Who Would Make Finlands Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Saros
Lankinen
Husso

Heiskanen - Lindell
Määttä - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Hakanpää
Mikkola - Ristolainen

Lehkonen - Barkov - Rantanen
Maccelli - Hintz - Granlund
Teuvo - Aho - Laine
Haula - Lundell - Kakko
Kapanen

Something like that. Strong team.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
They’ve got some real high-end talent at forward, and a lot of really solid 2-way forwards, but their defensive depth is really lacking.

I can’t think of anyone you missed in your lineup. Maybe Luostarinen would find himself a spot? I feel like the Fins usually have atleast couple guys from Europe on the team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The D is a bit lacking but I have no doubt they would've come together and been a nightmare for the other nations. Lots of self believe, great coaching and some really great players.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Granlund
Hintz - Lundell - Maccelli
Lehkonen - Haula - Armia

Heiskanen - Jokiharju
Lindell - Hakanpää
Lehtonen - Määttä
Mikkola

Saros - Husso - Olkinuora

Honestly I have no idea. The only thing I know is that Ristolainen wont be there.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Lehkonen - Barkov(A) - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho(A) - Kakko
Granlund(C) - Hintz - Laine
Lundell/Haula - Armia
Kapanen

Heiskanen - Jokiharju
Lindell - Vatanen
Lehtonen - Hakanpää
Määttä - Mikkola

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

Defense is just sad and no improvement in sight in the future, but luckily our game system supports defense very well.

3 players from the 2019 WJC gold medal team
6 players from the 2016 WJC gold medal team
6 players from the 2014 WJC gold medal team

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
At the moment:

Teräväinen - Aho - Rantanen
Laine - Barkov - Kakko
Jesse - Hintz - Kapanen
Lehkonen - Lundell - Armia

Miro - Jokiharju
Lindell - Risto
Määttä - Hakanpää

Saros
Husso

I made a similar list a year or so ago. Some comments:

Q: Teuvo on line 1? Aho ahead of Barkov?
The lines aren't necessarily ordered by priority. I like Teuvo together with Aho, and prefer to give them a bit of size by matching them with Rantanen. Barkov Seems to suit Laine the best, plus I'd want Barkov somewhat more available for penalty kills.

Q: Kakko?
I formerly had Kapanen in that position, but that's clearly not the right man for the job. It needs to be someone that can play a possession game with Barkov and draw attention away from Laine.

Q: What's the deal with line 3? No Granlund anywhere?
I can't figure out a satisfactory 3rd line. I prefer Granlund as a player to Jesse and Kasper, but honestly this is just to create a fun, energetic line that probably limits Hintz and ends up a liability.

Q: Lehkonen on the 4th line?
Defensive zone starts and penalty killing. It shouldn't be seen as a mark of dishonor; maybe my favorite trio.

Overall satisfied with the forwards, aside from the 3rd line, and Granlund absolutely belongs on the team.

Defense is a mess, but there's no good way to order things. Heiskanen is the only Olympic-quality Finnish defenseman. Jokiharju, Risto, and Jani are the only right-shot Finnish D-men in the NHL at the moment, so there's not much choice (I don't rate any left-shot defenders highly enough to replace any of these 3). Määttä has improved nicely from his years-long regression, so makes the squad. Although Hakanpää is reliable, him and Olli sacrifice too much speed together. I'm not attached to any of these pairings, and picking someone from outside the NHL might be a better choice.

Saros/Husso doesn't need any explanation.

Honorable mentions: Mikkola, Tolvanen, Luostarinen, Valimäki (...Maccelli?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra and Jaska

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Saros
Lankinen
Husso

Heiskanen - Lindell
Määttä - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Hakanpää
Mikkola - Ristolainen

Maccelli - Hintz - Granlund
Teuvo - Aho - Laine
Haula - Lundell - Kakko
Kapanen

Something like that. Strong team.
Korpisalo has been pretty good on a brutal CBJ team.

The forwards are good with great depth but the defense is absolutely brutal. Disaster zone whenever first pairing is not on the ice.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
Or just send team without nhl stars and play deep defense as they played world cups and were so sucesful

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Some of my fellow oiler fans insist JP is a future selke winner and he has yet to crack one roster in this thread. Didn't even make a HM list.

Hope he gets traded for his sake... He's better than what we are seeing for my Oil. I like the JP for Zadina idea.

Reactions: illone84

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
Some of my fellow oiler fans insist JP is a future selke winner and he has yet to crack one roster in this thread.
*cries of exasperation*

(line 3: Jesse - Hintz - Kapanen)

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I see lots of finns complaning about the defence, but its only Canada, Russia and USA that have better Ds than you guys.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I think Finlands team is a bit more difficult to speculate about than others right now, a lot of younger players in a crossroad moment in their careers and there are some defenders under the radar. Players that could become decent at this level. I'll mark them. With that said:

Tolvanen-Barkov-Rantanen (Give Tolvanen two stars who can cover his weaknesses, especially Barkov. Eeli lacks speed and intensity but just like Laine, if he has teammates with either speed, especially playmaking or just overall good level? He' ll produce).

Laine-Aho-Teräväinen
(Aho needs no presentation, but imagine if Laine got elite playmaking for once?
That's T.T's strengths. So underrated with his vision and ability to get off both passes and shots quickly)

Lundell-Hintz-Kakko/Granlund
( I do believe I prefer Luostarinens and Hintz speed at center position at this level. But Lundell is still a really skilled player with a strong mentality, able to defend and finish. Kakko has more in him than what he get's out in NYR. Find him some chemistry and he can hold the puck in offensive zone like a star).

Lehkonen-Luostarinen-Granlund/Kakko/Kapanen
( I just wan't to fit in Granlund but I'm not sure he would be better than Kapanen or Armia. Luostarinen is really underrated. Decent in almost every aspect of the game and is veyr mobile for his size. Lehkonen can produce but he has more grind to him then what I've ever seen from Granlund and I do believe he's more reliable than others in that role. Kapanen has some speed but does he have anything more to add to this roster?)

Maccelli-Pärssinen-Armia
(Who knows if Pärssinen can develop his defensive ability and IQ? Two big guys with Maccellis ability to create in many ways. Could be interesting).

Haula-Kotkaniemi-Puljujärvi
(Not so sold on this formation but I feel like these three go before the forwards under them. Pulju needs a new environment. Kotkaniemi is difficult to evaluate as well. Haula suits the lower lines with his work rate etc).

Mäenalanen-Räty-Kupari
Kiviranta-Heponiemi-Ranta
Kuokkanen-Koppanen-Puustinen
Saarela-Suomela-Hartikainen
Pesonen-Lammikko-Ylönen
Koivula-Aaltonen-Hartikainen

Plenty of somewhat young players who could become better in a short time, I' ll only mention them. Kuokkanen is underrated. Koppanen can perhaps develop into a role player. Puustinen is interesting. Kupari is skilled and pretty agile, needs to add other things to his game, some grit, intensity and determination. Räty can become really good but needs just like Lundell, Tolvanen and Kakko, to develop his skating and lungs.
Heponiemi, he has most things besides size and strength and there he lacks heavily. He's a lot quicker than other smallish Finnish players like Tolvanen and Granlund. He has some IQ and skill, but he's so weak. If that can change? Who knows.
Don't know about Ylönen, decent skater but he needs to add a lot more fierceness and become more rough to ever have a chance to take a lower line spot, because he's not good or talented enough for anything else.

Heiskanen-Lindell (I wan't clear roles. I prefer L-R but Lindell and Heinola are D's I can see on the "Wrong" side, perhaps even Välimäki. Also they should have chemistry. I always wan't to see one of the D's being really sound defensively).

Määttä-Jokiharju (Määttä is the defensive anchor here and I both believe and hope Jokiharju can have some more in him offensively).

Salo-Hakanpää (Hakanpää is the defensive minded D and i honestly believe Salo is heavily underrated. He can transport the puck. Yeah Välimäki is the bigger name, but we have a serious mismatch among our D's with the righties and lefties. Välimäki needs a top role and I just don't see his strengths-weaknesses being a good match with Jokiharju nor Heiskanen).

Mikkola-

Vaakanainen-Välimäki (I believe Vaakanainen could be able to handle a third pair role and focus on the defensive aspect of the game. I like that he's on the defensive side but still a lot more agile than Määttä and Hakanpää. Have a feeling he could be underrated for a role like that. Välimäki, I wan't him higher but no can do. Juuso has the potential to become a top4 in no time and also a leader).

Niemeläinen-Ristolainen (Just not a fan, can't defend and sometimes he thinks he's a bigger EK65 and can do whatever he want's when he can't and sometimes he's just a cone).

Lehtonen-
Heinola-
-Laaksonen
-Saarijärvi
-Niemelä
-Kinnunen
All of these smaller names are mostly offensive minded and I don't see a good match for them. Ohtamaa and others are getting older, we really need more righties and especially defensively strong D's to step up.
My hope is that Niemelä can become better than Jokiharju in the future. That Laaksonen still has the chance to take a spot in the NHL and that Heinola gets traded.

Saros
Lankinen
Husso
Luukkonen ( I believe in this kid. When he's solid I believe he's more secure and tight than Korpisalo. Has some serious size and has already gotten some trust in Sabres who are actually looking like a contender).

Not sorry for this long post. Enjoy yourselves.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Teravainen-Aho-Hintz
Lehkonen-Lundell-Granlund
Maccelli-Haula-Kapanen
Kakko

Lindell-Heiskanen
Maatta-Ristolainen
Hakanpaa-Jokiharju
Mikkola

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

Reactions: Lambo and Eye of Ra

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Lehkonen-Barkov-Rantanen
Laine-Aho-Teräväinen
Tolvanen-Hintz-Granlund
Kakko-Lundell-Kapanen

Luostarinen
Haula
Pärssinen
Maccelli
Puljujärvi
Kotkaniemi
etc.

Artturi Lehkonen has proven that he is big game player and a winner, capable of playing big minutes in a Stanley Cup winning team. In a hypothetical short tournament I would utilize proven chemistry, so I would try Lehkonen on the same line with the Moose. Barkov ofc the no1 center. That would also leave more goal scoring threats to the other lines.

Laine - Aho - Turbo. Proven chemistry again, highly dangerous line offensively.

This leaves Hintz as the obvious 3rd line center. Granlund always performes in the Lions, so he needs to be on a scoring line IMO. The other winger was a difficult choice, as there are so many options, but I went with the hot hand Tolvanen.

The fourth line has a reliable center in Lundell, strong puck hound and cycle player in Kakko and Kapanen brings speed and hustle. Luostarinen and Haula are good extra men capable of stepping in on multiple positions if needed. Pärssinen and Maccelli are really promising young players and Pulju is Pulju, but I just didn't find a position for them. Maybe 3rd line winger instead of Eeli.

Lindell-Heiskanen
Määttä-Hakanpää
Jokiharju-Ristolainen
Mikkola-Vatanen

The Dallas trio gets the largest role like in their NHL club. I could see Jalonen going with four defensive pairings again. If not, Heiskanen clocks huge minutes. Vatanen? Come on now, do you think Finland would choose no one playing in Europe? They always do! (Plus I have a soft spot for Vats...)

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

Easy choise. Saros is elite, the others aren't bad either.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Bumb.

Laine - Aho - Teräväinen
Granlund - Hintz - Tolvanen
Maccelli - Luostarinen - Kakko

Lindell-Heiskanen
Maatta-Ristolainen
Hakanpaa-Jokiharju
Mikkola

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

However, i think its fully possible Jalonen goes with a gritty 4th line with the likes of Kiviranta, Kupari and Mäenalanen.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Finland's defence is only a mess on paper when you look at the best defenders list on nhl.

Heiskenen is obviously the top name. Lindell is underrated big time. Maata and Hakanpaa are very solid. Others are vastly experienced in Finland's coaching style and proven to be a real strength of Finland game. That and the majority of there forwards are two way players.
Finland's defence will be strong point. Far from a mess.

This whole putting lists together and checking how many nhl points they have is fun. Don't get me wrong. But games are not played on paper. Finland would fight for the gold in best on best. Just like the other big four.

Just to hammer home the point, Sweden look like they were on the way down last year. They are having a great year in nhl and now the same team looks stacked. One year on, the same team of players, different perspective because nhl points are up.

We really do need a best on best tournament. It's been way too long. It's becoming a farce.

Reactions: Elvs and Czechboy

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finland's defence is only a mess on paper when you look at the best defenders list on nhl.

Heiskenen is obviously the top name. Lindell is underrated big time. Maata and Hakanpaa are very solid. Others are vastly experienced in Finland's coaching style and proven to be a real strength of Finland game. That and the majority of there forwards are two way players.
Finland's defence will be strong point. Far from a mess.

This whole putting lists together and checking how many nhl points they have is fun. Don't get me wrong. But games are not played on paper. Finland would fight for the gold in best on best. Just like the other big four.

Just to hammer home the point, Sweden look like they were on the way down last year. They are having a great year in nhl and now the same team looks stacked. One year on, the same team of players, different perspective because nhl points are up.

We really do need a best on best tournament. It's been way too long. It's becoming a farce.

Valimäki seems to be breaking out too. Mikkola is also very solid.

Swedish defenders are not only about points btw. Players such as Brodin, Lindholm, Ekhlolm and Larsson are very good in their own zone.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Ristolainen has burned the bridges with the national team so he wouldn't be in.

Heiskanen-Lehtonen
Vatanen-Lindell
Hakanpaa-Mikkola
Jokiharju

Could be something like that. It's not a bad defense actually.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I go with pairings for our offense:

Maccelli - Barkov - Laine
Lehkonen - Aho - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Hintz - Kakko
Luostarinen - Lundell - Granlund
Haula

xtras: Tolvanen, Pulju, Kotkaniemi

Heiskanen - Jokiharju
Hakanpää - Lindell
Välimäki - Mikkola
Määttä

1. line - Barkov-Laine train together in the summers and both score goals. Maccelli is a superb passer and should suit the line
2. line - Lehkonen /Rantanen play together on Avs. Lehky is a good 2-way forward. Aho is speedy like MacKinnon and the setup is the same as the Avs topline.
3. line - Teräväinen is a 2way forward, Hintz a really speedy 1C with finnish. Kakko is a puckhog who can cycle.
4. line - Luostarinen a good 2way W/C, Lundell defensive minded C and Granlun ok 2-way.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Saros
Luukkonen
Lankinen

Heiskanen - Lindell
Hakanpää - Jokiharju
Määttä - Mikkola

Maccelli - Barkov - Laine
Lehkonen - Aho - Rantanen