for Staal. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If the Preds bought out anyone it would be Turris, but I don't think they will.
Agreed. I would have said exactly 0% chance... pre-Covid. They wouldn't have taken an 8-year cap penalty and a $16M total payout. Because even if there was no trade market this year, they could always hope that one materializes next year, or the year after, and be looking at only paying $6M or $12M, with no extended penalty.

But Covid is the wild card. Maybe there is some unfactored financial scenario where the simple up-front savings of $4M this year is enough to change things. I can't imagine things are that bad, but who knows.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The buy-out window is now open. (Sept 25-oct 8)
Some GMs buy out players early in the window to give the player extra time to sign elsewhere.
I’m expecting Benning to buy-out two of his toxic mistakes: Baertschi and Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad