Olympics: Who will be Team Canada's Captain?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Personally I dont really care who gets the C, but I do know this.

There will be pressure on Crosby to score goals. There will not be the same pressure on Toews, but for him it will be to win faceoffs, and kill penalties.

We know Crosby came under fire because he was quiet in the medal rounds until the golden goal. Adding the 'C' on his jersey would add pressure to live up to Gretzky and Lemieux.

So basically, I think Toews will be a great choice.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I doubt they will pick Toews ahead of Crosby for captaincy... Toews is younger and though he has had a lot of success, Crosby has both seniority and Alternate captaincy in 2010. Plus Crosby is more use to dealing with the pressure of national expectations.

That said, I actually think Babcock will pick a 3rd person to be captain... someone older than either Crosby or Toews. The player will be someone with international Team Canada experience and the captain of his own team (Weber? Staal?). In this situation, Crosby and Toews would be named Alternates. By using seniority as a reason, it alleviates the inevitable captain controversy (there will be griping no matter who they pick), while still giving Crosby and Toews leadership roles (but less pressure so they can do their thing).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I doubt they will pick Toews ahead of Crosby for captaincy... Toews is younger and though he has had a lot of success, Crosby has both seniority and Alternate captaincy in 2010. Plus Crosby is more use to dealing with the pressure of national expectations.

That said, I actually think Babcock will pick a 3rd person to be captain... someone older than either Crosby or Toews. The player will be someone with international Team Canada experience and the captain of his own team (Weber? Staal?). In this situation, Crosby and Toews would be named Alternates. By using seniority as a reason, it alleviates the inevitable captain controversy (there will be griping no matter who they pick), while still giving Crosby and Toews leadership roles (but less pressure so they can do their thing).

Hawks fan saying I'd pick crosby as 'c' for canada over toews.

leaving aside alll comments on the issue the reality is when the team turns up in russia crosby will be the most high profile player and, rightly or wrongly, the player everyone expects the most of.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
There's no chance a player younger than Crosby would be named captain over him. The only candidates besides Crosby would be an older team Canada veteran, and I don't know who that would be...

Except Luongo, of course. Lu has been a captain before, in the NHL. He's led team Canada to a gold medal.

I'd say Crosby is the most likely candidate, with Luongo a close second.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
One these two:
tumblr_mq5tfpddYH1sz7o69o1_500.jpg

Seabrook, clearly a leadership guy, when he did this:
tumblr_mpr5qekSXi1sz7o69o1_500.jpg

I'd be happy with
tumblr_mpha3t0umN1sz7o69o1_500.jpg

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Except Luongo, of course. Lu has been a captain before, in the NHL. He's led team Canada to a gold medal.

I'd say Crosby is the most likely candidate, with Luongo a close second.
The international rulebook allows a goalie to be captain even less than the NHL one.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I didn't know IIHF didn't allow goaltenders to be captain... the more you know
As far as I'm aware, the NHL doesn't allow it either. Yes, Luongo was the Canucks' captain, but in a technical sense he wasn't. Not allowed to carry the 'C' on his jersey, not allowed to handle any of the ceremonial duties associated with the captaincy... etc. He might have filled the role and everything associated with it in the locker room, but on the ice, the nucks had what was in essence a vacancy.

But yeah, the IIHF does not even allow skirting around the issue, because there's no such thing as vacant captaincy on international ice. You have 20 skaters on the team, and you slap the letter on one of them.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
C- Sidney Crosby
A - Shea Weber
A - Duncan Keith
A - Jonathan Toews

I think you have them if they go with three alternates. I love Toews, but Sid has to be the captain. If they were splitting the captain then Crosby and Toews.

Jaden

Apr 7, 2013
Crosby has to be the captain. Back in '10, I expected him to be the captain but it went to a veteran and thought Scott was more deserving. It's Sid's time to wear the C now

joe_shannon_1983*

Crosby will be C, and Toews will be A.

It is similar to Gretzky/Messier once upon a time.

Gretzky was the face of the Edmonton Oilers and Team Canada, and got the C because of it. Even though Messier was possibly the better leader, as evidenced by his successes as a captain after Gretzky.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
Crosby will be C, and Toews will be A.

It is similar to Gretzky/Messier once upon a time.

Gretzky was the face of the Edmonton Oilers and Team Canada, and got the C because of it. Even though Messier was possibly the better leader, as evidenced by his successes as a captain after Gretzky.

Wow someone here who actually understands the game, we should have you bronzed. :handclap:

Lord Flacko*

Should be Crosby, a close second is Weber (although I think Weber is a better leader).

Crosby - C
Weber - A
St. Louis - A

Toews and Giroux are next in line to get A's if injuries occur to one of these 3.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'd prefer Toews or someone else since I don't think Crosby is a great captain. But given the 2010 Olympics, Crosby will probably be the captain.

giraffefeet

Aug 21, 2013
This is no question it should be Sidney crosby i mean he scored the winning goal for canada 2010 i mean it will probably be tight against Sidney Crosby and Toews but Sidney Crosby is better and well he actually played with one of the most talented player of all time Mario and Wayne actually was comparing Sidney to him and Crosby is one of three people who got into juniors 2 years before he was the right age! Go Crosby

DyerMaker66*

This is no question it should be Sidney crosby i mean he scored the winning goal for canada 2010 i mean it will probably be tight against Sidney Crosby and Toews but Sidney Crosby is better and well he actually played with one of the most talented player of all time Mario and Wayne actually was comparing Sidney to him and Crosby is one of three people who got into juniors 2 years before he was the right age! Go Crosby

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
I think it will be Weber for 4 reasons:

1. Babcock is used to having a Dman captain (Lidstrom). I'm not saying it compels him to choose a Dman, but it seems like the more comfortable choice

2. The captain will probably be whomever Team Canada wants as the face and representation of the team identity. Weber represents the grizzled canadian who will make you earn every inch.

3. Picking Weber avoids the Crosby/Toews conflict.

4. the Beard.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I think it will be Weber for 4 reasons:

1. Babcock is used to having a Dman captain (Lidstrom). I'm not saying it compels him to choose a Dman, but it seems like the more comfortable choice

2. The captain will probably be whomever Team Canada wants as the face and representation of the team identity. Weber represents the grizzled canadian who will make you earn every inch.

3. Picking Weber avoids the Crosby/Toews conflict.

4. the Beard.

Weber will not be the captain.

It's Crosby and it's the easiest decision the team will make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad