Who would YOU trade for forward help.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Things are starting to heat up with trade talks and playoff hopes looming. We have a lot of different opinions on this subject, so I elected to make a poll. Who would you personally trade, not what you think will Francis will do, to get forward help. These results have been different a week ago, but lets see how it turns out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, realistically, I'd try to build a package around Fleury, but if other teams aren't willing to bite on that then we stay the course and maybe take a look at moving a pick for a guy like Vrbata or Seidenberg as a rental instead.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i dont care to rent this year

as exciting as this team is, even if it makes the playoffs its not a cup team

so no need to mortgage anything

just stay the course unless a deal comes about thats a) too good to pass up, b) a deal with longer term ramifications (non-rental), or c) both

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In addition to having good prospect depth, the Canes have an extra 2nd (E. Staal) and 3rd (Ruutu) in the draft. They could afford to make a modest add without it having a noticeable impact on the future.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd rather give up Fleury or Bean for someone like Nyquist/Tatar than Hanifin for Duchene.

I've started zeroing in on Hanifin. He makes a ton of great plays both offensively and defensively but far too often he makes a stupid pass that leads to a turnover or chips it to the wrong spot. Just hope it's part of the development curve rather than a more severe lack of awareness at NHL speed. An elite tools but sub-par toolbox situation.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I voted Ron Hainsey because he's 35 years old and has never been to a playoff game. If we miss the playoffs and he's still on this team, it is his fault.

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
I still believe that we are one Duchene/Landeskog away from seriously contending. Not like "Make the playoffs and get bounced in 5" type of contending, but contending for a deep playoff run. There already isn't a team in this league who I don't think we are capable of beating (even if it isn't probable). We have the depth forwards, elite defence, steady goaltending (knock on wood) and even prospect pipeline to match anybody, and are pretty much just missing that top-end firepower that a Duchene would bring.

Of course a package of Fleury + would be ideal from our end, but I doubt the Avs bite. I think we all know what they really want from us

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If we could acquire a young scoring winger for Bean or Fleury I'd do it. Not sure I want to trade any of the guys on our roster. So nice to have talented young defensemen it would be hard to see them go at this point. Who knows? Maybe Raleigh will become a better looking destination for free agents now that the team is headed in the right direction?

I'd look to add someone like Vrbata and a backup goalie. That's all.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
i dont care to rent this year

as exciting as this team is, even if it makes the playoffs its not a cup team

so no need to mortgage anything

just stay the course unless a deal comes about thats a) too good to pass up, b) a deal with longer term ramifications (non-rental), or c) both

Playoffs is important to this team right now, IMO. Even a hard-fought first-round exit could be a very important growing step. If you recall the 2001 playoff series the Canes had against the Devils that was a game-changer and led to a Cup finals team the next season.

Of course I would rather stand pat and make the playoffs anyway, but I think if the right player comes available to have to take a shot.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm not sure there's much of a rental out there that I'd really want that I would waste draft picks on. I said the other day, and I'm sticking with it. Regardless of what we trade, and I'm open to a lot of possibilities from our end, I want a player or players that will help this year and for years to come.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can you only vote 1?

I would not trade Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin or Faulk.
I would easily trade Carrick or Murphy without a second guess.
I would trade McKeown, Fleury or Bean, but the deal would have to be very good.
Hainsey? it depends. If the Canes are in the playoff hunt, I'd keep him, without question. If they are out of it, then I'd trade him. I'm not a huge Hainsey fan, but he's likely better than anyone we have that can take his place.
Draft picks? Depends on what picks and for who.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
In various threads, there seems to be a lot of just stay the course, or who do we sit or trade with the team/particular players playing so well. I'm not necessarily advocating to make an Avs forward type trade, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, we're still a big time work in progress on the road. So if the big trade out there can improve us on the road, it might be worth it. With that in mind, our home record is great, and our play at home is pretty great, but it's not likely to continue at quite this level. That makes that improvement on the road even more important. Francis has some big time decisions ahead, even if that decision is to do nothing and hope things keep improving.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
no Eddie Lack option? :dunno:

Or did he just have a bad start? Just needs to get healthy again?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Would still trade Lacko, but we need a better option then him first. That's not Leighton... or at least Leighton's not a good enough better option to give Cam some needed rest.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If we trade him, there would have to be another piece involved. The other piece would be one of the Dmen/draft picks listed.

I haven't gave up on him yet believing it's health issues at the moment. I just didn't know the overall opinions on him here really, I'm sure they are mixed.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
In terms of major moves/pieces, I would stay the course and see how this group plays out the season. Somebody like Murphy can go bye-bye though.

I really want Eddie to be good. I really, really do. But it's not happening right now.

I really feel for the guy. Plus, I'm mortified that we're going to run Wardo into the ground, just like old times.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
How hard could it be to swing a decent backup? I know they don't grow on trees but there's only 30 starting gigs and 30 backup gigs out there- are there only 60 NHL quality goalies in the world? I don't know goalie seems like it's as much voodoo magic as it is a skill sometimes

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
My pipe dream: we sneak into the playoffs, Cam gets shelled, Eddie steps in a la '02 Weekes / '06 Ward and singlehandedly wins us a playoff round or two.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Playoffs is important to this team right now, IMO. Even a hard-fought first-round exit could be a very important growing step. If you recall the 2001 playoff series the Canes had against the Devils that was a game-changer and led to a Cup finals team the next season.

Of course I would rather stand pat and make the playoffs anyway, but I think if the right player comes available to have to take a shot.

The team could definitely use a combo breaker on the failed season front.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It'd be nice to see what Eddie can do a bit during a time when he's healthy and the team is playing well. There haven't been a ton of those instances. If that doesn't happen, we'll have to move him or buy him out in the offseason, or sooner.

Eberle Is Edmonton13

Mar 11, 2012
Can you only vote 1?

I would not trade Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin or Faulk.
I would easily trade Carrick or Murphy without a second guess.
I would trade McKeown, Fleury or Bean, but the deal would have to be very good.
Hainsey? it depends. If the Canes are in the playoff hunt, I'd keep him, without question. If they are out of it, then I'd trade him. I'm not a huge Hainsey fan, but he's likely better than anyone we have that can take his place.
Draft picks? Depends on what picks and for who.

Mind giving an opinion on how Pesce and Murphy have done this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad