Speculation: Who will replace Rimer in the booth?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Bobby Mac has a lot of talent for the role and I'd welcome him, I'd just like him to cut down on the hokey folky stuff. I believe someone called it "golly gee" in another thread. But when it comes to the voice and the pacing and all that, I like him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My beef with Bobby Mac (aside from the hokey, gee golly stuff) is that he never gives the score and time enough, so I guess being on TV would mitigate that. (That's actually my beef with most radio PBP.)

Anyway, #internalhire #retread, right? Then we can make Dylan Tyrer the radio PBP.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
My beef with Bobby Mac (aside from the hokey, gee golly stuff) is that he never gives the score and time enough, so I guess being on TV would mitigate that. (That's actually my beef with most radio PBP.)

Anyway, #internalhire #retread, right? Then we can make Dylan Tyrer the radio PBP.
Would it be an internal hire? Sure. But how is it a retread? Dude's never been a TV PBP guy in the NHL before. This would simply be a promotion.

I think BobbyMac on TV would be somewhat different from BobbyMac on the radio. They are just different roles. BobbyMac did a fine job filling in for Rimer (was it last year or two seasons ago). I would miss having him on the radio but I endorse this promotion if it happens.

As for Dylan, I am not a fan of most of the work he does but the couple times he filled in for BobbyMac when BobbyMac had that allergic reaction thing earlier this season he did a fine job. I would not love him as the fill in for BobbyMac on the Monday Mailbag.

If the team wants to go outside the organization for a new TV PBP guy that's fine with me. If that happens I hope BobbyMac is OK with continuing as the radio guy.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

My question is who is Mike Stump? He made a pretty thoughtless comment. Someone asked who else would interview for the job and he responded Jody and Dylan.

A) Jody is an analyst, not a PBP guy. I have to assume he would have zero interest in the gig, it's not his sweet spot and he's getting national gigs for analysis as well.

B) Dylan hasn't been a PBP guy except as a fill in. In no way is he remotely ready to be the TV PBP guy for an NHL club. Maybe he gets an interview for the radio PBP guy if BobbyMac gets the TV job (or maybe the Cleveland job is Tony Brown is offered the CBJ radio gig) but that's it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Would it be an internal hire? Sure. But how is it a retread? Dude's never been a TV PBP guy in the NHL before. This would simply be a promotion.

I think BobbyMac on TV would be somewhat different from BobbyMac on the radio. They are just different roles. BobbyMac did a fine job filling in for Rimer (was it last year or two seasons ago). I would miss having him on the radio but I endorse this promotion if it happens.

As for Dylan, I am not a fan of most of the work he does but the couple times he filled in for BobbyMac when BobbyMac had that allergic reaction thing earlier this season he did a fine job. I would not love him as the fill in for BobbyMac on the Monday Mailbag.

If the team wants to go outside the organization for a new TV PBP guy that's fine with me. If that happens I hope BobbyMac is OK with continuing as the radio guy.
I'm just using our hashtags is all.

I'm honestly not using a whole lot of mental energy on the topic - not that it isn't important to me (hell, I've complained about Rims enough) or isn't a worthwhile topic, just that I don't really have any idea who might be interested or available and I do feel like they'd give it to Bobby if he wants it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just a fan, but he’s quoting from Bobby Mac himself from twitter spaces.

Apologies for that. I should have made that known

I wasn't questioning whether BobbyMac had interviewed for the job because I expect it's his if he wants it. But Stump's suggestion that Jody and Dylan would get interviews for the job seems unrealistic. Jody is an analyst, PBP is not in his wheelhouse and Dylan has little experience at the pro level and should be gunning for the radio gig or Tony Brown's radio gig if he gets promoted to CBJ radio guy. It'd be like hiring a D2 college American football coach to coach a Premier Soccer League team...who would do that ;)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wasn't questioning whether BobbyMac had interviewed for the job because I expect it's his if he wants it. But Stump's suggestion that Jody and Dylan would get interviews for the job seems unrealistic. Jody is an analyst, PBP is not in his wheelhouse and Dylan has little experience at the pro level and should be gunning for the radio gig or Tony Brown's radio gig if he gets promoted to CBJ radio guy. It'd be like hiring a D2 college American football coach to coach a Premier Soccer League team...who would do that ;)
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Doggy

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
I think this may tie into who is broadcasting the Jackets next year. Are we going to have another lame duck Bally's broadcast? A deal with Amazon Prime (Kraken just signed a deal)? ESPN+-#&*? Someone else? Maybe if/when a new broadcast deal is reached, the new company may what a say so on who Rims replacement is.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think this may tie into who is broadcasting the Jackets next year. Are we going to have another lame duck Bally's broadcast? A deal with Amazon Prime (Kraken just signed a deal)? ESPN+-#&*? Someone else? Maybe if/when a new broadcast deal is reached, the new company may what a say so on who Rims replacement is.
According to what I read, the rights to all broadcasts revert back to the league at the end of the season after getting bailed out this winter. The question is what does Amazon's investment in Bally Sports+ mean in the long run.

I'm sure the broadcaster does have a say. I believe those people are employees of the broadcaster and not the team when it comes down to it. The team just has a say in who is hired to do the job.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
According to what I read, the rights to all broadcasts revert back to the league at the end of the season after getting bailed out this winter. The question is what does Amazon's investment in Bally Sports+ mean in the long run.

I'm sure the broadcaster does have a say. I believe those people are employees of the broadcaster and not the team when it comes down to it. The team just has a say in who is hired to do the job.
That makes zero sense at all. If BobbyMac actually "interviewed" for the job as was mentioned in the tweet and assuming it was with the CBJ organization he interviewed with then they almost definitely are employees of the organization and not the broadcaster and that the broadcaster doesn't have a say.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That makes zero sense at all. If BobbyMac actually "interviewed" for the job as was mentioned in the tweet and assuming it was with the CBJ organization he interviewed with then they almost definitely are employees of the organization and not the broadcaster and that the broadcaster doesn't have a say.
Maybe it changed but it wasn't that way when it was Fox Sports. the team has ultimately control of who does the job but I believe "technically" their paychecks come from the network that the games are shown on.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
That’s just a piece of self-deprecating humor. Like, “I have so little pull, I’m just glad they keep letting me in the building.”

He openly wanted CBJ to get the 1st pick

And gave a shout out to Cleveland after their game 3 win.

....and he keeps re-tweeting Porty.

I'm not sayin'......

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He openly wanted CBJ to get the 1st pick

And gave a shout out to Cleveland after their game 3 win.

....and he keeps re-tweeting Porty.

I'm not sayin'......

I do think it’s possible but he’s got a pretty good and cushy job at espn. I know espn has had lots of layoffs, but Ballys is also a house of cards. At least at ESPN he has seniority.

Reactions: CBJx614

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ok? Which part of all of that is evidence of his dissatisfaction with ESPN?

Not saying he's posted much about it, but he is not a company man.

These are just continuation of Columbus-relating tweets he has had for months.

Plus this recent piece from the Jackets with him last week

He hasn't done this for any other team, I'm just saying that he's REALLY loving Columbus if he's not coming here.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I dont care how much tenure you have, ESPN is liable to cut you out at any moment. It may be his dream job and if it is and is offered to him he should jump on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad