Who would you rather lose to Vegas?

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I really like them both. I feel like Grubauer is the better player at his position AND has a much higher ceiling than Schmidt AND will be the one that--sooner or later (and in hindsight)--many of us will regret losing more. Buuut as far as organizational needs and depth charts go, it *might* make more sense to hope that Schmidt stays?

I guess the silver lining for me is that I'd like to have a genuine rooting interest in the new expansion team. And--as far as the Knights picking up Caps players goes--I'll be more invested in watching a Golden Knights team with Grubby battling Fluery for the starting position in net than I would be in watching that team with Schmidt playing on the third defensive pairing instead.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hate to lose either, but that's how the expansion draft goes. Each and every team is going to lose someone they would prefer to keep (or have to pay Vegas to take someone else). Looking around the league, the Caps are relatively well off in terms of who they're exposing compared to some other franchises.

I voted Grubauer because he'd have less impact upon the immediate team construction if lost. However, he'd also command more trade value than Schmidt, so I could be happy if they lose Schmidt and then manage to flip Grubauer into some valuable assets.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Grubby and it's a no brainer.

If we didn't give him a start this playoffs, we likely never will as long as Holts remains in our long term plans.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If I had to chose between the two I'd vote for Grubs. But I voted for someone else. I would rather lose a Eller, Connolly, Winnik guy.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lars Eller, Jay Beagle, Daniel Winnik or any other fringe guys they could even consider rather than Grubauer or Schmidt.

Tough choice between Grubauer and Schmidt to be honest. Grubauer could bring back serious value in a trade, or continue to be that excellent backup which is pretty much essential to this team for making the Playoffs after this season. Schmidt is a great bottom-pairing D at worst, and is the kind of new-era D that NHL is heading towards. He could be a good top-4 D, but the jury is out on that for now. Either way we should know more in a year because no matter what team he plays in, his role is going to be a bigger one.

Tough choice between Grubauer and Schmidt. I would gladly let them take Eller instead.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Don't think exposing Eller would be enough. I'd rather let them take Wilson over Schmidt or Grubauer. We need Schmidt and Grubauer has much more value than Wilson.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They have to expose two forwards who are under contract for 2017-18 and played in 40 games last season (or 70 games over the past two seasons). Functionally that means (unless they come to a quick contract with Connolly) that two of Eller, Beagle, or Wilson will be exposed.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
They have to expose two forwards who are under contract for 2017-18 and played in 40 games last season (or 70 games over the past two seasons). Functionally that means (unless they come to a quick contract with Connolly) that two of Eller, Beagle, or Wilson will be exposed.

Kind of a no-brainer to protect Wilson if that ends up being the case, but it doesn't really matter, right? They'd be bonkers to take any of those guys over Schmidt or Grubauer, no?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

so... Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Johansson, Oshie/Connolly, Beagle/Eller/Wilson.

Kind of a no-brainer to protect Wilson if that ends up being the case, but it doesn't really matter, right? They'd be bonkers to take any of those guys over Schmidt or Grubauer, no?

that's why I want to expose Wilson, on the off chance they take him. They definitely won't take Beagle and Eller though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad