Who would win a 7 game playoff series, Toronto or Boston?

Who would win a 7 game playoff series?

• Toronto would win the series

Votes: 267 33.5%
  • Boston would win the series

Votes: 531 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Honestly I think it's obvious Toronto is the more talented team, but if Boston is in their heads I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose again.

With that said I'd lean Toronto with the addition of Tavares. Dude is simply unbelievable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm afraid of Bostons secondary scoring.

If they can add to that they'll be a tough team.

Mar 14, 2011
Everyone was so confident last year also Toronto would win, so I don't think it has changed.
Not really, I remember the TO media and even many in the Leafs section of these forum fearing a Boston matchup more than a Tampa matchup, of course, there are also those who were confident about the Leafs' chances considering the Leafs were like 7-1 against the Bruins going back to the 2016 season, but in general everyone though it would be a hard fought series.
Who will the Maple Leafs play in the first round?
A poll from last year, the Leafs were a definitely slight underdog coming into the series last year, this year is different story however, the Leafs young guns + Rielly (well except for Nylander for now) took the next step in their development and JT is a huge addition.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dont act like Boston didn't also have injuries (including the same Bergeron missing a game).
We can say injuries evened out if you like but it still went 7. Considering the age of our team and the add of Tavares it would be reasonable to expect improvement from this group.

Look Boston is a great team, I fear and respect them. But we are a young team still learning to win in the playoffs. May not happen this year but as our kids mature our chances of playoff success get better.

It is fair to say Boston could beat us, history is on their side, but it is not fair to assume this group cannot be better than last year if healthy. Time will tell but the numbers suggest we are a better team than last year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
At least they've been past the 1st round in the last 5 years.

And that did great things for the franchise!

People need to get over the first round thing now, the way the playoff format is now, you’re getting semi finals and conference finals match ups in the first two rounds.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
X66 said:
People need to get over the first round thing now, the way the playoff format is now, you’re getting semi finals and conference finals match ups in the first two rounds.

You have to win in the first round to get to the second round.

If these multiple Cups are going to happen, that first round thing is important.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Toronto, Boston BARELY won it with Toronto's ECHL tier goaltending for 1/2 the series, Babcock's Jr C tier coaching decisions, Naz's goof, Nylander and Matthews' disappearance, Gardiner's goofs and Rielly's meh series.

Boston did NOT get better and the Leafs added JT, Rielly has taken A MASSIVE step forward, Andersen looks even better this year, Bab's lost his plug toys and Mitch and Auston look even better this year.

The fact that Boston is winning says something about the delusions of this website.

There is no serious argument for them winning that is based on anything apart from past data that has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT TEAMS.

I guess Boston can win IF:
1.Their first line plays lights out
2.Rask plays his mind out
3.Naz gets suspended again
4.Leafs trade for Komarov and put him on the first line instead of Kapanen
5.Auston and Willie disappear again
6.JT disappears as well considering we almost beat Boston WITHOUT him
7.Rielly regresses badly in the playoffs
8.Gardiner returns to his previous season's goof form
9.Andersen plays awful for half the series again

So yeah, I guess Boston can win if those 9 things go well for them, if someone wants to tell me the odds of those things, feel free.

Thats a ridiculous stance tbh.

I mean i voted leafs because i think theyll win but thats not how playoffs work lol.

Both teams are great teams and rather close. Boston gets an edge in experience too.

Playoffs are won based on who plays better for that 4-7 game stretch. Not based on who u think has the better roster on paper or who u feel made more improvements etc.

Its a 50/50 almost based on how close the 2 teams are

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Boston: better goaltending, better defense and better overall leadership (Bergeron,Marchand,Chara,Krejci,Rask)
Toronto does not have a single player in their roster of that caliber, what comes to leadership, especially for a tight play-off series.

Reactions: Snowman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Boston: better goaltending, better defense and better overall leadership (Bergeron,Marchand,Chara,Krejci,Rask)
Toronto does not have a single player in their roster of that caliber, what comes to leadership, especially for a tight play-off series.

Playoff series are always their own little storylines.

Weird players can end up playing massive roles.

On paper, the Leafs are certainly looking stronger.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You have to win in the first round to get to the second round.

If these multiple Cups are going to happen, that first round thing is important.

Sure, but first round thing is very overblown.

First year they lost to the president trophy winners, 2nd year they lost a coin-flip series to another elite team.

A bit odd that teams with 105+ points start on the road as well, but that's the format, home-ice would be huge for the Leafs to grab this time around.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
We can say injuries evened out if you like but it still went 7. Considering the age of our team and the add of Tavares it would be reasonable to expect improvement from this group.

Look Boston is a great team, I fear and respect them. But we are a young team still learning to win in the playoffs. May not happen this year but as our kids mature our chances of playoff success get better.

It is fair to say Boston could beat us, history is on their side, but it is not fair to assume this group cannot be better than last year if healthy. Time will tell but the numbers suggest we are a better team than last year.

No, you really cant say injuires were even.

Boston was missing a top 4D the entire series and their best player for a whole game.

Toronto had Matthews playing a little banged up (allegedly, haven't actually seen a report on this).

Really not the same at all.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No, you really cant say injuires were even.

Boston was missing a top 4D the entire series and their best player for a whole game.

Toronto had Matthews playing a little banged up (allegedly, haven't actually seen a report on this).

Really not the same at all.
Kadri?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Honestly I think it's obvious Toronto is the more talented team, but if Boston is in their heads I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose again.

With that said I'd lean Toronto with the addition of Tavares. Dude is simply unbelievable.

Maybe just for forwards. Leafs lack any type of of depth outside of scoring

Boston's defense is far more talented

Also Boston's top line arguably better than the leafs'

Last edited:

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Hoo boy, for the sake of the mental health of the Leafs fans and the mods, if Toronto does face Boston, they better win this time, because you know they'll be ribbed mercilessly non-stop if they lose to Boston again, deserved or not. I think that this year they'll make it, but it's definitely not a given. Boston is a damned good team and it's not like they fluked their way past Toronto the last 2 times.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Toronto vs Boston

If these two teams were to meet right now, with fully healthy rosters for a 7 game playoff series, who would win?
Well by game 2 Matthews would be injured again . Nylanders will have all but disappeared with his softness and that defense.
Hate the Bruins but playoffs is where your stars are suppose to shine and your defense comes to play. Bruins win.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad