VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Wickenheiser
James
Granato

.... must be in any top-10 convo.

They would be on my Mount Rushmore circa. 2002.

Botterill.
Ruggiero.

I avoid the NHL PR goalie...

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Kim Martin for sure. Had she been 5'10 she would have had a career in men's leagues. Technically excellent.

Maria Rooth needs to be there too. Lethal goalscorer with maybe the best collection of shots.

Denise Altmann should maybe be a candidate too. I always felt she was really skilled, but scored more points because she was sneaky and resourceful. Can't believe her totals, she never looked nearly as good a player as her results.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Poulin i dunno. It's the generation after i know so well.

Hefford!!!!!! I missed her... a mental block because i hated her guts.... (2 names on that top 10 list i dunno... probably cuz i stopped watching in '08).

1. Hayley Wickenheiser
2. Marie-Philip Poulin
3. Jayna Hefford
4. Riika Nieminen
5. Jenni Hiirikoski
6. Angela James
7. Angela Ruggiero
8. Jennifer Botterill
9. Caroline Ouellette
10. Noora Raty

HM. Danielle Goyette, Hilda Ranscombe, Molly Engstrom

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Poulin was a top 3 forward in both the 2010 and 2022 Olympics.

She was a three time MVP in the CWHL and arguably the best foward in three or four World Championships.

Even this year she was a top scorer in the PWHL.

She's been the de facto best forward since Wickenheiser got old.

Her biggest problem is she coasts half the season. But when it's an important game she's absolutely elite.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No one else mentioned Granato (the first on my trio off my lips, based on memory) ... sister and brother Tony, her here and he in the NHL, that family did great, basically American Sutter brother like...

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
We can add Hillary Knight

she continues to rewrite the history books. A year after breaking the record for most all-time goals at the women’s worlds, she surpassed Wickenheiser’s mark for most career points at the tournament. her career total to 89. Her awareness and strength on the ice continue to make her lethal in front of goal
Also if I was running the woman's league and wanted to use past players to help market the new league. Get pics of those old players in their uniforms even if they have to do it in a old timers game for female players. There is little to choose from

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, I'm going to give this a bump and ask a question to those who have some knowledge of the subject. Who would be the must have players on a list like this? You know, the ones that if they weren't there, the list would just be dismissed.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
granted I dont follow women's hockey nearly enough to effectively debate it, but as a casual observer I feel like you gotta have Amanda Kessel in the Top 10

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Where would Cassie Campbell rank? She's a big name here... but what she actually that good?
Not really.

She played three seasons in the NWHL (ages 25,26,30)

1999 - 28 points in 29 games. The best forward was Caroline Ouellette with 60 points in 27 games. There were only 8 teams and she finished outside the top 20 in points.
2000 - 35 points in 34 games. The league leaders were all around 50-60 points.

I don't have stats for 2004.

She was never named to any IIHF all-star team.

If you look at those late 90s Team Canada rosters, she mostly played as a second line winger.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, I'm going to give this a bump and ask a question to those who have some knowledge of the subject. Who would be the must have players on a list like this? You know, the ones that if they weren't there, the list would just be dismissed.

My top 15, in order (I haven't updated since Christmas)

1) Hayley Wickenheiser
2) Marie-Philip Poulin
3) Jayna Hefford
4) Riika Nieminen
5) Jenni Hiirikoski
6) Angela James
7) Angela Ruggiero
8) Jennifer Botterill
9) Caroline Ouellette
10) Noora Raty
11) Hilda Ranscombe
12) Danielle Goyette
13) Cammi Granato
14) Molly Engstrom
15) Hillary Knight

Other names floating around in the 15-30 range

Natalie Darwitz
Briana Decker
Geraldine Heaney
Charline Labonte
Monique Lamoureux
Dawn McGuire
Natalie Spooner
Kim St-Pierre
Shannon Szabados

Others too
Cindy Curley
Amanda Kessel
Albertine Lapensee
Sarah Tueting
Krissy Wendell-Pohl

There are other names too, but my top 15 should be names on everyone's top 25. And my 15-30 list should be fairly popular too. It's after that it can get tricky as you are picking depth players.

The 2023-24 PWHL season is still in swing, but Marie-Philip Poulin is the MVP in a fairly crowded field.

Caroline Harvey will skyrocket these lists. She's only 21 and is a top offensive player in World Championships, while playing defense.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
My top 15, in order (I haven't updated since Christmas)

1) Hayley Wickenheiser
2) Marie-Philip Poulin
3) Jayna Hefford
4) Riika Nieminen
5) Jenni Hiirikoski
6) Angela James
7) Angela Ruggiero
8) Jennifer Botterill
9) Caroline Ouellette
10) Noora Raty
11) Hilda Ranscombe
12) Danielle Goyette
13) Cammi Granato
14) Molly Engstrom
15) Hillary Knight

Other names floating around in the 15-30 range

Natalie Darwitz
Briana Decker
Geraldine Heaney
Charline Labonte
Monique Lamoureux
Dawn McGuire
Natalie Spooner
Kim St-Pierre
Shannon Szabados

Others too
Cindy Curley
Amanda Kessel
Albertine Lapensee
Sarah Tueting
Krissy Wendell-Pohl

There are other names too, but my top 15 should be names on everyone's top 25. And my 15-30 list should be fairly popular too. It's after that it can get tricky as you are picking depth players.

The 2023-24 PWHL season is still in swing, but Marie-Philip Poulin is the MVP in a fairly crowded field.

Caroline Harvey will skyrocket these lists. She's only 21 and is a top offensive player in World Championships, while playing defense.
Posts like this (I hope there are more to come) give those of us who don't know so much a good place to start researching. We've talked about doing a top 40. Would that involve a preliminary list of 50 or 60?

Either way, I could use as many names being tossed out as people care to bring up.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad