Speculation: Who would you.....

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
first round pick in 2014 and Kevin Poulin.

And that's it, nothing more. Remember he's 33 years old.

That and the fact that I don't believe he will be the final missing piece as well. To go bonkers and give up some of the future to get him here now might not be worth the paying price.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Miller's a UFA after this season with a hefty contract.

Very unlikely move but I agree with MattMartin if there's any chance. (combo of pick(s), Poulin/Nilsson and D prospect not named Reinhart/Pulock)

Buffalo may get desperate and not want to lose him for nothing.

I think there will be better options for us come trade deadline though.

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
He's a rental on the wrong side of 30. 3rd rounder. Maybe a 2nd. Toss in some prospect with no stock, like Ness.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
first round pick in 2014 and Kevin Poulin.

And that's it, nothing more. Remember he's 33 years old.

Wouldn't give up a first round pick, especially since there's no guarantee of making the playoffs and all non playoff picks are lottery eligible. That is a Mad Mike type of risk.

Snapshotgoal

Feb 17, 2013
Tampa FL
Wouldn't give up a first round pick, especially since there's no guarantee of making the playoffs and all non playoff picks are lottery eligible. That is a Mad Mike type of risk.

Why not give up a first? We have plenty of stock, the rebuild is over and time to get valuable free agents and push deep into the playoffs.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Why not give up a first? We have plenty of stock, the rebuild is over and time to get valuable free agents and push deep into the playoffs.

Unless the pick is lottery protected its insane to trade it. Under the present rules if you miss the playoffs and win the lottery you get the first pick in the draft.

Would you trade Reinhardt, Strome or Pulock for potentially one year of Miller? That would be disastrous asset management.

In order to trade a first round pick in this scenario, it has to be lottery protected and Miller has to be signed. Otherwise role the dice and sign either him or Hiller in the offseason.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

How exactly is the rebuild over? Because we have prospects ?

Valuable free agents rarely have the impact teams hope for. I can name names if you like.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Ryan Miller's last three years:
2012-13 - sv% .915 - gaa 2.81 - so 6 - rank 19/34
2011-12 - sv% .916 - gaa 2.55 - so 0 - rank 20/22
2010-11 - sv% .916 - gaa 2.59 - so 0 - rank 17/22

Forget about this year. He is playing behind the worst team in the league, but interesting because I hadn't realized that he slipped that much. I thought his numbers, despite Buffalo's woes, were in the teens in ranking. And importantly, he is 33 years old.

Step 1 - Ask to speak with him and get a gentleman's agreement for a signed contract ahead of time. If that is all a go, then go to step 2. If not, I offer a 3rd round pick for him because we don't want or need any more Ryan Smyth scenarios.

Step 2 - This is harder. If his name was Ernie Pots with those numbers above and his age I wouldn't get carried away. A 2nd & 3rd rounder. But he is Miller, and his experience and known older ceiling counts for something... A 1st assuming it is in the teens or 20s this year would probably be the prudent offer, but I would much have preferred to have given that up for Schneider. I want to offer more simply because it is Miller, but like I said, call him someone else and with those numbers not so much.

IMO, we could get Hiller for less with similar stats over the past three years, and he is only 31.

patrick

Feb 10, 2012
Won't be popular here but I'd give them Cizikas and a conditional pick if he re-signs.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Who would we be willing to part with if Garth made a play at Ryan Miller?

Let's speculate, GO!

Unless Snow and Miller's rep have hammered out a multi yr extension beforehand, then I don't want to give uo any quality prospects or the 1st/2nd round pick.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Second round pick and a B prospect.
No only is he 33 already but also a FA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad