Whom will the Las Vegas Golden Knights take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Im wondering how many teams McPhee played like a fiddle.

Unless McPhee thought that conversation was off-the-record, that's a jerk move on McPhee's part.

Though it does confirm the "WTH" several of us were thinking regarding the need to toss in a 2nd Round pick.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils inquire about Emelin. Defense is so soft.

The whole team is too soft. Part of why we stunk last year was that other teams had so much time and space to work with because they knew any type of physical pressure wasn't coming their way.

The Devils lost a 1st round pick for a Kovalchuk contract, but somehow "trading" a retired player's contract is totes cool. :rant:

Now that we have hindsight in our favor, it almost makes you wonder if the penalties we received were in result of something that happened between Vanderbeek and Bettman/the league not related and prior to the deal and that was the punishment for whatever it was that happened. As soon as new ownership came in Lou went right to work with new ownership and within 6 months we had our pick back because new ownership was in place and the case was made that they shouldn't have to suffer from prior misdoings.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kovalchuk's contract contained 6 absolutely fake years at minimum salary while the rest of the back-diving contracts contained a combined total of 3 years - that's the reason the Devils received circumvention penalties.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Now that we have hindsight in our favor, it almost makes you wonder if the penalties we received were in result of something that happened between Vanderbeek and Bettman/the league not related and prior to the deal and that was the punishment for whatever it was that happened. As soon as new ownership came in Lou went right to work with new ownership and within 6 months we had our pick back because new ownership was in place and the case was made that they shouldn't have to suffer from prior misdoings.

To a degree I think it was the league 'getting us back' for feeling we pulled a fast one on them with Malakhov/Mogilny just after the lockout. And perhaps part of the reason we got a pick back was the player was no longer there.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The whole team is too soft. Part of why we stunk last year was that other teams had so much time and space to work with because they knew any type of physical pressure wasn't coming their way.

Well, that and not being able to get the puck out with any sort of control. The problem with a guy like Emelin is that he's not very good at much beyond hitting.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
To a degree I think it was the league 'getting us back' for feeling we pulled a fast one on them with Malakhov/Mogilny just after the lockout. And perhaps part of the reason we got a pick back was the player was no longer there.

6 years after the fact, you think so? Could be, who knows. It also could have just unfortunately been us that they wanted to make an example of with these types of contracts. Vanderbeek was also "weak" so to say financially at the time and being that we also know in hindsight that the league did help us a bit in that regard, maybe we were advised not to go that route of a contract and we still did despite our financial situation. Maybe they also felt that our financial weakness and help they gave us was something they could take advantage of versus financially sound ownership of other teams giving out these deals?

No matter which way though, it to this day was BS on the league's part.

Well, that and not being able to get the puck out with any sort of control. The problem with a guy like Emelin is that he's not very good at much beyond hitting.

Yep and we have our guy in Prout who can not be good at much else beyond hitting :laugh:.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Kovalchuk's contract contained 6 absolutely fake years at minimum salary while the rest of the back-diving contracts contained a combined total of 3 years - that's the reason the Devils received circumvention penalties.

There were many other obvious salary cap circumvention contracts prior to the Kovalchuk contract - lots of them.

Take a look at the Pronger contract, especially given Pronger's age, he signed a SEVEN year deal at the age of 35 for a whopping $35M. And if that's not bad enough, just for kicks, something like $5M or $6M of it IIRC was a "signing bonus". LOL. It was completely ridiculous.

But yet, all of a sudden it's the Devils who lose a 1st Round pick.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The league was like "We'll look the other way as long as you don't get too ridiculous with these." for other teams and then with us they were like "Okay, that's too far. We can't look the other way on this one." and basically made an example of us.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who won the Jack Adams? If frickin Hiney Head got another vote this year, I might have a mysterious case of food poisoning when I wake up in the morning.

Looks like Torts won. I figured Babcock would swoop in and take it after the Leafs made the playoffs. Torts seemed to have it locked up for most of the year, but Toronto wasn't in a playoff spot for most of the season.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why does Garth have a job anymore?

It was a completely suspect hiring from the start. Right after that Neil Smith situation and whatever happened there. After years of Milbury, I couldn't understand that hiring back in 2006 for the life of me. A player that was fresh off the ice and still playing a few months before and with no front office experience and bam! There's your new GM.

And here we are in 2017, Garth Snow is currently the fourth longest tenured GM in the NHL. He's missed the playoffs as a GM more times than he's made it, for having that job all these years. I remember being surprised when he made it into the turn of the decade as their GM still. I figured he was almost certainly gonna be fired back in 2010 or 2011.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm starting to believe that rumor that Garth was given a 10 year contract from his buddy Wang when he stepped back.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
After seeing how the expansion draft turned out I don't think there was ever any chance that they were taking Cammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad