Who will be in and who will be out of the playoffs in the East?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A bit off topic, but does anyone want to try and predict the Western Conference standings come playoff time? :D

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Teams that I thought would be in this season but won't include NYR, Fla, TB, Wsh. Teams I didn't think would make it in but will are Mtl, Car, NJ and Wpg. I had the Islanders in and Toronto out. Not sure about either right now, but it'll go down to the wire.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
A bit off topic, but does anyone want to try and predict the Western Conference standings come playoff time? :D

I'll try but I don't watch any Western games really so i'm really not qualified.

1.:ducks
2.:hawks
3.:nucks
4. :kings
5. :blues
6. :sharks
7. :wild
8. :coyotes

HM- :edmonton:wings:nashville

Ducks over Coyotes in 4
Chicago over wild in 7
Sharks over Canucks in 6
Kings over Blues in 5

Ducks over Sharks in 5
Chicago over Kings in 5

Ducks over Chicago in 7

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'll keep this is in the same thread instead of starting a new one. I'm looking at our possible first round matchup , and its between a handful of teams. Which matchup would you prefer out of Toronto, NYR, NJD, Carolina , and Winnepeg. While the isles have been hanging in there, I just don't see it. Tampa neither, but anything can happen.

So to me , those are the teams. As of now. Jersey is the first team scratched off my list. We've usually had the rangers number, but if those guys heat up towards end of season and Richards/Gabby finally start producing they are next off my list. Don't want Carolina in the first ( save that staal matchup for possible second round ). To me it's between the leafs and jets..two teams that don't know the playoffs too well. A series against either of them would be pretty exciting considering how long both of those fan bases have been waiting to see their teams in the post season.

Leafs could wear us down a bit...tough team and play us well. That leaves the jets . Team that started the whiteout ;)

StoneColdFlower*

1. Pittsburgh (We've got this sewn up if we stay relatively healthy and keep pucks out of the other team's net. Even though our talent at wing is suspect, we're too strong everywhere else, there's no doubt that we can light up the scoreboard on any given night, and the return of Letang and Malkin should get us through the Islanders and the Flyers. We're also due to "regress" back to the mean with respect to our special teams, and that should only help us.)

2. Boston (Our biggest threat, and my pick to win the conference prior to our streak and to our defense starting to improve. There's a reason that they're consistently elite and that they nearly snapped our streak twice.)

3. Carolina (By default, really, but they're still better than last year's Panthers. They're more talented than the Jets, who are more than due to cool off, and with Washington in shambles and TB dealing with both pathetic goaltending and the lost of Vinny, it's to imagine them not winning the SE.)

4. Montreal (Much better than I expected, but still not better than Boston. They're too far above the pack to fall below 4th, but I don't see them staying this good all season.)

5. Toronto (Lupul, Frattin, and Reimer are back. Kadri and goaltenders playing above expectations. Look for them to continue bouncing back from their losing streak. )

6. NJ (I think they'll catch up to Ottawa, but I have suspicion that Toronto will finish too strongly to keep them higher than 6th. Definitely don't want to face them in the post-season.)

7. Ottawa (Even unhealthy, this team has been badly underestimated again. With a roster as depleted as the mess we faced in 2011, the Senators have managed to overcome adversity to an extent that few would have ever imagined and find ways either to win or to rack up loser points. It won't last forever, and the Michalek surgery and the Methot injury are both important setbacks, but they've done well enough that they should be able to hold out, their coaching is first rate, Gonchar is playing some of the best hockey of his career, and Anderson and Spezza should come back just in time to keep them afloat.)

8. Rangers (Somebody has to come in 8th, and they're easily the best of the rest. I definitely like our chances against either the Rangers or the Senators , but I'd rather we play Ottawa, if only so that I can watch playoff hockey live again this year. That said, we should easily be able to exploit home ice advantage against a team with such lackluster coaching.)

Lamar Latrell

Jun 25, 2007
I think these are relevant:
Sports Club Stats
Playoff Status

These stats are overly dependent on current season performance. The Flyers have been poor, while the Canadiens have been very good relative to most followers perceptions. It would stand to reason that those teams future performance will be closer together than this year's performance implies. This is to say the the Flyers 6% chance is pessimistic while Ottawa's is overly optimistic. These things tend to regress.

IMHO:
1) Pit
2) Bos
3) Wpg
4) Mtl
5) NYR
6) Car
7) Ott
8) NJ

Last edited:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Carolina
4. Montreal
5. NY Rangers
6. Toronto
7. New Jersey
8. Ottawa
9. Winnipeg
10. NY Islanders
11. Philadelphia
12. Tampa Bay
13. Washington
14. Florida
15. Buffalo (BOLD PREDICTION: Surprise Miller trade at deadline in preparation for total blowup.)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Just hope we avoid NJ and Philly in the first round. I'd be fairly comfortable with anyone else.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
1. Pittsburgh (We've got this sewn up if we stay relatively healthy and keep pucks out of the other team's net. Even though our talent at wing is suspect, we're too strong everywhere else, there's no doubt that we can light up the scoreboard on any given night, and the return of Letang and Malkin should get us through the Islanders and the Flyers. We're also due to "regress" back to the mean with respect to our special teams, and that should only help us.)QUOTE]

Are we going to lull teams into a false sense of security and win games in SO's the rest of the way or we gonna loan out Martin and Tang to help other teams win that we would match up better against in the playoffs? :sarcasm:;)

I DO NOT want to play the Flyers in the 1st round. I'm gonna avoid talking smack on them or kicking them while their down bc I don't trust the situation yet. Not saying they want the situation they're in but with them anything could happen.

Otherwise I do think...
1. Boston
2. Pittsburgh
3. Carolina
4. New Jersey
5. Montreal
6. Ottawa
7. NY Rangers
8. Toronto

For the West lets go....
1. Chicago
2. Anaheim