Speculation: Who will be the Canes next coach?

Who will be the Canes next coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Those of you throwing shade on Brind'Amour because of the team's lack of success, keep in mind that he has been implementing Peters' system, not his own.

One thing that's true of Brind'Amour from his playing days, he took the time to explain to his linemates how to approach a given situation on the ice. He wasn't a "we need to WANT IT MORE" kind of leader, he attempted to convey how to play the situation better. Cole and Williams have been very outspoken about that being a unique quality of his leadership, and I think it's one that would serve him well in a head coaching role.

I'm not trying to change your mind about him being right for the position, just trying to reduce some of the "I'm so done with this team if he is named coach" nonsense.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Rod Brind'Amour, in an interview, says he'd be interested in coaching Hurricanes

Brind’Amour, in turn, believes Dundon’s coming is what the Hurricanes organization has needed — someone willing to make changes, shake things up, ask questions and expect solutions.

“It’s been refreshing for me,” Brind’Amour said. “He’s put himself in the fire, too, and I like that. He’s trying to do it all but I don’t think he’s going into it saying ‘This is the way it’s going to be.’ He’s asking a lot of questions from everybody in the organization. He’s certainly passionate about what he’s doing, so I give him a lot of credit for that and I like that.

"You get the feeling we’re either going to kill it or we’re going to get killed. To be honest, I like taking that chance. Obviously we’ve been mired in, whatever the word is, mediocrity or whatever, but I think everybody would like to see us in one place or the other but not stuck in the middle. Tom wants to know what’s going on at every level and improve it at every level.”

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You get the feeling we’re either going to kill it or we’re going to get killed. To be honest, I like taking that chance. Obviously we’ve been mired in, whatever the word is, mediocrity or whatever, but I think everybody would like to see us in one place or the other but not stuck in the middle.

Amen. How can you not be pumped about that mission?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mostly haven't been a fan of hiring him just because I want an outside person at this point. But I won't go crazy if he's hired. Gold was mostly an idiot as usual, but the one thing he had right is most of his PP strategies probably ultimately came down the pipe in some sense from Peters. Anyone that's acting like they know he'll be a bad coach based on that seems out to lunch to me. We have no idea just how much overall impact or say he had as an assistant or how different he'll run things as head coach.

Reactions: cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Amen. How can you not be pumped about that mission?

I get the whole "anything is better than mediocrity" stance, but that whole "kill it or get killed" stance doesn't sit right with me.

Especially considering the odds of "get killed" are, IMO, higher. And if we "get killed" after working so hard to get where we were this year, that's such a kick in the groin.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I like to believe that he stood on the bench and muttered “is that Ryan out there AGAIN?!” all the time.

I think everyone was getting tired of that, including John and Tripp on the air, and probably Dundon. Looking back, it's entirely possible Peters has known he was gone pretty much when Dundon came on board, and certainly knew it when Francis was bumped further upstairs. The ice time decisions from that point forward were probably based more on getting his pending-UFA buddy a new contract and not what was best for the Carolina Hurricanes in the long term. The way Peters handled this entire season borders on professional incompetence. Very glad Calgary can't see that, for some reason.

As for our new coach, I have no issues with Brindy, although I can see the desire to go outside the organization. I just think he's pretty close to what we need. He connects with the players very well, and he won't take any crap. For all his talk about accountability, Peters really did nothing to reinforce his words. I think Brindy will. His first decision as head coach will probably be installing JW as captain and the entire mood will change from that point. I actually like the hire. I think a lot of good can come from a leadership core like Brindy, Williams and Cam Ward.

I'd also be OK with making Vellucci the head coach in Raleigh and Brindy in Charlotte.

I have no desire to hire a retread like Hartley or Vigneault just to say our new coach has NHL experience. Quenneville or Trotz would be another conversation entirely.

I think those who are waiting for a splashy GM hire are going to be disappointed. I think we have our guys (Waddell, Francis, Olczyk, Vellucci, Brindy, Krepelka, Tatum), and they'll work together to get the job done. This is why the coaching search will go on without an "official" GM. We're not getting a GM, in the traditional sense of the position.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
My problem with brindy is he wouldn't even be considered if his name wasn't rod brind'amour. It would be a sign of cronyism and hiring someone with so little experience (and NO head coach experience) is incredibly reckless. I just don't understand why rod never went down to head charlotte if he had head coach ambitions. Even one year just to show something. But we have no idea how he'd perform and that's scary. Vellucci I'm more comfortable with, he's taken the initiative and shown he can be successful.

As for front office, I doubt Dundon is done. If he's hiring people for specific roles, you gotta think he's gonna find people to specialize in amateur scouting, pro scouting, development, trades, etc. No way Paul is the last piece in the puzzle for management.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
FWIW, I’m voting Vellucci both as the pick I’m hoping for and the one that I think will be picked by The Committee. However, I’ll definitely come off of the latter if the Checkers blow this series lead.

I’d like to see Brind’Amour coach in CLT...I think he could do big things for the kids’ development, and the kids could do big things for his development in return.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You have to wonder Brindy would accept the Charlotte job. He's made it known that he thinks he's a fit for the big job. If they hire someone else, you gotta think they get a few years, so he's kind of blocked at that point. I wonder if it's ideal to have someone who's very obviously gunning for the job as Canes head coach sitting in Charlotte. How long does Brindy wait down there before moving on? Now, if he only cares about being a head coach, and doesn't care if it's here, that's probably a great move for his future in that regard.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I wish the team weren't on this decade long losing streak, because I'd be curious to see what Brindy can do. He's one of those 'never bet against him' types.

But after Muller/Peters, I'd just like to see a coach that we know won't be the problem going into the season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Brindy has zero experience as a head coach. None. Do we think he actually has a system? Where has he tried that system out? We don’t need experiments. There’s nothing wrong with him going to Charlotte first.

I know Peters was an x’s and o’s guy and we didn’t like him but let’s not get carried away in the other direction. There’s a lot that goes on with this job, and no one should just be given an NHL team without a little practice first.

This would be such a JR move, I’m really surprised anyone would be ok with it. There’s no reason to give him the team other than, “it’s Brindy, we love that guy”. He has no track record. Nothing to show he deserves it. Charlotte makes sense, keeps him here while finding out if he has any idea what he’s doing.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Sure, Rod may be the best Hurricane player ever, but Wayne freakin' Gretzky is the best player in the history of the NHL and he didn't exactly set the world on fire as a head coach, did he? Having said that, I don't know that Rod is better or worse than anyone else. If all those other NHL-experienced coaches were great, they wouldn't need jobs. Rod has a connection to the club, a passion for player fitness, and is definitely skilled in lots of hockey areas. Who knows how he might do if allowed to run his own team? I'd be okay if he was picked, I'd be okay if he wasn't.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Brindy has zero experience as a head coach. None. Do we think he actually has a system? Where has he tried that system out? We don’t need experiments. There’s nothing wrong with him going to Charlotte first.

I know Peters was an x’s and o’s guy and we didn’t like him but let’s not get carried away in the other direction. There’s a lot that goes on with this job, and no one should just be given an NHL team without a little practice first.

This would be such a JR move, I’m really surprised anyone would be ok with it. There’s no reason to give him the team other than, “it’s Brindy, we love that guy”. He has no track record. Nothing to show he deserves it. Charlotte makes sense, keeps him here while finding out if he has any idea what he’s doing.
I’m right there with you.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Everyone does realize there are coaches that have only been assistants that have been promoted to head coaches before, right? It's not like this would be the first time it's ever happened. It's not the norm. I don't know how successful it is on the whole. But it has happened.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I’m hoping Boudreau is fired by the Wild and we can get him. We need someone who knows how to design an offense.

After living in DC and watching BB coach...no team that doesn't have the Pens roster should ever want Boudreau as a coach. Yes, he can design an offense...but it's all he does.

His teams are coached for outgunning opponents and wide-open play.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad