Who wins the Rocket next year?

Who wins the Rocket

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think Ovie will be concerned with scoring goals next year. He worked all season to reach 50, missed it by 1 goal and won the cup instead.

Agree disagree. His main job is scoring goals. His fast start while the general offense was struggling carried the team for 20 games. His playoff goals were almost all impactful.

I expect Ovechkin to be the top goal scorer in the league until someone beats him.

Reactions: Voight

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
For the dark, dark horse candidate... i present you Brock Boeser. I mean he was on pace for over 40, and there won't be the Sedins getting O-zone starts and PP time...

In all honesty, he won't take it this year, but those stating that it is a two horse race between Laine and Matthews going forward... I think you may have to reconsider.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
McDavid scored 35 ESG last year. That's insane. It's between Ovechkin, Laine, McDavid next year.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh: be ready to be disappointed.
He's been the best even strength goal scorer since entering the league.

He's going to be getting #1PP time for the first time in his career with Marner who's like a cheat code on the PP, this is going to add probably 10 goals to his totals if not more depending on how good the chemistry is. And this is all going to come with getting minutes that are in line with other elite #1C's around the league

You guys ain't seen nothing yet. None of you will come back when Matthews is destroying the goal-scoring race.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

He's going to be getting #1PP time for the first time in his career with Marner who's like a cheat code on the PP, this is going to add probably 10 goals to his totals if not more depending on how good the chemistry is. And this is all going to come with getting minutes that are in line with other elite #1C's around the league

You guys ain't seen nothing yet. None of you will come back when Matthews is destroying the goal-scoring race.
That's fine. He isn't getting close to 56 goals next year though

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For the dark, dark horse candidate... i present you Brock Boeser. I mean he was on pace for over 40, and there won't be the Sedins getting O-zone starts and PP time...

In all honesty, he won't take it this year, but those stating that it is a two horse race between Laine and Matthews going forward... I think you may have to reconsider.

I would love to see the Canucks improve. I think Boeser and Laine are the future most likely Rocket winners, probably taking turns when Ovie starts to wind down their careers. Both have unbelievable releases and shots. Boeser just needs better talent around him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not saying it will play out like this but let's not forget in Matthews rookie season he was tied for 2nd in total goals with 40 and just 4 away from the Rocket Richard when Crosby won it with 44 goals. So he's got a good chance of anyone to possibly win it.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The correct answer to any question like this is McJesus. Son of the hockey gods.
The second half of the season he finally admitted to himself that no one else on the Oilers could score so he pretty much scored at will himself. Barring injury its McJ

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Lmao ooooooooook.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I believe that Scheifele has raised his game to another level and will be a 45-55 goal score next year. I think Scheifele has realised that he can score with the best in the league and I see his overall shot totals going up by 75-100 next season. While his very high S% will drop next year the 75-100 extra shots will most likely put him at the 50+ goals level.

Lastly Laine will not be on his wing as I expect PoMo to stick to the CSW line.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Until someone beats Ovechkin, it's Ovechkin. Guy has won seven of them. Just based on the law of averages, you vote for Ovechkin. There is a 50%+ chance he wins it every season [he is 7 for 13].

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If Laine gets more 5v5 minutes with a Decent or good Centre(not Bryan Little) for an entire season than him. I think McDavid comes down to Earth in the goal scoring department, I think Matthews will improve point totals(not Goals), Ovie will have a 2011-2012 type season(not great for him but still a really good season), Malkin will be in the race all season(barring injury), Eichel will surprise while challenging for it too as Svechnikov does the same, while the league goes back to its natural stage and less points our back to normal.

What?

Imagine if the Oilers had even an average PP.
Except for a few players the entire team sucked.
McDavid is probably the best player in the NHL and didn't have an inflated S%.

... what reasons do you have for your "thought"... or is it more like hope... so your boy has a red carpet to the Rocket?

It's terrible that Laine has to play with Little, Ehlers, Stastny, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Trouba. On the PP (where he gets 45% of his goals) with Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor and Byfuglien. :rolleyes:

I say Laine wins the Rocket next year.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

Sure sure we've heard this song and dance before. Lets see him play a complete season before we get ahead of ourselves. He's been piling up more injuries than goals lately.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sure sure we've heard this song and dance before. Lets see him play a complete season before we get ahead of ourselves. He's been piling up more injuries than goals lately.
Who's misssed more games due to injury? Matthews or McDavid?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
What?

Imagine if the Oilers had even an average PP.
Except for a few players the entire team sucked.
McDavid is probably the best player in the NHL and didn't have an inflated S%.

... what reasons do you have for your "thought"... or is it more like hope... so your boy has a red carpet to the Rocket?

It's terrible that Laine has to play with Little, Ehlers, Stastny, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Trouba. On the PP (where he gets 45% of his goals) with Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor and Byfuglien. :rolleyes:

I say Laine wins the Rocket next year.

I don’t need to imagine, I think McDavid is a natural playmaker who will only get less goals with a better team around him(when he is inclined to pass more). If the Oilers become better next year(and I believe they will) I think McDavid scores more points and less goals. I’m not saying McDavid has peaked in the Goal scoring department either(I think he will likely win a Rocket or two in his career), I’m just saying I think it falls next season as every season has a different story for every player(especially when your one of the best).

My reasoning for the belief Laine will win the Rocket is not hope, my reasoning is the fact that he had the second highest G/60 in the past 15 years, his 5v5 production dropped significantly this year while primarily sitting beside Little(I don’t want to throw him under the bus as I respect him because he has been one of the best Jets at the beginning but he has since became a shadow of what he once was and struggles all down the lineup offensively as he brought down down all of his linemates 5v5 p/60 during they’re tenure with him) for most of it, he lead the league in PowerPlay goals(not a suprise that’s what his shooting talent Was brought up to be with his shot arsenal, when they have a man advantage no shot is more lethal) and might play beside an Elite playmaking Center with top line minutes and to add to that he had more goals than McDavid in both of his seasons(he’s a better overall Goalscorer, that’s his game)

Also I would had picked Ovie, he’s always a good and safe bet but the guy looks like he might need to join Alcohol Anonymous by the time the regular season comes around at this rate, he’s just having to much fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad