Who will go No. 1 in 2014?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
In today's "holy crap, I'm old" moment, Sami Kapanen's kid is a top-10 prospect for the 2014 draft. Michael Nylander's, too.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9429799/2013-nhl-draft-leon-draisaitl-go-no-1-2014

1. Leon Draisaitl, C, Prince Albert (WHL), 6-foot-2, 200 pounds
Draisaitl has been on the scene for a couple of years when he suited up for the U-18 German national team as a double under-age player and impressed. He is an excellent combination of power and skill and possesses an NHL shot. The fact that he came over to North America to play after being selected in the CHL European draft speaks loudly to NHL teams. They want to see a commitment to the North American game and Draisaitl has that. His tenacious approach to the game makes him special.

7. William Nylander, C, Sodertalje (SWE), 5-10, 170 pounds
Sometimes there are players that are so good that you have to look past their size, and this Swedish center is one of them. He has dimensional puck skills to go along with elite hockey sense and a willingness to prove people wrong when it comes to overlooking all the smaller players out there. He was one of Sweden's best players at the end of the season World U-18s. And he has a good pedigree as the son of former NHLer Michael Nylander.

8. Kasper Kapanen, LW, KalPa (FIN), 5-10, 165 pounds
You could flip a coin as to whether Kapanen or Nylander is more dominating. This undersized Finn darts in and out and plays with evasiveness and quickness. He can wow you with his individual skill. The road to the NHL is difficult for smaller players, but like Nylander, this son of former NHLer Sami Kapanen makes you a believer with all he has to offer.

William was born in Calgary, since his dad was playing for the Flames in the late 90s, but Sami was just starting his career in Hartford in 1996 and evidently Kasper was born in Finland. Plus, he was born in July.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Sam Reinhart is going to be the favorite going into the year in my estimation. Nylander's boy is going to be a fantastic challenge for 1st overall too.

He's not a "sleeper" per say, but Aaron Ekblad should show significant improvement. He has the chance to be very, very special. I like him more than Jones this year by a far sight.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Reinhart, related to the Griffin the Islanders (I believe) drafted?

Yes sir they're brothers and sons of former NHL defender Paul Reinhart. Paul was one of the most offensively creative defenders in hockey during his brief career in the NHL. He went back and forth between forward and defense. Retired at 29 due to chronic back issues. Could have been one of the best, at least numerically, defensemen in NHL history had he been able to continue. Had a higher PPG total than Housley and Leetch, though admittedly both played past their prime. 6th all time in PPG for a defenseman. Everybody above him and most within 5 or 6 spots below him are enshrined. Not surprising that his boys have such strong offensive creativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad