Who was Mats Sundin the greatest since?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dave Keon (1960s)---> Darryl Sittler (1970s) ---> Wendel Clark (1980s) ---> Doug Gilmour (1990s) ---> Mats Sundin (2000s)

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Dave Keon (1960s)---> Darryl Sittler (1970s) ---> Wendel Clark (1980s) ---> Doug Gilmour (1990s) ---> Mats Sundin (2000s)

Reckon the (2010s) is on our team currently or has he not donned the Leaf yet?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I agree, I wasn't born when he was playing but just reading articles, looking at stats and some old games on LeafsTV, he was the real deal. Voting for him.

It felt like just last season I sat down to watch him.... good times. :laugh:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I assure you all there has been no player since that has been as great a Leaf as Borje...and this has nothing to due with nationality

In my opinion, even with all the records Mats shattered...I truly think Salming was the greatest Leaf since Mats but not before Vaive, Keon or Sittler.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I assure you all there has been no player since that has been as great a Leaf as Borje...and this has nothing to due with nationality

In my opinion, even with all the records Mats shattered...I truly think Salming was the greatest Leaf since Mats but not before Vaive, Keon or Sittler.

Salming can't be the greatest Leafs since Mats, as Mats played after Salming.

All you have to say is "Salming is a better player then Mats"

ForSpareParts*

I put Sundin over Lanny and Vaive.

I do not put him over Keon, Salming, Sittler, and (especially) Gilmour.

I do think Sundin was a very good international player. It's too bad he wasn't given better line mates on the Leafs. I would have posted differently.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Totally agree on that. I still rank Sittler above Clark and Gilmour (who were great Leafs no doubt about it) though so I voted for him.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Gilmour, absolutely.

That said, after (before?) Dougie, the next player who was as good or better than Mats was probably Sittler. No one else in the Leafs history post-expansion has put together all-around offensive skill, defensive reliability, power, leadership and durability like those three.

Clark was an excellent leader and a solid player, but he wasn't as consistently good or as much of an all-around player as Mats was. Clark could hit like a truck and had the deadliest wrist shot in the league, but he couldn't play defense if his life depended on it, and he had no vision on the ice. Even if he was healthy throughout his career, I don't think he quite lives up to the level of Sittler/Gilmour/Sundin.

Vaive, while he was definitely a top player, just didn't really have that extra intangible that the others had. He had all of the tools, but they just weren't as absolutely dominant as Mats, Doug and Darryl's were. He was like Dave Andreychuk without Doug Gilmour.

McDonald had pretty much the same skill-set as Clark, except he wasn't as tough and was more durable.

Keon is too far before me to allow me to make an accurate assessment of him. Hell, Sittler, McDonald and Vaive might be, too, but anyway... :laugh:

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Hit Wendel instead of Gilmour, oops. I'm just terrified Clark will read what I said one day and come to my house to "correct" me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad