Who Would Make Switzerlands Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ah no. Directly above I said this would be the most competitive nhl player international tournament. Switzerland has some good players but still needs more depth realistically.
What you said about the Swiss team chance of winning a game ...

they get outshot 45-5 but win on a fluke 1-0

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Bichsel probably wouldnt quite make the roster this year but he could be a lock as early as next year. All in all the lineup from OP looks pretty good even though van Pottelberghe and the declining Genoni would probably be the Goaltenders after Schmid.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
This is the golden generation of Swiss hockey

Yes, and our NT coach has completely wasted its potential so far outside the silver medal at the WC in 2018. This group should at least have one gold medal if you look at wich teams won the World Championship in the last few years. And now with the Devils probably being a perennial playoff team in the next few years our window of opportunity might be closing as Josi, Nino and most of our best NL players are getting older.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bichsel probably wouldnt quite make the roster this year but he could be a lock as early as next year. All in all the lineup from OP looks pretty good even though van Pottelberghe and the declining Genoni would probably be the Goaltenders after Schmid.
Bichsel should absolutely make the team. The only defender better than him is Josi.

Also, Van Pottelberghe is better than Schmid. Maybe right now since Van Pottelberghe barely played and is fighting his way back from a terrible injury while Schmid is hot and standing on his head. Normally, Van Pottelberghe is still the better goalie though. Sadly, they're currently the only Swiss born goalies of international quality.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Missing Bischel

Is this the best Swiss team ever ?
I can’t imagine they’ve ever had a better team than this. The D alone without their best forwards would make it the best swiss team ever IMO.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
The team as a whole is certainly the best team ever but I think considering how the game has changed also in the NHL I think a prime Plüss or Jenni (when they played in SHL) could be valuable assets in nowadays NHL also a prime Streit with the Isles or Cereda it he had stayed healthy, so there are players I would prefer to some of the current ones

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The team as a whole is certainly the best team ever but I think considering how the game has changed also in the NHL I think a prime Plüss or Jenni (when they played in SHL) could be valuable assets in nowadays NHL also a prime Streit with the Isles or Cereda it he had stayed healthy, so there are players I would prefer to some of the current ones
Maybe even Ambuhl?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Bichsel should absolutely make the team. The only defender better than him is Josi.

Also, Van Pottelberghe is better than Schmid. Maybe right now since Van Pottelberghe barely played and is fighting his way back from a terrible injury while Schmid is hot and standing on his head. Normally, Van Pottelberghe is still the better goalie though. Sadly, they're currently the only Swiss born goalies of international quality.

I don't quite agree with this. Bichsel is still very raw, despite his talent. I don't think he would perform better than guys like Siegenthaler and Moser in a best on best format as of today. He has a history of defensive lapses, an issue that he has improved on a lot this season, but it was still noticeable once in a while in the games I saw of him. In a setting where most opponents have NHL All-Star teams at their disposal, this issue could be exploited to the max. I would probably still include him on the team, but only in a limited role on the third pairing. I am pretty sure the boy wonder wouldn't select him yet though, if everybody was healthy, wich is why I stated he probably wouldn't make the roster.

As for the goalies, I am not one to buy into the Schmid hype just yet. He will have to sustain this level play over several seasons to be actually considered a certified NHL starter. I even remember Berra having stretches like this for Colorado and not much came of it in the longterm. But in comparison JVP hasn't any international track record at all unless you are counting the Deutschland Cup. So you might assume he has international quality based on his play in the NLA regular season but he hasn't actually proven it yet on a higher level. At least Schmid has already shown that he can hold his own against NHL players when he is on his best.

In such tournaments its often a better strategy to give multiple goalies a chance and run with the hottest one anyway. But based on Schmids play in the NHL this season and especially lately he should be in the pole position in such a scenario, at least in my opinion.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

What about Fischer? :sarcasm:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I don't quite agree with this. Bichsel is still very raw, despite his talent. I don't think he would perform better than guys like Siegenthaler and Moser in a best on best format as of today. He has a history of defensive lapses, an issue that he has improved on a lot this season, but it was still noticeable once in a while in the games I saw of him. In a setting where most opponents have NHL All-Star teams at their disposal, this issue could be exploited to the max. I would probably still include him on the team, but only in a limited role on the third pairing. I am pretty sure the boy wonder wouldn't select him yet though, if everybody was healthy, wich is why I stated he probably wouldn't make the roster.

As for the goalies, I am not one to buy into the Schmid hype just yet. He will have to sustain this level play over several seasons to be actually considered a certified NHL starter. I even remember Berra having stretches like this for Colorado and not much came of it in the longterm. But in comparison JVP hasn't any international track record at all unless you are counting the Deutschland Cup. So you might assume he has international quality based on his play in the NLA regular season but he hasn't actually proven it yet on a higher level. At least Schmid has already shown that he can hold his own against NHL players when he is on his best.

In such tournaments its often a better strategy to give multiple goalies a chance and run with the hottest one anyway. But based on Schmids play in the NHL this season and especially lately he should be in the pole position in such a scenario, at least in my opinion.​
Young guys are always a gamble, You're betting on them bringing their best game but you never know. Still, you gotta play them. Sure, you can play guys like Untersander over him but they wouldn't do much at international level anyway. With Bichsel you shouldn't underestimate the health issues he had. Especially that concussion was tough. At international level, Bichsel was always sensational. Made barely any mistakes and if he did he made up for them right away.

As for the goalies I agree with you for the most part. I believe that Schmid is the real deal but he's mostly just hot right now and probably not quite ready to keep this up. I will admit that I once was a great fan then kinda gave up on him as he seemingly didn't make progress for years. Now that he's made lots of big steps I'm positive he's gonna be an NHL goalie for a long time.
Van Pottelberghe I agree hasn't played much internationally so you never know but that's not just his fault alone (even though he rejected a Redwings offer) and there's no reason to believe that he's not good enough. He's been the best NL goalie for years, at least easily the best with Swiss passport. Much like Schmid he also has all the tools. He's big, he moves well and has a clean technique. Right now, I also like his positioning and better than Schmid's. Van Pottelberghe also seems to be ice cold and seems to have a really short memory. I don't think I ever saw him rattled. His consistency is amazing.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
What about Fischer?

prime Fischer is certainly in the mix same as Ambühl, regarding the goalies let's wait and see what happens these play offs, I wonder if Törmännen will also play van Pottelberghe instead of Sätteri with the 2-0 lead that would be worth the risk since Bern doesn't seem to be a real threat, Schmid seems to be the real deal but the sample size is far too small yet

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
At this point aren’t all the NJ Devils eligible to play for Switzerland?

Now that would be pretty cool to see Jesper Bratt or Jack Hughes in a Switzerland jersey:laugh:

I am not sure if I could bring myself to accept a guy into our national team that goes by the name of "lil :eek::eek::eek::eek:y" despite all the skill he has to offer:laugh:

Edit: Damn censorship:rolleyes:

Reactions: My3Sons

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Meier - Hischier - Fiala
Kurashev - Suter - Nino
Thürkauf - Corvi - Malgin
Bertschy - Haas - Herzog

Josi - Siegenthaler
Moser - Berni
Kukan - Bichsel

Schmid
Genoni
Aeschlimann

Reactions: Czechboy

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Meier - Hischier - Fiala
Kurashev - Suter - Nino
Thürkauf - Corvi - Malgin
Bertschy - Haas - Herzog

Josi - Siegenthaler
Moser - Berni
Kukan - Bichsel

Schmid
Genoni
Aeschlimann
Looks about right. I'd take Andrighetto over Herzog though. And maybe Tristan Scherwey who is a real clutch player that also brings some physicality to the table over Bertschy or Haas (and then move Bertschy to C). Its splitting hairs though. I am not sure if Schmid is ready for the starting position however. He has been very inconsistent in the NHL this season.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
The golden generation of Swiss hockey is just now and we can only fantasize about the lineup. 2026 olympics could very well be the only shot for this generation in their peak strenght.. If NHL players allowed.

Reactions: Czechboy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The golden generation of Swiss hockey is just now and we can only fantasize about the lineup. 2026 olympics could very well be the only shot for this generation in their peak strenght.. If NHL players allowed.
It's going to happen. Italy is a perfect spot.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Did Untersander retire from the national team? Was always impressed with him at the worlds.
Yes he retired from the national team about a year ago. He has been fighting chronic concussion issue for years which probably contributed to the decision.

Reactions: Zine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad