Boston Bruins Who will be the Bruins first round opponent?

Who will be the Bruins first round opponent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
For almost 3 months the assumption was the Bruins would meet Toronto but now that is no longer certain.

The winner of the Atlantic will be the #1 seed in the East and that means playing Wild Card 2 which today would be New Jersey but it could be Philadelphia, Columbus or Florida. It is also possible Toronto could catch the Bruins and though unlikely they could catch Tampa Bay as well.

After what happened Saturday night in Tampa, the last 3 weeks now promise to be very interesting.

upload_2018-3-18_0-20-8.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins are also going to play a role in Western Conference races.

Lets look at the schedule

BRUINS

upload_2018-3-18_2-42-59.png

TAMPA BAY
upload_2018-3-18_2-41-47.png

TORONTO
upload_2018-3-18_2-51-36.png

Tampa has a far easier schedule the rest of the way not only in home games but they are not playing desperate teams like the Bruins are. The Bruins are hurt because TD Garden was is available because they are hosting the East Regional in NCAA hoops.

:popcorn:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
With the wildcard race so tight, it changes day to day. My instinct a couple of days ago was Columbus, and that's partly because I can't see the Blue Jackets working hard to get Pittsburgh in the first round.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With the wildcard race so tight, it changes day to day. My instinct a couple of days ago was Columbus, and that's partly because I can't see the Blue Jackets working hard to get Pittsburgh in the first round.

Pittsburgh wants that 'Threepeat' badly and they will be a hard team to knock out.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Pittsburgh wants that 'Threepeat' badly and they will be a hard team to knock out.

Personally I thought we'd never see a repeat champion in the salary cap era. They've already proven me wrong on that one. I know the three-peat is a big motivating factor, as well as the fact they haven't lost a playoff series under Mike Sullivan.

I can't help but think in some way we can't foresee, not having Marc Andre Fleury will hurt them, even though Murray is their starter. They also addressed their center depth by adding Brassard.

What's scary about them is they seem to know how and when to hit the proverbial switch. Should they meet the Caps again in the playoffs, the psychological battle for Washington will be intense. I don't know that the franchise could handle another playoff loss to Pittsburgh with Ovie in his prime.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Personally I thought we'd never see a repeat champion in the salary cap era. They've already proven me wrong on that one. I know the three-peat is a big motivating factor, as well as the fact they haven't lost a playoff series under Mike Sullivan.

I can't help but think in some way we can't foresee, not having Marc Andre Fleury will hurt them, even though Murray is their starter. They also addressed their center depth by adding Brassard.

What's scary about them is they seem to know how and when to hit the proverbial switch. Should they meet the Caps again in the playoffs, the psychological battle for Washington will be intense. I don't know that the franchise could handle another playoff loss to Pittsburgh with Ovie in his prime.

This picture captures being a Caps fan and this happened when the Bruins won Game 6 in 2012 to force a Game 7 that we try to forget.

caps-fan-anxiety.jpg

The Bruins had the same problem for nearly 20 years - not advancing past the second round until 2011 but the Caps frustration is mindboggling.

We as Bruins fans are heading into the playoffs this year with no expectations beyond advancing to Round 2 and then.................

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
That first roadtrip is ugly. I will be happy if they just survive the rest of the way but this team has proven to be so resilient that i have to believe in that 1st place.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That first roadtrip is ugly. I will be happy if they just survive the rest of the way but this team has proven to be so resilient that i have to believe in that 1st place.

St Louis and Dallas are winnable - however the B's never do well against the Wild and Winnipeg is very good at home.

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
Its going to be Toronto. Tampa's schedule is pretty easy compared to the Bruins.

If the Maple Leafs win I'll need to take a hiatus from HFBoards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad