Who would be replacement players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
Yes, I know there's a stickied thread about replacement players, but who would be eligible to play? Who do you think would star? I think the talent level wouldn't be that low below the NHL, most of the NHL outcasts in europe have the skills, they just don't have size or heart needed.

They could have undrafted CHL overagers such as Ryan Keller, Later, Boisclair, Gagne, Sparre, Zalasky, Marcotte, Sam Roberts, Tifu, guys like that

Then there's the biggest group (I'm guessing) the replacement players would be made out of: NHL rejects. You've got the guys like Jeff Shantz, Rene Corbet, Dave Karpa, Hnat Domenchelli, Alex Selivanov, Domenic Pittis, Eric Landry, Jeff Toms, Stacy Roest, Yves Sarault, Randy Robitaille, Matt Herr, etc. I'm guessing these guys would be the heart of the new league. Who else can you think of? Just look at the Canadian Spengler Cup roster

What goalies and defenceman are there out there? Corey Hirsch?

Then theres prospects. Are the Phaneuf's and Ovechkin's eligible to play as replacement players? Are CHL prospects under some kind of PA rule already? What about college guys, or older prospects (22-24) in Europe eligible?

What about guys like Chuck Kobasew or Mike Commodore (in the Flames case), fringe players who are in the AHL right now? What about Cammelleri or Spezza? What about pure AHL/ECHL fodder like Carsen Germyn or Dustin Johner or Ritchie Regehr(also in the Flames case). What about players signed to AHL teams like Craig MacDonald or Brantt Mhyres (that Lowell signed but the Flames or Hurricanes don't have rights to). What happens to Dean MacAmmond?

Would recent retiree's come back to play? Could the flames bring back Hakaan Loob ;) Would Gretzky come back and dominate?

the Expansion teams could reunite their cannon fodder they brought in to fill up the roster during their first few seasons. Calgary, Edmonton, and Montreal could reunite all their draft busts of the 90's. What about players in Europe that have NHL rights but arn't playing in the NHL, do they count as PA members? The Flames could bring in Martin Straka's brother (Josef?), for example. There's guys like Mikko Eloranta, etc..

Food for thought. Discuss

who'd win the hypothetical Hart, Norris, Art Ross, and Vezina?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad