Who would you take at their best: Coffey,Bourque or Potvin?

Who would you take at their best?

• Total voters

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I feel like Coffey's time in Detroit & Philly was a bit underwhelming (32-36 for a defenceman isn't that old at all).

Bourque was a force every year he was in the league. Great offensively obviously. Very darn good defensively too.

To me Potvin wins this poll. He was the leader on those Isles teams. He excelled at everything he did. He was also physical and nasty when he had to be.

So in summary:

1. Potvin
2. Bourque
3. Coffey

Paul Coffey won a Norris in his 33 year old season and was 5th the year after. Potvin didn’t even play past 34.

Not that any of what you said has to do with peak.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I didn't realize that Potvin drafted and developed Bossy, Goring, Trottier, etc. Bourque only got Neely. Bourque should have drafted and developed better.

The year before Bourque joined the Bruins they were a 100 point team that lost in the semi finals taking the eventual NHL SC champ Habs to 7 games.

Potvin on the other hand joined the NYI and their measly 30 points the year before and was the catalyst for the growth of the NYI, leading the team in scoring in 4 of his first 5 years in the NHL, including his rookie year.

In fact he led the NYI in points in his first 4 seasons (including 2 with Trottier) and was 2nd in points in his 5th season, ahead of Mike Bossy all while providing elite defense as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad