Who won the Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones trade?

Who won the Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones trade?

• Nashville

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Columbus

Votes: 192 76.2%
  • Even

Votes: 45 17.9%

• Total voters

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Columbus got 6 solid years out of Jones before trading him to the Hawks. Nashville just about won the cup with Johansen in 2017-18. They may have won it had Ryan not get injured in the 3rd round.

Nashville still has Johansen, though you could say an underperforming Johansen.

From trading Jones to Chicago, Columbus now has Boqvist, 2021 Hawks 1st (Cole Sillinger), 2021 Hawks 2nd (Aleksi Heimosalami), 2022 Hawks 1st

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
That 22 hawks 1st round pick the jackets got is no small piece. Wasn’t that the 6th overall pick they used to draft David Jiricek?

Regardless, Columbus “won” the trade by a large margin IMO. If the perds had won a cup (or win one in the near future with Johansen playing a large role) then I could see more of an argument.

Reactions: Siludin and Deam78

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Assets from the Chi trade: Boqvist, a pick flipped for Bean, the Jiricek pick, the Sillinger pick (CBJ also traded a late 1st in 2021 that is Nolan Allen).

Jones' vs Johansen's impact on the teams that traded for them aside, we could never see Nashville get those type of assets for Johansen... Not that anyone believed Columbus would get that type of a return for Jones either :naughty:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
In a vacuum CBJ wins bigly given the years of play from Jones + trading him for a haul. However CBJ did have a huge hole at C for the past 8 years from the trade so it wasn’t without cost.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In a vacuum CBJ wins bigly given the years of play from Jones + trading him for a haul. However CBJ did have a huge hole at C for the past 8 years from the trade so it wasn’t without cost.
Fair, but Johansen isn't exactly a 1C worth an 8M contract. Not only did CBJ potentially get his replacement in Sillinger, they also got Jones replacement in Jiricek.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Johansen did help the Preds reach the finals (he had 13 points in 14 games before his injury) even if he didn't play the whole run.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Nashville won the Johansen for Jones trade. They went all the way to the finals and I strongly believe they would have won if Rojo didn't get hurt. Jones was an above average D-Man for Columbus, but never really made it anywhere with that team.

The Jones to Chicago trade is a totally separate trade, and the Hawks got robbed on that trade, I mean robbed.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If the point of a trade is to make your team better, I don't see how Nashville isn't the hands down winner. Nashville played in the Cup finals and won the Presidents trophy with Johansen. CBJ went to the second round once and missed the playoffs twice with Jones after the trade.

Nashville didn't miss Jones.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nashville won the Johansen for Jones trade. They went all the way to the finals and I strongly believe they would have won if Rojo didn't get hurt. Jones was an above average D-Man for Columbus, but never really made it anywhere with that team.

The Jones to Chicago trade is a totally separate trade, and the Hawks got robbed on that trade, I mean robbed.

As a Penguins fan I think they win if RoJo is healthy tbh.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If the point of a trade is to make your team better, I don't see how Nashville isn't the hands down winner. Nashville played in the Cup finals and won the Presidents trophy with Johansen. CBJ went to the second round once and missed the playoffs twice with Jones after the trade.

Nashville didn't miss Jones.

People here are only thinking about asset value. It's insane.

I voted "even" because it's about as close as you can get to a win-win trade these days. But I feel Nashville should be happiest with the trade, since they actually had some on-ice success because of it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

bobbydigital

Aug 18, 2016
Chicago
Assets from the Chi trade: Boqvist, a pick flipped for Bean, the Jiricek pick, the Sillinger pick (CBJ also traded a late 1st in 2021 that is Nolan Allen).

Jones' vs Johansen's impact on the teams that traded for them aside, we could never see Nashville get those type of assets for Johansen... Not that anyone believed Columbus would get that type of a return for Jones either :naughty:
Why are you bringing Chicago into this? The Hawks trading for Jones has nothing to do with this poll.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I think that Jones time in Colombus > RyJo's time in Nashville, but RyJo's still with his team so, to me, it even out

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
Why are you bringing Chicago into this? The Hawks trading for Jones has nothing to do with this poll.
I think for Columbus the return for Jones from Chicago is inextricably linked to any evaluation of the Johansen trade.

I'd expect if Nashville were to trade RyJo, they'd take the return into account as well.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad