Who won the Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones trade?

Who won the Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones trade?

• Nashville

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Columbus

Votes: 192 76.2%
  • Even

Votes: 45 17.9%

• Total voters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If the point of a trade is to make your team better, I don't see how Nashville isn't the hands down winner. Nashville played in the Cup finals and won the Presidents trophy with Johansen. CBJ went to the second round once and missed the playoffs twice with Jones after the trade.

Nashville didn't miss Jones.
Yeah, I'm surprised by the results here.

Nashville had years of sustained success after trading Jones. Not necessarily because of trading Jones, but it sure didn't hurt their team. They already had good defensemen and Johansen made them better at a position of need.

But you know how it is on HF. If you don't win the Cup, you finished 32nd.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the point of a trade is to make your team better, I don't see how Nashville isn't the hands down winner. Nashville played in the Cup finals and won the Presidents trophy with Johansen. CBJ went to the second round once and missed the playoffs twice with Jones after the trade.

Nashville didn't miss Jones.

If Nashville won the cup in 2017, I bet Nashville wins this trade in a landslide.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Why are you bringing Chicago into this? The Hawks trading for Jones has nothing to do with this poll.
It has everything to do with it. Columbus side of the trade tree is far better.

Silliness is the most valuable piece on either side by a mile right now when you factor in contracts.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Why are you bringing Chicago into this? The Hawks trading for Jones has nothing to do with this poll.
Assets still remaining because of the Jones-Johansen trade absolutely matter in evaluating it, yes sir.

My point is that Columbus turned Jones into a wealth of assets, even if it was a lopsided trade (the Jones to Chicago trade). The same summer as the Jones trade happened, Nashville was leaving Johansen unprotected in expansion drafts. Yes, I understand Johanen had a rebound year, but good luck making a Johansen trade proposal with a return for Nashville that was comparable to what Jones' return was. CBJ new assets are worth far more that Johansen currently. Asset building 101. Even if Nashville didn't 'lose' the trade, Columbus has benefited more.

Has Nashville had more team success than Columbus since the trade? Yes, for sure. But they have been better for a wealth of reasons outside this trade. Them having team success doesn't mean every trade they made with a worse team is a win. Colorado could trade Byram and Newhook to Chicago for Max Domi, go on to win another cup, and they'd still be losers of that trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
People here are only thinking about asset value. It's insane.

I voted "even" because it's about as close as you can get to a win-win trade these days. But I feel Nashville should be happiest with the trade, since they actually had some on-ice success because of it.
I don't think you'd find any Nashville fans who would undo the trade if we could. Johansen hasn't entirely lived up to the full expectations we had for him, but even with that in hindsight we wouldn't change. So from that perspective, in Nashville we'd still consider it a "win". Plus it cannot be understated how desperate we have been for centers nor how stacked we have been on D.

Now, Columbus fans can choose to look at it as a "win" also from their perspective of needs or what they got in asset value out of Jones, and that's fine too. I figure if both sides look at it as a "win", and neither side would undo the trade with the benefit of hindsight... well... that's pretty darn "even" in the end.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Assets still remaining because of the Jones-Johansen trade absolutely matter in evaluating it, yes sir.

My point is that Columbus turned Jones into a wealth of assets, even if it was a lopsided trade (the Jones to Chicago trade). The same summer as the Jones trade happened, Nashville was leaving Johansen unprotected in expansion drafts. Yes, I understand Johanen had a rebound year, but good luck making a Johansen trade proposal with a return for Nashville that was comparable to what Jones' return was. CBJ new assets are worth far more that Johansen currently. Asset building 101. Even if Nashville didn't 'lose' the trade, Columbus has benefited more.

Has Nashville had more team success than Columbus since the trade? Yes, for sure. But they have been better for a wealth of reasons outside this trade. Them having team success doesn't mean every trade they made with a worse team is a win. Colorado could trade Byram and Newhook to Chicago for Max Domi, go on to win another cup, and they'd still be losers of that trade.
Does Nashville go to the cup finals without Johansen? I don’t think so. Do they win the President’s Trophy? Probably not. Trading Jones for Johansen gave them the missing piece while not weakening their roster because even without Jones they had the top defensive corps in the league at the time. So again if the point of a trade is making your team stronger Nashville wins this easily.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
By my count, Johansen underperformed his contract every year since the 2017 run. I believe he also went unclaimed in the expansion draft.

Trading Jones from their position of strength made sense, but Nashville thought they were getting a long term solution at 1C and that didn't happen. It really comes down to whether you think that one playoff run makes it all good for them.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
By my count, Johansen underperformed his contract every year since the 2017 run. I believe he also went unclaimed in the expansion draft.

Trading Jones from their position of strength made sense, but Nashville thought they were getting a long term solution at 1C and that didn't happen. It really comes down to whether you think that one playoff run makes it all good for them.

I disagree. Johansen had a 50 assist season, 14 points in 13 playoff games the following year as well as a a third PPG post-season, and this past season where he hit 60 points again.

His two down years coincided exactly at the point when Viktor Arvidsson declined and missed time and when Filip Forsberg was injured.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
In a vacuum this trade seemed at the time and still now seems fairly even to me. Both teams got a quality top line/pairing player that filled a need for them.

Stan Bowman really pushed this one over to the Columbus side.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Nashville had actual playoff success with RyJo. Columbus swept the lightning.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think Johansen had a better peak but has regressed significantly. I think Johansen's 8M cap hit is one of the worst cap hits in the league.
I'm going to disagree, he was really good last season with crap linemates. Yes he's a little overpaid but big playmaking centers that can play both ways are hard to find. He did have 2 bad seasons but seems to be back on track. And during the cup run, he was dominating opposing centers until he got injured. If he's healthy, a lot of people believe we win the cup, myself and many Penguin fans included.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm going to disagree, he was really last season with crap linemates. Yes he's a little overpaid but big playmaking centers that can play both ways are hard to find. He did have 2 bad seasons but seems to be back on track. And during the cup run, he was dominating opposing centers until he got injured. If he's healthy, a lot of people believe we win the cup, myself and many Penguin fans included.
If he's back on track, then I will admit I am wrong and will bow to those who watch more frequently on this topic. Cheers.

Reactions: triggrman

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Given how Columbus has been searching for a top C since trading Johansen, Idk. Jones is the better player, but CBJ has had a hole at C since trading Johansen while Nashville had Josi. Both teams have been beyond fine at finding defenders. If you ask me, CBJ should have kept Johansen and NSH should have looked for another trade partner for Jones.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given how Columbus has been searching for a top C since trading Johansen, Idk. Jones is the better player, but CBJ has had a hole at C since trading Johansen while Nashville had Josi. Both teams have been beyond fine at finding defenders. If you ask me, CBJ should have kept Johansen and NSH should have looked for another trade partner for Jones.

If Johansen was a top C, then sure. He hasn't been that for more than a matter of months in the last five years.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Columbus. Nashville might have been better off if they had made the rumored trade with Edmonton for Nuge.

Oh god no, RNH would basically have been David Legwand 2.0 here.

I think Johansen had a better peak but has regressed significantly. I think Johansen's 8M cap hit is one of the worst cap hits in the league.

Johansen is probably worth about 6M, hardly one of the worst contracts in the league for what he brings.

Reactions: triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad