Who will be rebuilding next season?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I expect that the Greyhounds could be pretty decent again next year, but the draft pick situation will necessitate some moves.

Sarnia and Kingston look like clear cut rebuild situations.

Reactions: LDN

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Sarnia, Kingston and Hamilton come to mind.

The Steelheads are in a position where they could decide to rebuild but I don't think ownership and management would want to

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I expect that the Greyhounds could be pretty decent again next year, but the draft pick situation will necessitate some moves.

Sarnia and Kingston look like clear cut rebuild situations.
Kingston could be good again if Valardi, Robertson and Rasanen return.
Sarnia could be a playoff squad as well with Mcgregor, Ruzicka, the d men....

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
HAM is definitely in a rebuild. Erie is too (I think they move Lodnia/Maksimovich)

SSM/KGN/BAR/SAR/KIT all have some pieces left but need to start moving guys in order to get picks back since they all spent big this year at the deadline and non will be good enough to win next year. Frost/Vilardi/Thomas/Ruzicka could all be available at the deadline next year as itll be all their last years in the league (Thomas/Vilardi have outside shots to make the NHL and next year and never be back in the O)

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Rebuilding is a very staggered point in this league especially in now with how managers trade players and picks around now it's more of a buy in for now or sell off for tomorrow mentality now

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Just watched that Caufield kid for the US in the U18 Worlds and the announcers were heaping some praise on him. If he'd report plus Kupari show up that's like having 2nd rounders that we didn't have in this draft. Hopefully that would make us even more competitive and get back some quality OA's as well! Ahhhh it's like The Lion King....The Circle of Life!!! LOL

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Erie is clearly rebuilding. Flint, Peterborough, and Sudbury can be considered to be in the latter stage of building.
This year’s contenders are in pretty decent shape. Kitchener actually has a surplus of picks counting the conditional picks Barrie will return from the Tortora transaction. Hamilton (extra OA) and Kingston (good OA) have a lot of ‘99s. They should be good until the deadline, at least. The Soo will be fine too, as long as they have Frost to trade at the deadline.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There are many different stages of rebuilding or retooling but I classify it as teams that are likely selling off/too young

Teams likely to do that next year:
Peterborough
Sudbury
Hamilton
Kingston
Flint
Erie
Windsor
Sarnia
Kitchener
SSM
Owen Sound

These are just teams that really will lose so much or are still too young to have any realistic shot at winning a championship. Just my opinion of the list. I’m sure there are others I missed. This was off the top of head. And I’m sure some may disagree on my list. But rebuilding is so vague. So many different levels of it.
Personally I think you have to look at current draft pick situation, selling/buying players , age of team, and if their win total is likely to improve or decline

Reactions: Truthking

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie is clearly rebuilding. Flint, Peterborough, and Sudbury can be considered to be in the latter stage of building.
This year’s contenders are in pretty decent shape. Kitchener actually has a surplus of picks counting the conditional picks Barrie will return from the Tortora transaction. Hamilton (extra OA) and Kingston (good OA) have a lot of ‘99s. They should be good until the deadline, at least. The Soo will be fine too, as long as they have Frost to trade at the deadline.
the simple fact with Kitchener for me is who they likely lose -

Sherwood
Mascherin
Bunnaman
Brown
Smith
Stanley
Hall
McEnery
Culina

1 or 2 of these guys could return. I don’t know. But sorry that is way to much for them to be anything but “rebuilding” or “retooling” - if they make no moves, they won’t be anything more than a 30 win team IF that

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
the simple fact with Kitchener for me is who they likely lose -

Sherwood
Mascherin
Bunnaman
Brown
Smith
Stanley
Hall
McEnery
Culina

1 or 2 of these guys could return. I don’t know. But sorry that is way to much for them to be anything but “rebuilding” or “retooling” - if they make no moves, they won’t be anything more than a 30 win team IF that

Sure the Rangers lose a lot. But Hall likely plays an OA season. Though unlikely, there is a possibility that Mascherin and Bunnaman could play an OA season. Neither are absolute locks to graduate as are Brown and Stanley.

All that being said, if those two don't return, I don't see the Rangers going into sell mode. The simple reason being that their 1999 birth year players wouldn't bring a lot in return and all are very good bets to play OA seasons in 2019-20.

The '99's, Meireles, McHugh, Garreffa, Yantsis and Richardson wouldn't bring in a ton in return. So we may see the Rangers stand pat for the most part next year, finish middle of the pack, and target the following year as a year where they may contend again with guys like Damiani and Vallati in their 19 year old year. By then they'll be dipping back into the import draft where they could bring in high end quality. Vukojevic will be in his third year and the above '99's will be very good OA's.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

One of those picks from the Tortora deal is already gone. The conditional 2nd in 2025 to Guelph in the Smith deal turns into the 2020 2nd once it comes back from Barrie.

Reactions: dirty12

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The Soo return Frost, Hayton, Villata, Howdeshell, Roth, Hollowell likely.. and Sandin pending if his NHL team wants him to stay in NA. Also Kupari (potential NHL 1st rounder) is our property and was rumoured to report this year. Also an import who pending future NHL team could be asked to develop in North America. Put those players together with the fact we had 8 to 9 rookies playing for us this year at points and our one of the best at selecting late in the draft. No need to rebuild if you continue to get above average production in late rounds.

Reactions: count35 and LDN

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The Soo return Frost, Hayton, Villata, Howdeshell, Roth, Hollowell likely.. and Sandin pending if his NHL team wants him to stay in NA. Also Kupari (potential NHL 1st rounder) is our property and was rumoured to report this year. Also an import who pending future NHL team could be asked to develop in North America. Put those players together with the fact we had 8 to 9 rookies playing for us this year at points and our one of the best at selecting late in the draft. No need to rebuild if you continue to get above average production in late rounds.

I don't care how well the team drafts, we still need to get most of those picks back before contending for a championship again. This core is littered with high picks.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sarnia, Kingston and Hamilton come to mind.

The Steelheads are in a position where they could decide to rebuild but I don't think ownership and management would want to

Sarnia only loses 5 or 6 players next year without making any moves or adding in any draft choices.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
It's not how many, it's WHO Sarnia loses next year that puts them back in the pack again next year.

They have some real good young talent so it won't be a total rebuild but rather a down year compared to this year as they start to build towards another run.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't care how well the team drafts, we still need to get most of those picks back before contending for a championship again. This core is littered with high picks.

So rather than potentially contending again... you trade players that can contend in hopes that you get players that turn out to be just as good as what your trading away? The elite teams in the CHL rarely have the same down cycle as other teams because they find quality in the late picks and import draft and free agent areas, which we have. The hound in all likely hood next year have a good chance at being a top 4 squad in the West. You dont sell in those situatuons... I could be wrong, but lots can happen by training camp. American kids report... Finnish kids report after the NHL draft ... we will see.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So rather than potentially contending again... you trade players that can contend in hopes that you get players that turn out to be just as good as what your trading away? The elite teams in the CHL rarely have the same down cycle as other teams because they find quality in the late picks and import draft and free agent areas, which we have. The hound in all likely hood next year have a good chance at being a top 4 squad in the West. You dont sell in those situatuons... I could be wrong, but lots can happen by training camp. American kids report... Finnish kids report after the NHL draft ... we will see.

The ‘elite’ teams such as; London, Kitchener, Oshawa, & Windsor sell regularly, sometimes while in a position to have home ice for Rnd 1 of the playoffs. Niagara is on their way to elite status, it seems to me.
SSM should at least re-tool as they have only Hayton & O’Rourke to show for the 1st round born 1998-2002. SSM (barring trades) for 2018-19 has one 3rd on the roster; and, will have no 2nd born 1998-2004. Three, maybe four - 4ths will graduate.
The hounds have some holes they really should fill if they want to compete beyond next season. Consider that London, Saginaw, Guelph, Kitchener, Flint, Windsor return more players, made at least four picks before SSM made their 2nd in what is believed to be an excellent draft, and have way better draft cupboards going forward.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Who is this elite team that never trades away players? I never said it had to be a Sudbury Wolves situation.

Sure we're good at getting late round value, but there's no substitution for high picks. Where would the current team be with Katchouk, Gettinger, Timmins, Frost, Verbeek? They were all taken from the 2nd to 4th round.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Sure the Rangers lose a lot. But Hall likely plays an OA season. Though unlikely, there is a possibility that Mascherin and Bunnaman could play an OA season. Neither are absolute locks to graduate as are Brown and Stanley.

All that being said, if those two don't return, I don't see the Rangers going into sell mode. The simple reason being that their 1999 birth year players wouldn't bring a lot in return and all are very good bets to play OA seasons in 2019-20.

The '99's, Meireles, McHugh, Garreffa, Yantsis and Richardson wouldn't bring in a ton in return. So we may see the Rangers stand pat for the most part next year, finish middle of the pack, and target the following year as a year where they may contend again with guys like Damiani and Vallati in their 19 year old year. By then they'll be dipping back into the import draft where they could bring in high end quality. Vukojevic will be in his third year and the above '99's will be very good OA's.

Based on this year with McKenzie as GM, I am not worried at all.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

Mascherin back would be fun if only to see him challenge Dwight Foster's career scoring record (though I'd miss his awful teen 'stache hanging from the rafters). He needs 86 points, I think.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Guelph... major rebuild... for all the wrong reasons it appears..hope I'm wrong... butta..this clubs headin fer the wall.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I dont think OS is as much of a rebuild as some think.. but it all depends on who is returned from the pros I think...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad