Who will win the 2014-15 Calder Trophy (early, I know)

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I know this is very early and there's no guarantee on whether these players will even stay with their respective drafting clubs, but we might as well take a guess now for the Hell of it. I wager it goes to Drouin, with the top three being him, Ekblad and Draisaitl.

oh god i can't edit the thread title and i wrote 2013-15

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I know this is very early and there's no guarantee on whether these players will even stay with their respective drafting clubs, but we might as well take a guess now for the Hell of it. I wager it goes to Drouin, with the top three being him, Ekblad and Draisaitl.

oh god i can't edit the thread title and i wrote 2013-15

Those are three pretty solid guesses; I'd have to imagine Drouin has one of, if not the best chance with his supporting cast in Tampa if he plays the whole year.. considering two Lightning rookies made strong cases for themselves already this past year, and will have another season under their belt. Ekblad will likely be a finalist even if his numbers are somewhat unspectacular, so long as he manages the same consistent play that has been his calling card in his young career thus far, logging 15-20 mins a game as a rookie for a Panthers team on the rise. Draisaitl also has a fair chance considering that his own supporting cast is comprised of several once top-ranked draftees and projected stars, who will no doubt serve as his ambassadors to the big league game, and who have been give every opportunity to shine (i.e. ice time) as I am certain he also will. The dark horse here is obviously Johnny Boy, who has more skill in his pinky than these three combined IMO, but who warrants many questions that are as of yet, unanswered.. will he be able to stick with the big club, and if so, will he play all 82 games? (One has to imagine that if even Mony missed some time due to injury, and noticeably struggled at times to maintain a consistent pace over the course of an NHL season, that the odds are somewhat stacked against JG).. even if Johnny makes too strong a case for himself to be sent down, just how sheltered will his minutes be, and will achieve enough in said sheltered minutes to warrant consideration as the league's top rookie.. I suppose if Alex Ovechkin can be mentioned as one of the league's best by beasting it up on the PP, anything is possible.. I'll echo your three picks, with Johnny as the dark horse depending on if, when, where and how often he plays.. If we can predict based on the three-year spread as your title suggests, then surely Johnny is a shoo-in in 2015-16 with that extra year of seasoning under his belt if not next year ;)

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm going with Gaudreau. I think Drouin will see quite a bit of 3rd line minutes going by how Tampa handled Stamkos and Connolly in their rookie seasons. Gaudreau would be top 6 all season and I think he scores over 50.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Johnny stays the whole season (or at least 60-80 games) ---> Johnny

If Johnny only plays half the season or less ---> Drouin

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, after last year, I'm very hesitant to get myself worked up in a Calder Trophy frenzy before hockey starts getting played. I know that you qualified this in the thread title as "early," and it is. We don't know who's even going to be playing in the NHL.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Not even going to predict. As you can probably see, i'm not the greatest at these. :laugh:

Nemisz...

Jk Drouin Gaudreau or Reinhart. Bennet will be hacking at Mcdavid in 2015 (I think we finish around 6th-7th worst so we don't get Mcdavid)

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Honestly, after last year, I'm very hesitant to get myself worked up in a Calder Trophy frenzy before hockey starts getting played. I know that you qualified this in the thread title as "early," and it is. We don't know who's even going to be playing in the NHL.

Yeah. I remember being all about Baertschi being a strong candidate. Hopes dashed.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Probably Drouin (if he makes the Lightning team)

HM: G. Reinhart, Gaudreau, Ekblad, S. Reinhart

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Probably Drouin (if he makes the Lightning team)

HM: G. Reinhart, Gaudreau, Ekblad, S. Reinhart

I'd add Anaheim's goalie Gibson to that too. I think he stole the job from both Hiller and Andersen. The kid can win 25-30 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00