Who Would Make Switzerlands Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Meier - Hischier - Fiala
Kurashev - Suter - Nino
Malgin - Corvi - Andrigetto
Hofmann - Haas - Moy

Josi - Siegenthaler
Moser - Berni
Kukan - Untersanter

Schmid
Senn
Aeschlimann

The D is stronger than i thought. 4 NHL ds and Kukan is NHL quality aswell.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Could beat anyone (including Canada) but I don't think they could string together enough wins for a medal.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Meier - Hischier - Fiala
Kurashev - Suter - Nino
Malgin - Corvi - Andrigetto
Hofmann - Haas - Moy

Josi - Siegenthaler
Moser - Berni
Kukan - Untersanter

Schmid
Senn
Aeschlimann

The D is stronger than i thought. 4 NHL ds and Kukan is NHL quality aswell.
No Van Pottelberghe or Bichsel? Joren Van Pottelberghe is easily the best goalie with a Swiss passport and Lian Bichsel is already better than all defenders you listed except Roman Josi.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No Van Pottelberghe or Bichsel? Joren Van Pottelberghe is easily the best goalie with a Swiss passport and Lian Bichsel is already better than all defenders you listed except Roman Josi.
Moser, Siegenthaler and Berni is doing good in NHL. Kukan and Undtersanter is top players in NLA. Meanwhile Bichsel is mediocer in SHL, so no he is not better than any of those Ds.

Reactions: bossram

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Moser, Siegenthaler and Berni is doing good in NHL. Kukan and Undtersanter is top players in NLA. Meanwhile Bichsel is mediocer in SHL, so no he is not better than any of those Ds.
Easily.

Bichsel is playing SHL where development of Swedish players is priority and obviously, when in doubt, Leksands isn't gonna play the Swiss kid over Swedish players. Also, they probably don't want to rush a young kid who also suffered some horrible injuries over the last months. For example, his concussion was really bad. Therefore he doesn't get any PP-time which does impact his stats. If you're just stat watching that could be misleading. Still, from what I gather, Bichsel does play top4 when fully healthy and that was the case last season already. Not many foreign kids get to play top4 in the SHL. I like Tim Berni a lot but he's not as good as Lian Bichsel. In case you meant Ramon Untersander...he sucks. Works for him in that particular environment in Bern but he'd be useless somewhere else. He's mostly benefitting from being a righty and getting lots of quality ice time. He's as soft as it gets and can't make plays either. Kukan is solid and decent but there are reasons why he never really became a regular in the NHL.

Last edited:

Levshunov

May 7, 2022
Minsk, Belarus
Meier - Hischier - Fiala
Hofmann - Suter - Niderreiter
Andrighetto - Corvi - Malgin
Kurashev - Haas - Ambuhl
Moy, Bertschy

Josi - Kukan
Siegenthaler - Moser
Muller - Fora
Berni - Loeffel

Genoni
Schmid
Berra

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
USA has the strongest roster imo.
Roster... Probably. Best chance at gold... Not as sure. They very rarely win at senior level while Canada consistently wins at senior level.

Now why don't the states win more? No clue.. they are extremely good.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Roster... Probably. Best chance at gold... Not as sure. They very rarely win at senior level while Canada consistently wins at senior level.

Canada's always had the better players in the past. USA taking over now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada's always had the better players in the past. USA taking over now.
Going back to 1996... I have read over and over that the US are coming. This isn't a new take unfortunately. It's a 30 year old one to be honest. And it always ends the same. US without gold and Canada or someone else (Swedes and Czechs for instance) with a best on best gold.

Also, more contenders than US and Canada. This isn't a summit series. Finn's or Swedes could also win a best on best and it wouldn't be an upset.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Going back to 1996... I have read over and over that the US are coming. This isn't a new take unfortunately. It's a 30 year old one to be honest. And it always ends the same. US without gold and Canada or someone else (Swedes and Czechs for instance) with a best on best gold.

Also, more contenders than US and Canada. This isn't a summit series. Finn's or Swedes could also win a best on best and it wouldn't be an upset.
Yes heard it too...they are here now however.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes heard it too...they are here now however.
Canada won 3 best on bests in a row... if they are 'here now' then that is the standard currently set.

Man I hate the world for not having some best on bests! I want to see the Finn's golden (maybe) generation play.. I want to see the no flaw Swede team, I want to see McDavid and Crsoby and I want to see the US roster as it really does like insanely good.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Canada won 3 best on bests in a row... if they are 'here now' then that is the standard currently set.

Man I hate the world for not having some best on bests! I want to see the Finn's golden (maybe) generation play.. I want to see the no flaw Swede team, I want to see McDavid and Crsoby and I want to see the US roster as it really does like insanely good.
When did they do that?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Bichsel is playing SHL where development of Swedish players is priority and obviously, when in doubt, Leksands isn't gonna play the Swiss kid over Swedish players

This was some bullshit theory if ever I did see it. Firstly, prospect development is not the highest priority among SHL teams: it’s a professional league and winning games is prioritized over player development. If there’s value in playing a prospect, from both development and competitive perspectives, they will get plenty of ice time, and there’s no incentive for SHL teams in playing an inferior Swedish player over a superior foreign one. Leksand will receive transfer money once Bichsel signs an NHL contract, they’re thus playing him in ways they deem best for his development. In his case, he seems to have received a mostly regular but sheltered role on the team.

Also, they probably don't want to rush a young kid who also suffered some horrible injuries over the last months. For example, his concussion was really bad. Therefore he doesn't get any PP-time which does impact his stats. If you're just stat watching that could be misleading

This is more plausible, at least the part of not overplaying a kid with recent injury history. However, Bichsel plays a lot of PK, so I don’t think injuries are the reason why he’s not seeing PP time. He’s been Leksand’s second most utilized defenseman on the PK for the last ten games. Leksand seems to value his defensive play but see better options on the PP and ES. Him being foreign, again, I have no reason whatsoever to believe plays into his utilization. Five out of Leksand’s seven most utilized players on the PP are foreigners.

Still, from what I gather, Bichsel does play top4 when fully healthy and that was the case last season already. Not many foreign kids get to play top4 in the SHL.

He averages just under 16 minutes of ice time per game for the last ten games (compared to under 12 minutes on average for the entire season: he’s earned bigger minutes as of late), which however is sixth among Leksand defensemen: not top-4.

Junior players rarely have top-4 assignments in the SHL, period: it has nothing to do with them being foreigners, they would have to be standouts to earn big minutes in the SHL. Moritz Seider understandably played huge minutes for Rögle; Dean Kukan and Christian Jaros were eventually top-4 defensemen for Luleå, but perhaps not aged 18 or 19.

Over the last ten games, Bichsel is the 2nd most played under-20 defenseman in the SHL, behind HV71’s Sjöholm who’s a year older than the Swiss kid. There’s no reason to claim he’s being biased against because of being a foreigner.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Could beat anyone (including Canada) but I don't think they could string together enough wins for a medal.
In the "they get outshot 45-5 but win on a fluke 1-0" sense I suppose, but at the same time, I'm not sure if they have a goaltender that can really steal a game.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You act like there's been a bunch of NHL player Olympics the past 9 years. Looking at the past is not all that relevant (and I suspect is a needle since you talk about the most recent "best on bests" as though those are contemporary events), this the closest Canada and USA have been in terms of active NHL players and total points scored ever. If there was a "best on best" with NHL players competition every year like the Stanley Cup, Canada would probably win the most times but USA would win here and there as well. It's been so long since the last competition that you can't really use that to make any statements. Living in 1998, or even 2014 is kind of silly. Look at the 2014 Olympic rosters, most of those guys aren't even active players anymore or are very washed.

Junior results of the last 13 years paint a clearer picture of how to handicap a current NHL player Olympics. Before you say "well those are Juniors, not Professionals", realize that those former Junior teams from that long a time period are what would make up the hypothetical national teams today.

Last edited:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Probably the strongest "8th" team there's ever been. (Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech, Slovakia of course being traditionally far ahead of the rest of the pack).

I really hate the NHL for not making a best-on-best happen in the past decade.

Finland and maybe the USA are as strong as they've ever been, Canada is Canada, Russia is loaded with exciting talent, have ridiculous goaltending and actually finally have some decent Dmen. Sweden is solid as always are really good Czechs and Slovaks are back on the rise. Add to that a very (very) strong Switzerland, a German team with some huge studs sprinkled throughout the lineup.... it would be an amazing tournament.

Reactions: Czechboy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Probably the strongest "8th" team there's ever been. (Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech, Slovakia of course being traditionally far ahead of the rest of the pack).

I really hate the NHL for not making a best-on-best happen in the past decade.

Finland and maybe the USA are as strong as they've ever been, Canada is Canada, Russia is loaded with exciting talent, have ridiculous goaltending and actually finally have some decent Dmen. Sweden is solid as always are really good Czechs and Slovaks are back on the rise. Add to that a very (very) strong Switzerland, a German team with some huge studs sprinkled throughout the lineup.... it would be an amazing tournament.
Yes, a best on best right now would probably be as good as you can get, especially with Russia, Sweden and Finland all rock solid in Net as it stands.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You act like there's been a bunch of NHL player Olympics the past 9 years. Looking at the past is not all that relevant (and I suspect is a needle since you talk about the most recent "best on bests" as though those are contemporary events), this the closest Canada and USA have been in terms of active NHL players and total points scored ever. If there was a "best on best" with NHL players competition every year like the Stanley Cup, Canada would probably win the most times but USA would win here and there as well. It's been so long since the last competition that you can't really use that to make any statements. Living in 1998, or even 2014 is kind of silly. Look at the 2014 Olympic rosters, most of those guys aren't even active players anymore or are very washed.

Junior results of the last 13 years paint a clearer picture of how to handicap a current NHL player Olympics. Before you say "well those are Juniors, not Professionals", realize that those former Junior teams from that long a time period are what would make up the hypothetical national teams today.
Based on your Swiss team comment above and this comment... It's pretty clear to me that you think there are only two nations in international hockey. The way to determine who is the best is to look at NHL stats and world Junior results.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Based on your Swiss team comment above and this comment... It's pretty clear to me that you think there are only two nations in international hockey. The way to determine who is the best is to look at NHL stats and world Junior results.
Ah no. Directly above I said this would be the most competitive nhl player international tournament. Switzerland has some good players but still needs more depth realistically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad