Who will go higher in the 04 Draft Mitch Maunu or Mike Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
TheGreek said:
Who projects as the better NHLer? Who would you compare each too? Lastly, what type of NHLer do you feel each will be?

Don't know anything about Maunu. Card is hard to predict right now; it's not clear how much his production is hampered by the system he's playing in, but his outlook has definitely slipped since last season. With Shea Weber out for a while, he should start getting more ice time in Kelowna, so we'll see what he does with it. If his offensive skills get back on track, the best case I can see is him winding up being similar to David Tanabe, with a little more of an edge. But at the moment, that's a longshot. The safe bet is a career 7th defenceman/AHLer.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
TheGreek said:
Who projects as the better NHLer? Who would you compare each too? Lastly, what type of NHLer do you feel each will be?

Maunu reminds me a lot of beloved ex-Leaf and ex-Senator Brad Marsh, just with more offensive ability. A big, burly guy with character and leadership ability who nonetheless has atrocious-looking "running on ice" style skating. He's OK once he gets a head of steam, but his footwork and pivots are brutal.

He was sort of hyped coming into the OHL; his size, aggresiveness and great hustle made him pretty dominant in minor midget. Some way-too optimistic Spitfire fans started to say early on that he had Jovanovski upside. This is apparently because Jovo was equally "raw" (i.e., awful) when he first came into the OHL.

Needless to say, I don't see the NHL in his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad